Thread about possible site buyout removed

I suggest, (If Wallace agrees) adding the original post and original Thread Title to #2 as a quote, I realise it is present in prpr's #8 but it would be easier to see there and it would also show what Wallace was replying to
EDIT
prpr's post was #8 but has now been renumbered to #8 due to the original poster's comments being removed

Last edited:
So what?

When somebody asks for a forum account to be deleted, it can have detrimental consequences to the entire forum because all the posts in all the topics the user contributed to will also be deleted. My policy would be to rename the account (thereby making the post author "deleted1", "deleted2" etc) and delete its password.

This is made possible because this forum currently allows users to edit their own posts without any time limitation.

And long may it remain so.

I agree, I am a member of several other forums where there is an edit limit, and it can be quite frustrating not to be able to edit your own content.

I seem to be missing something here and I really don't wish to labour the point, but I understand the idea that you should be able to edit your posts, but to be able to delete a thread just by asking a staff member appears to be unjust somehow. Can someone enlighten me please?

Brian quite clearly said 'edit their own posts' to which I was replying. Not any old Tom, Dick or Harry being able to edit/delete the posts/threads of others.
However there is a school of thought that you should not be able to edit your own posts after a time limit, which I don't hold with.

The thread under discussion is irrelevant to the general cut and thrust of Hummy, as is this thread. Both could easily be dismissed as spam, so apart from the time people have spent wittering on about the 'buy out' and making negative comments about the OP, are a waste of time and space. Closing the original thread backfired as well, as instead of closing the subject, it caused this thread to be started as another waste of time and space continuation.
The OP saw the direction that it was going, so asked it to be deleted. What's wrong with that?

I think the record of what happened needs to be preserved for all to see, it's a clear statement of the members views, if the OP needs to be given a get-out (which personally I don't) change the OP's name to Deleted-User or whatever
EDIT
The original thread keeps disappearing and re-appearing so the above link needed changing

Last edited:
But what did happen? Nothing. Just a lot of user comments, which I am sure that Admins have got the drift of, so now neither thread have any relevance.

So stop adding to it if it's such a waste of time and space.
Space 'costs' virtually nothing and the time is yours to waste, or not.
The OP saw the direction that it was going, so asked it to be deleted. What's wrong with that?
One person shouldn't be able to delete all the posts of others at their whim, that's what.
Why does a thread starter seemingly have special privileges? You don't otherwise.

The notion that the offending topic (and this topic) is a pointless waste of space is utterly absurd. The only people who could think so are those entirely detached from the organisation and operation of this facility, and who therefore presumably just use it without any interest in its past, present, or future. Do they apply the same level of disinterest to affairs of national importance, eg general elections?

It is not right that somebody can come on here, stir up trouble in public (when it could have been done privately through Conversations), then ask to have all evidence erased when he doesn't like the direction it took. We are a community, and should operate as a community.

I have less objection to tidying up topics which are specifically and exclusively technical.

What I want to know though is has the 17 year year old passed his driving test yet and broken his car?

I see someone's removed the original thread again, created a new one and reposted the content. The various "Likes" have been lost though...

Good job I have them cached... if you've really lost the data.

Last edited:
I see someone's removed the original thread again, created a new one and reposted the content. The various "Likes" have been lost though...

Good job I have them cached... if you've really lost the data.
So, I presume you HAVE lost the data, so here it is from my cached copy, with the message numbers as they are now:

RobH1 liked Wallace's #1
Mike0001 liked 4291's #4
Black Hole likde prpr's #8
Mike0001 liked Wallace's #18
Wallace liked prpr's #30
Black Hole and kevindickinson liked RobH1's #57

Back