reception problems

...from the perspective of electrical safety engineering (which of course you have lots of professional experience in).
I presume this is one of your patronising comments, seeing as you have no idea what I know and have professional experience in?

just happened again, been a good ten weeks since the last meltdown. just going thru a retune

just the HD and minor muxes tho, and once again the huawei box remains unaffected, fingers crossed please!

all scanned back in, all 100% again, odd as it was a clear day when they vanished, or should i say night, as everything recorded overnight, but pics scrambled or gone at 0550 when i switched tv on again

gone again and doesnt seem to want to come back again, just the HD channels affected again, left the box off overnight,factory reset, auto scan and just the standard channels, absolutely zilch on the HD ones. once again youview seemingly unaffected, and both thru the same splitter booster, have switched the cables about with no difference

so it seems the the HD tuner has failed, is this possible?

decided to have another look at manual scans on the EM muxes, and bingo, they are all there! weird behaviour, its gone a bit more cloudy out since this morning, it seems to be worse on clear warm days, wish i understood all this!

It appears you are unfortunate in living in a place where UHF propagation is influenced by atmospheric conditions. Multipath reception may be cancelling the signal out some days, and not others. If it is multipath causing this, you need a highly directional aerial to eliminate all but one beam.

In the old days when the gas supply was buffered by storage tanks known as "gasometers", the tanks used to rise and fall as they filled and emptied, and cause reception shadows which came and went.

decided to have another look at manual scans on the EM muxes, and bingo, they are all there! weird behaviour, its gone a bit more cloudy out since this morning, it seems to be worse on clear warm days, wish i understood all this!
ISTR you decided to ignore most of the advice you were given up-thread and do your own thing. So why do you come back here asking for more advice, which you will probably ignore again? What do you think the chances are of anybody bothering?

what are you talking about prpr, i havent ignored anything, except maybe altering the aerial, but as i've said its in a perilous position and i'm not prepared to do a rod hull just yet

and where have i asked for advice, i've merely posted an update to my situation so i suggest you wind your neck in please!

thanks black hole, as said before the aerial man told me that the signal was spot on and that i wouldnt need an upgrade, assumed he knew what he was talking about and he used his gadget to check the strength, replaced cables etc. looks as tho he simply came round on a good day!

finally turning my back on talktalk, the bt man comes tuesday morning, will ask him to test my signal strength too i think, the new box picks up everything brilliantly​

thanks for info mike, i'd spotted that it had reappeared on its own this week

inbelievably, two days before the bt man arrives and i have a chance to get the aerial moved a swarm of bees appear to have taken residence in the chimney stack!!

bt man didnt possess a signal tester, however my bb speeds have now increased to around 25mbps from 4 so i'm well happy with that!! good riddance talktalk, and hello bt sports!!

all appears to be very stable, since the new transmitter has kicked in i now have 100% quality and 65-75% strength on all muxes. also having done a walk right along our road it seems that most aerials are horizontally alligned.

we are the proud owners of full scaffolding for house painting at the moment, so the painter says hes happy to adjust current one, or fit a new one. but as the signal is so good i'm not sure it needs it. i have, however, purchased some bird spikes to put on it so stop the pigeons from shitting on our slabs, and the rooks doing our daily alarm call at 0430!!

Stick a vertical aerial and cable up there as well, pointing at Crosspool, and keep your options open?

Back