New Firmware for Friday 4 February 2011

The FTP server doesn't support passive mode so a lot of FTP clients just stop dead when it refuses to accept the PASV command, resulting in an empty screen. So far no luck with Firefox, Safari, Cyberduck or the MacOSX finder. Works fine via command line FTP however.

So it's BBC who won't let them d/l to disk? Seems a bit odd when you can do it in the desktop iPlayer
The desktop iplayer has built in time out mechanism which is continually updated. I believ this is needed for foreign broadcasters to give the BBC the right to put their programmes on iplayer. Adding this in would add another layer of complexity. If they could satisfy the BBC and other broadcasters that the protection was satisfactory they may be able to do it at a later date, but as first drop of the software I'm OK with not having it (even though I'm one of the people for whom the iplayer is worthless without it).

The desktop iplayer has built in time out mechanism which is continually updated. I believ this is needed for foreign broadcasters to give the BBC the right to put their programmes on iplayer. Adding this in would add another layer of complexity. If they could satisfy the BBC and other broadcasters that the protection was satisfactory they may be able to do it at a later date, but as first drop of the software I'm OK with not having it (even though I'm one of the people for whom the iplayer is worthless without it).

My understanding is that the expiry date is stored as metadata in the video file and the iPlayer determines whether you can still watch it or not. Once it's expired IIRC it doesn't get deleted from your disk. If that is the case why should it add any more complexity to the Hummy s/w?

I don't know the details but I've had movable expirey dates on downloads. When I downloaded "Turn Back Time" it was origiunally set to expire mid December but that date kept moving and ended up in mid January. From that behaviour I guessed there must be continual updates of the meta data. WHether this is stored in the video file or an external database I don't know.
All I know is that I have insufficient real information on which to make a judgement .

Does anyone know what is the point of keeping series, which have now finished, in the media list? As I understand if a series 2 was to start at a later time it will not be recorded because it might have some different ID. I may be wrong of course.

Does anyone know what is the point of keeping series, which have now finished, in the media list? As I understand if a series 2 was to start at a later time it will not be recorded because it might have some different ID. I may be wrong of course.
Do you mean in the Schedule list? You are right that a new series would be unlikely to be picked up because it would probably have a different series crid.

The reason that scheduled series link timers stay in the schedule list after the series is finished is because there is nothing to tell the box that the series has finished. So the box doesn't know if the series is taking a break for some reason, or has actually finished. The box should remove redundant series timers after a certain time has passed since it last set a timer, I think that it was 13 weeks with the 9200.

If you know that the series has finished, you can delete the redundant timer manually.

You should be able to run them through ProjectX and a muxer to convert them to .mpg files, and from there to any format you want. I'm going to give it a go and will post the results..

@af123 - did you manage to try this yet?

Yes, but no luck. I didn't realise they were going to be encrypted if you download them over FTP.

got back from newton abbot in 3hrs 35 mins, record time!!

switched unit off an back on lo and behold i have an updated machine!! background delete only thing i've spotted so far, cant use portal, waiting for devolo homeplugs to arrive, said they'd be here today, ethernet cables arrived but no plugs, damn it!

I've been away for the weekend, and my box has been left turned on. There is no way it could have gone into standby, yet when I got home I have the new software! I thought it only updated in standby?

i was the same, i guess it updates anyway but relies on switching off and on the generate the update?? there was no notification of it happening, people mentioned the %age pausing while it did it, but mine just appeared by magic!

The FTP server doesn't support passive mode so a lot of FTP clients just stop dead when it refuses to accept the PASV command, resulting in an empty screen. So far no luck with Firefox, Safari, Cyberduck or the MacOSX finder. Works fine via command line FTP however.

I used Fetch which worked, not free I know but you can try it free for 15 days

Then you need to turn off Passive mode (PASV) in the ftp client. I would have thought Cyberduck would have an option for this, and the FireFTP add-on for Firefox definitely does (checkbox on the Connections tab in the connection dialogue). I'll try connecting to my HDR using FireFTP tonight.

Edit: Yep, cyberduck can do it - http://trac.cyberduck.ch/wiki/help/en/howto/ftp

Back