Aaah - Something corrupted after unprogrammed reset

antipodean

My HDR-FOX T2 went into power down mode this morning, and in the process has reset all its setup.
When I rebooted it decided it need to scan channels ... yada yada yada.

After getting the network configured again and restoring the backup I find it will not show the EPG on the WebIF.

Investigating the settings brought up this oddity ...

Untitled.jpg

Note the line in the drop down that has an error message.
Also all the later selection bars show as short bars below this opened selection, and clicking on any of them just closes the EPG settings bar and nothing displays below it.

But because the EPG won't populate it will not load any new entries I make from the RS, as it cannot find them in the internal EPG.

However the on-screen EPG that you open on the remote does appear to have populated, so it is recording the entries in the restored recording list.

What do i need to do to correct this problem please.
TIA

After getting the network configured again and restoring the backup I find it will not show the EPG on the WebIF
Your setup database is corrupt somehow. If you can, it might be interesting to see the output from a command prompt of:
Code:
cd /var/lib/humaxtv
ls -l *.db
and then either delete it rm setup.db or, preferably, rename it mv setup.db setup_old.db.
Reboot and see what happens.
Also all the later selection bars show as short bars below this opened selection, and clicking on any of them just closes the EPG settings bar and nothing displays below it.
The error handling isn't very clever, and the modular nature of the settings plugins means the epg one abends (causing cascading errors due to the database error) leaving unfinished HTML, when then makes the rest of the page invalid, so it doesn't work.
I've put in a fix for the error handling.
If you can get the setup.db file off the box, I would be interested in looking at it.

Given that something has gone wrong on the disk that has both corrupted settings and forced the setup wizard it might be wise to run fix-disk to check for any other problems

OK, thanks guys. I'll set out to sort those out tomorrow. Meanwhile it is doing basic running for the moment.

Given that something has gone wrong on the disk that has both corrupted settings and forced the setup wizard it might be wise to run fix-disk
The databases in question are in flash, not on the disk.

Your setup database is corrupt somehow. If you can, it might be interesting to see the output from a command prompt of:
Code:
cd /var/lib/humaxtv
ls -l *.db
and then either delete it rm setup.db or, preferably, rename it mv setup.db setup_old.db.
Reboot and see what happens.

I cannot access the Hummy using Putty (comes up with 'connection refused' using SSH and Telnet) and using the Webif Diagnostics Database Browser it doesn't show any content, although it shows logical looking content on most of the other *.db files.

using Putty without SSH opens the Humax menu, with this as the first lines ...
Menu version 1.24
Failed: no such table: TBL_MENUCONFIG

which is the same filename as in the drop down in my first post above.

result of commands is...

humax2# cd /var/lib/humaxtv
humax2# ls -l *.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 63488 Feb 12 22:11 channel.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 default_channel.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9216 Jan 1 1970 default_setup.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Feb 12 17:32 freq.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18432 Feb 13 00:06 rsv.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23552 Feb 12 17:32 rsvp.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 12 17:36 setup.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 12 17:36 tempsetup.db
humax2#

so the setup.db has been properly hosed. I'll rename it and let the system do its daily reboot in the early morning.

The error handling isn't very clever, and the modular nature of the settings plugins means the epg one abends (causing cascading errors due to the database error) leaving unfinished HTML, when then makes the rest of the page invalid, so it doesn't work.
I've put in a fix for the error handling.
If you can get the setup.db file off the box, I would be interested in looking at it.
As it is 0 length, are you still interested? I have the renamed copy.
TIA

As it is 0 length, are you still interested? I have the renamed copy.
Er, no. A copy of nothing?
(Move along, nothing to see here.)

I would probably try deleting all those 0 length files and reboot and see what happens to them afterwards. Obviously the lack of contents in default_channel.db didn't stop it recreating channel.db, so I wonder if these default files really actually do anything.

My impression, possibly based on long-forgotten testing, is that the humaxtv binary contains all the defaults it needs.

OK, when it did its power cycle at around 5:15 this morning it did not power up and when I powered it up it had reset to no channels and no EPG again. :frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic:
So had to do a channel scan before any backups would restore the EPG.
How do you get Tunefix to restore the channels? The TV menus seem to just keep looping back to the channel tune menu which takes an age.
I think I will turn off the power down for now, until I have time to dig a bit more into the system.

Wish I knew why it has done this two days in a row. 😡😡

How do you get Tunefix to restore the channels?
You don't. It can't create things out of nothing.
The TV menus seem to just keep looping back to the channel tune menu which takes an age.
Sounds like the best thing to do is a factory reset. If it still won't tune properly etc. then it's something hardware related.

You don't. It can't create things out of nothing.

Sounds like the best thing to do is a factory reset. If it still won't tune properly etc. then it's something hardware related.
Ah, OK, I was just attempting to skip being forced to retune. It did tune properly when I told it to.

The TV menus seem to just keep looping back to the channel tune menu which takes an age.
If it has decided to run the installation wizard, it won't do anything until the wizard runs... but from what you say the wizard was not invoked? I'm not sure you can get to any menus while the wizard is up.

In any case, I don't think you have to let tuning complete – you can let it find one service and then abort, and from there do a WebIF schedule restore (or reboot so that auto-schedule-restore and boot-settings can do their job).

Oops! Yes, of course... which begs the question: why can't/haven't we backed up the channel.db file?

Back