HDR-T2 with 500 Internal server error

dandnsmith

Forum Supporter
My HDR-T2 recently started giving the 500 internal server error.
Amongst other things I tried reloading the CFW and when it boots it shows CFW 3.13
I'm totally confused, and don't know what to try.
I can use telnet to access the HDR-T2 from a linux machine, which gets a # prompt.

Try this: opkg install --force-reinstall libutil
opkg install --force-reinstall libutil Removing package libutil from root... Installing libutil (0.9.29) to root... Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/libutil_0.9.29_mipsel.opk. Configuring libutil. Collected errors: * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-pack.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-binary.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-sqlite3.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-oo.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-pack.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-binary.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-sqlite3.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-oo.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_write_filelist: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/hmt.list: Read-only file system. * pkg_write_filelist: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/wireless-tools.list: Read-only file system. * pkg_write_filelist: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/zip.list: Read-only file system. * pkg_write_filelist: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/wireless-helper.list: Read-only file system. * pkg_write_filelist: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/rsvsync.list: Read-only file system. * rm_r: Failed to unlink libutil_0.9.29_mipsel.opk: Read-only file system. * rm_r: Failed to remove dir /mod/var/opkg/tmp/opkg-wkgWqO: Read-only file system.

I turned on the menu, and then booted into maintenance mode.
Now I have an unresponsive box with MAINTENANCE displayed on the front panel.
I feel really stupid, and I cannot connect from my linux system using the telnet to the IP address.
Where do I go from here?

It should. Check the reboot into maintenance mode didn't pick up a new IP address.

In any case, reboot again will flip back out of maintenance mode.
I couldn't see any sign of it - I assume that's because the WIFI using a dongle isn't connecting. The WIKI stuff suggests I might get in if I have wireless helper, but I don't know if I have it installed.
I've rebooted to get it out of maintenance, and connected over wifi (after going through 'settings' to get wifi connected) to the telnet prompt. It isn't automatically connecting to wifi.
I'm thinking I need to rig a direct ethernet connection to progress - but this will take a bit of organisation.

There have been some wireless changes in the 3.14 beta firmware which may (or may not) help with your connectivity.
You can get the current latest image from here and install it in the usual way (unzip the file, copy the .hdf file on to a USB stick, plug it in to the machine and reboot). It's been tested by quite a few people and is stable.
With the above, I don't think wireless-helper will make any difference.

I've installed the 3.14 image. The 500 server message still happens.
Tried telnet in and selecting 'maint' from the menu which gives some messages:
/mod/bin/jimsh: '/mod/lib/libutil.so.0' is not an ELF file /mod/webif/lib/setup:8: Error: couldn't read file "/mod/webif/lib/pretty_size": No such file or directory at file "/mod/bin/status", line 4 in procedure 'require' called at file "/mod/webif/lib/setup", line 13 at file "/mod/webif/lib/setup", line 8 in procedure 'require' called at file "/mod/webif/lib/system.class", line 466 at file "/mod/webif/lib/setup", line 8
I said to enter maintenance anyway, but still cannot telnet in using the wifi.
Any hints on where to go now?

I said to enter maintenance anyway, but still cannot telnet in using the wifi.
That's disappointing.
Can you describe the sequence of things you see on the front-panel display?
Can you ping the IP address? Can you try port 24 as well? i.e. telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 24

I'm not sure which sequence I should describe.
Once it gets to display MAINTENANCE, nothing else happens until I reboot.
I did try 'ping' for my usual address - no reply, nor is there when I add 24 (should that be following the usual IP?)
I'm trying to get a RPi system going so I can do a wire connection - this is taking a little while, partly due to changing domiciles and downsizing (so I lost track of some of the bits and pieces)

I'm not sure which sequence I should describe.
Once it gets to display MAINTENANCE, nothing else happens until I reboot.
What happens between the "Cust FW ..." message and the final "MAINTENANCE" message.
You should see "ENTERING MAINTENANCE MODE" as an animation, then a series of "WAIT - nn" messages counting down from 60, then possibly (but probably not) a series of "NETWAIT - nn" messages, then an IP address (the last 12 characters if it's longer), then "... WiFi ...", then "MAINTENANCE".
I was interested in what the IP address said, but I think I know the answer now, having tried it here.
In wired mode it works properly, but in wireless mode it always seems to say 192.0.2.200, which is the Humax default on these boxes and entirely unhelpful. My first attempt at debugging this has failed and just posed more questions.

Last edited:
Having left the box in 'normal' mode overnight, I went through the process of entering maintenance mode. The sequence of messages on the front panel was much as described above by prpr finishing with my usual IP address and then 'MAINTENANCE'.
This time I was able to telnet in on that address, so I entered the menu and selected fixdisk, which went through a number of checks, set up the swap space, and is now checking sda2 (my normal recording space).
I've no idea what got it able to telnet via wifi, but am grateful for the help.

After rebooting I tied to re-install libutil but got some error indications.
Then I tried fixweb, but got a lot of errors:
Please select option: fixweb No packages removed. Installing webif (1.5.2-6) to root... Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/webif_1.5.2-6_mipsel.opk. Upgrading jim on root from 0.79 to 0.82-2... Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/jim_0.82-2_mipsel.opk. Removing package jim-binary from root... Removing package jim-oo from root... Removing package jim-pack from root... Removing package jim-sqlite3 from root... Configuring jim. Configuring webif. /mod/bin/jimsh: can't load library 'libcrypto.so.1.1' /mod/bin/jimsh: can't load library 'libcrypto.so.1.1' Collected errors: * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-pack.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-binary.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-sqlite3.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-oo.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-pack.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-binary.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-sqlite3.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-oo.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-binary.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-oo.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-pack.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim-sqlite3.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim.list: No such file or directory. * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open /mod/var/opkg/info/jim.list: No such file or directory. * wfopen: /mod/webif/html/settings/settings.jim: Is a directory. * wfopen: /mod/webif/html/play/vlc.css: Is a directory. * wfopen: /mod/webif/html/img/tsort/desc.png: Is a directory. * wfopen: /mod/webif/html/img/tsort/asc.png: Is a directory. * resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /mod/webif/html/css/EXTRA.css is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /mod/webif/html/css/EXTRA.css-opkg.
so, since the 500 error is still there, I wonder what I should try as I'm not sure where all the bits are.

What did fixdisk say?
It's better than before as the readonly filesystem has gone away and it isn't complaining about libutil any more, but there are other problems.
Those "Is a directory" errors are troublesome. I think I'd remove them with rm -r /mod/webif/html/settings/settings.jim and similarly for the others.
Then opkg install --force-reinstall webif openssl jim and see where that leaves you.

Back