Remote not working - physical & on the WebIF

Victoria

Hi All.
Ok, So I've started to play around with an old HDR-Fox T2 with the custom firmware. I'll have to try connecting it to an older TV as I can't get any signal through the HDMI port (though this port on the tv and the cable do work on another Fox T2 so.... shrug) - TV is new.
So I can't see any instructions on the TV.

I can change the channel up and down using the buttons on the front panel, but none of my remotes work with this box. I'm pretty sure the Fox T2 was set to mode 1 as are the remotes I have (my foxsats were set to a different mode).

I've had a wee play with the remote via WebIF. It does say 'watching 20: G.O.L.D
which is the channel on the front panel. (Yes, all the channels will be out of date since it was last turned on!)
I can't seem to get the WebIF remote to change the channel, say to 1, or P+ or P-

Any thoughts?

Perhaps this was why I left this sitting unused! The HDD seems like it might be ok - I can see the old recordings via the WebIF. But if I cant get it to interact with a tv, or the remote, then I guess it is kaput?

Another possibility is if another remote is lying around under a cushion or something that's pressing on a button, so its signal is blocking out others. It's not likely but I have known it happen and it's easy to rule out.

Most likely it's a mismatch of the remote code (i.e. mode) between the HDR and the remote handset.
Use WebIF/settings/Settings for ir package/options/Select remote control mode:
and try each of them to see if you can get the WebIF remote to work.
Or try changing the remote code (i.e. mode) in the handset
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-more-than-1-humax-box-in-the-same-room.6008
I was able several years ago to reset the mode on one of my boxes in order to use both in the same room, based on helpful advice here. Both physical and virtual remotes worked on both boxes. I didn't use the webif remote for many years, until the hardware remote on my main box became erratic. I tried the webif remote and found it didn't work. I reset the mode from the webif command line and rebooted to find the virtual now working but the physical remote disabled.

Checking the setting from the command line produced odd results

Code:
Humax1# ir CURMODE MODE                                                                                                 
CURMODE (0x7f)                                                                                                           
Failed to find keycode: 'MODir'

Humax1# ir CURMODE MODE                                                                                                 
CURMODE (0x7f)                                                                                                           
MODE (0x70)                                                                                                             
Humax1#

Both physical and virtual remotes continue to work normally on the second box using MODE 6.

Any ideas?

Another possibility is if another remote is lying around under a cushion or something that's pressing on a button, so its signal is blocking out others. It's not likely but I have known it happen and it's easy to rule out.
This, I know is not the problem. All my spare remotes were in a box and they either work with a T2 or Foxsat, having tested them. Different modes for T2 and Foxsat.
I haven't used this particular T2 in a long time! And can't remember exactly why 'it stopped working'. If it was just the physical remote(s).... but then the webIF remote should work? Unless something else has gone wrong inside...?

Going to try changing the modes, resetting etc from the WebIF.
Then see if I can actually find connections that work with a TV!

Hmm.... 😞
Can't get the WebIF Remote to work..

Soooo..... I've changed through the modes for the WebIF remote, pressing the reboot button in the diagnostics option, and/or turning the T2 off at the back.
I've tried setting the mode on the Humax:

Code:
humax# ir CURMODE MODE
CURMODE (0x7f)
MODE (0x70)

humax# ir CURMODE MODE DELAY2 MODE1
CURMODE (0x7f)
MODE (0x70)
DELAY2
MODE1 (0x71)

Change MODE1 to MODE2 to MODE3 to MODE4 to MODE5 to MODE6

ir CURMODE MODE
always gves me the same result, even after I change MODE1 etc. Is that correct?

I've tried rebooting after typing this in, and not rebooting.
I've tried a physical remote that I know is set to mode 1 for the MODE1 option.

Anything I'm doing wrong?
Any other suggestions?
Or is that it?

I tried
Code:
http://10.0.0.123/plugin/ir/send.jim?code=ONE+ZERO+ONE+OK
with the ip address of my humax (the one I use to telnet to), but it did not change the channel.
The ip address is correct as I've rebooted from the telnet screen.

ir CURMODE MODE
always gves me the same result, even after I change MODE1 etc. Is that correct?
This doesn't report the current mode (unless you are actually looking at the TV screen).
This works for me: ir CURMODE MODE DELAY2 MODE1 and you see it change on screen.
You then need to make sure the WebIf remote is set to the same i.e. echo 1 >/mod/boot/irmode and then reboot.

I'll try that again, followed with
Code:
echo 1 >/mod/boot/irmode
I just type that in the telnet window too?

Though I've tried connecting this T2 to another, older, TV via the hmdi cable already in that tv - an older-ish cable.
Still no signal. So that's not a good sign either.

And also to my oldest TV (that has a couple of scart sockets) but it isnt connected to the aerial so obviously no tv channels, but I dont see the humax starting screen. I might go into the attic and see if I have a scart cable lying around.

(my other cough collection of 'non-working' T2s can connect to my new tv and I can see the menu screen & tv channels so something else is going on inside that T2 that I cant get the remote to work)????

I just type that in the telnet window too?
Yep.
Though I've tried connecting this T2 to another, older, TV via the hmdi cable already in that tv - an older-ish cable.
Still no signal. So that's not a good sign either.
Sounds like the HDMI is well and truly b*ggered then.
something else is going on inside that T2 that I cant get the remote to work)????
Maybe. Sounds like that one's for the bin if the front-panel (IR) and main-board (HDMI) are both bust, but keep PSU/disk(/case).

Humax1# ir CURMODE MODE
CURMODE (0x7f)

I expect that somehow you actually ended up typing ir CURMODE MODir rather than anything else happening.

Sounds like the HDMI is well and truly b*ggered then.

Maybe. Sounds like that one's for the bin if the front-panel (IR) and main-board (HDMI) are both bust, but keep PSU/disk(/case).
Can I simply take the HDD out of this one and put it into a different T2. Will it reformat once turned on, or will it not know that a different HDD had been put in? It is a 1TB drive I think. Worth a shot?

This doesn't report the current mode (unless you are actually looking at the TV screen).
This works for me: ir CURMODE MODE DELAY2 MODE1 and you see it change on screen.
You then need to make sure the WebIf remote is set to the same i.e. echo 1 >/mod/boot/irmode and then reboot.
OK, tried that. Still no luck. So physical and WebIF remotes not working.
So, unless anyone has any other suggestions, I have to assume bad things in the OS, and main board as the HDMI isn't working either.
And this one is kaput.

oeBloggs911 said:

Code:
 Humax1# ir CURMODE MODE                                                                                            
CURMODE (0x7f)                                                                                                      

Humax1# ir CURMODE MODE                                                                                                
CURMODE (0x7f)                                                                                                          
MODE (0x70)                                                                                                            
Humax1#
I expect that somehow you actually ended up typing ir CURMODE MODir rather than anything else happening.

[Sorry - I messed up the quoting but couldn't figure out how to abandon the post and start again]

Both my commands posted above were pasted from the same text in the system clipboard. Anyway, I'm stuck with a working webif remote but a dead physical remote. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I simply take the HDD out of this one and put it into a different T2. Will it reformat once turned on, or will it not know that a different HDD had been put in? It is a 1TB drive I think. Worth a shot?
If you don't care what's on it, yes. It won't reformat because it already is, but you can reformat it through the menus.

If you don't care what's on it, yes. It won't reformat because it already is, but you can reformat it through the menus.
Awesome!
I have at least 2 T2s that I think need new HDD so swapsy.... :) at least to see if that fixes their current problems
(will do a separate post on the fixdisk results to see what everyone thinks)
(the T2 I've just bought a 2TB HDD for is currently an hour and a half into a long test! It didn't get to 'do a long test' before. Don't know if it will fix the HDD, and probably a better idea to change the HDD anyway.......)

Sorry, :) kind of got excited about trying things, trying to figure out the problems, and if they're fixable.....yeah, always meant to do that and only getting round to it now! cough years and years cough

Anyway, I'm stuck with a working webif remote but a dead physical remote. Any suggestions?
Dead in what way? Do the white buttons light up? Is it stuck in the wrong mode? Presumably you know how to change the mode and have checked the obvious things like batteries and making good contact?

Dead in what way? Do the white buttons light up? Is it stuck in the wrong mode? Presumably you know how to change the mode and have checked the obvious things like batteries and making good contact?
The white buttons do light up, and all was working until I started tinkering yesterday. I was trying to get the webif remote to work because a couple of buttons on the remote had become flaky, notably the OK button. All the commands I sent from the webif command line involved Mode 1, the default mode which had never been changed.

Later: I just tried to look at the settings for the ir package from the webif and got a "500 Internal Server Error". This suggests some corruption in the relevant webif files Any ideas on how to resolve this most welcome.

I have at least 2 T2s that I think need new HDD so swapsy.... :) at least to see if that fixes their current problems
All you need to do in that case is disconnect the HDD – they'll work without it, and if the HDD is not the cause of the fault then the fault will remain*.

* Unless the fault is a continuous reboot cycle, which is a fault in the circuit which powers the HDD and only manifests with the HDD connected.

I just tried to look at the settings for the ir package from the webif and got a "500 Internal Server Error". This suggests some corruption in the relevant webif files Any ideas on how to resolve this most welcome.
Type "internal server error" into the forum search (top right), or "site:hummy.tv/forum internal server error" into your favourite web search engine.

Type "internal server error" into the forum search (top right), or "site:hummy.tv/forum internal server error" into your favourite web search engine.
After some of the above reading, I checked webif-error.log after another attempt to access ir settings failed with the server error It reported

Code:
 File "/mod/webif/plugin/ir/settings.jim", line 23

Checking that file showed the error to be in the block below:

Code:
set rcmode 1

if {![catch {set rcfd [open "/mod/boot/irmode" r]}]} {

set rcmode $([read $rcfd] + 0)

$rcfd close

}

if {$rcmode < 1 || $rcmode > 6} { set rcmode 1 }

Specifically, Line 23 is

Code:
set rcmode $([read $rcfd] + 0)

Does this throw any light on the problem?

Later: it belatedly occurred to me that earlier entries from yesterday in webif-error.log may be relevant:

Code:
    /mod/webif/plugin/ir/settings.jim:23: Error: expected floating-point number but got "1 1
12        ::sqlite.handle4 query {...
11      File "/mod/webif/plugin/sysmon/data/temp.jim", line 12
10    Traceback (most recent call last):
9    /mod/webif/plugin/sysmon/data/temp.jim:12: Error: database is locked
8      File "/mod/webif/plugin/ir/settings.jim", line 23

Last edited:
Back