Universal remotes

I think my search for a suitable remote for my entertainment complex may be over. It will also solve the problem of waking up a sleeping Humax without getting out of bed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-For-All-URC-8800/dp/B00FLJSYXA
http://www.oneforall.co.uk/remotes/urc8800-tablet-remote.html
Maybe not. It has no learning function, and I have doubts whether this will have look-up codes for my active speakers (Vision AV-1000) or my HDMI matrix switch (unbranded, made in China).

In case anyone is interested, Tesco currently has the (discontinued) Griffin Beacon iDevice Bluetooth-to-IR blaster thingy knocked down to £35. An app on the iPhone/iPad provides the configurable handset, then the Beacon shoves out the IR commands.

I thought about getting one to play with, but I would prefer a WiFi connection and don't normally have my Bluetooth turned on.

One shortcoming with the beacon is that it is battery powered, no transformer option. So you have to regularly replace batteries. I gave up with mine in the end.

I'm sure that could be overcome. What's the other functionality like? How configurable is it? How complete is the database? Does it learn codes if necessary? No way my HDMI switch is in the database.

I'm sure you could rig some form of external power.
You can teach it necessary codes, using an existing remote. It's a bit laborious, on button at a time.
I haven't used it for months so don't know how up to date the db is. When I used it it was primarily US boxes.
But you could pull buttons from one to another. Or base it on an existing box and edit as required.

Well, it had to happen! One of my two Harmony 900s went into meltdown two days ago. An update failed and after that it was downhill. Even booted into "safe mode" it would not update, and now it won't even boot into safe mode. Also, I noticed my configuration on Logitech's servers was corrupted, some inputs were changed on devices.

I have two because Logitech sent me a second because the first occasionally reset its clock on placing it on the charger. Needless to say, the second did exactly the same! They said I could keep the second.

So, I resurrected the (free!) Harmony Touch, which was collecting dust in a draw, and programmed it. It has improved a lot since I last tried it. My main reservation is still only having favourites on one activity. Does that really save that much memory?

I was pleased to see that you can buy a smart hub and pair it with the Touch, and that combination gives you a Harmony Ultimate plus another touch-screen-less remote control which is restricted to six activities. The 900 IR extenders no doubt fit the Smart Hub too (I haven't tried yet) and also I can now use my phone as a remote. The extra remote also has a CR2032 battery, rather than needing recharging, so that should last a long time.

Oh and the myharmony app only knows about some configurations, not all of them. The others you must teach all commands for.

Today only on Amazon:

Logitech 2.4 inch Harmony Touch Universal Remote Control for Home Entertainment System
(112) | |
prime-check-badge-17._V192561688_.gif

Harmony Touch is a one-touch wonder that’s redefining ultimate control over your home entertainment. Now you can instantly access whatever you want to watch, hear or play with a tap of a touch screen. Your instant remote control consolidator—controls up to... read more
£149.99 £74.99 (50% off)
AddtoCart._V344242494_.png

13h 45m 05s

I've been using a Harmony One for a long time now. Before that I had a Harmony 855. I cannot fault how nicely they integrate all the remotes I previously had. The remote has the right mix of hard buttons and touch-screen for activity selection. It has to be recharged on the included charger once a week maybe. If you install the software first you can configure it before you buy a device. A handy way to know if it's going to work.

af123, I have a OFA Kameleon. I hated it. You are more than welcome to it free of charge, gratis and for nowt. (Well perhaps P&P). PM me if you wish.

It is as good as new. I didn't use it for long. It's been sat in the draw for an age.

Hi,
Not sure if your offer is open to anyone, but i would LOVE your OFA Kameleon.
Tried to send you a PM, (is that the same as a conversation)?
I would happily pay the postage.
Regards,
Paul

Back