Assume v. Presume

"Good"

What is "a good size room"? What is "good olive oil"??

When the house-hunting TV "reality" programmes say this is a good size room, presumably they mean "this isn't a large room, but I suppose it would be adequate at a pinch" - damned by faint praise, as they say.

When the likes of Nigella say to use good olive oil, are they implying you might use bad olive oil if not otherwise directed? If I go to the supermarket, how do I tell which of the oils available is good oil, or good enough oil? Not by price, shirley??!

What is "good olive oil"??
When the likes of Nigella say to use good olive oil, are they implying you might use bad olive oil if not otherwise directed? If I go to the supermarket, how do I tell which of the oils available is good oil, or good enough oil? Not by price, shirley??!
A good culniary olive oil, shirley, is one which is fresh and suitable for the purpose. For example, extra virgin olive oil would normally be concidered good for dressings, but not good for baking. Like most feed oils do not keep and if an olive oil is anywhere near or past its use by date then that could also be described as bad.

I use olive oil instead of rancid-smelling butter in bread baking. It's healthier, too.

There's nowt wrong with olive oil. Butter, on the other hand, ...

Like the virgin territories of the USA? I think some humans had been there before.

I'm catching up after a few days distraction.
'bring and take' - the US American usage seems to follow that common in the Republic of Ireland, ans aligns with the way things are said in spanish.
I went, a couple of years ago, to a presentation of olive oils - it was accompanied by a tasting of 14 different samples. Its amazing how the flavour and oiliness vary, and points up how easily the oil can 'go off' (some visual signs of it as well), especially if subjected to bright light.

When visiting Greece, the locals, who always seem to have their own olive trees, give gifts of oil. These turn out to be far superior than supermarket stuff and you can smell the freshness. As dandsmith said, the flavours vary too.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/olive-oil

Choose the best
Extra virgin oil is the most expensive type, and is made from the first cold pressing of the olives. It has a very low acidity rate (under 1%) and is best used for dipping or to dress salads - both because its superior flavour is impaired by heat and because it has a low smoking point.

Virgin olive oil is also a first pressing, but has a slightly higher acidity level (under 2%). It should be used in much the same way as extra virgin, and can also be used to cook Mediterranean dishes to create an authentic flavour (but should not be used for deep frying).

Refined to remove its impurities, and blended to improve flavour, pure olive oil is the cheapest olive oil there is. Its flavour is quite bland, so it's not worth using it on salads, but it's a good all-purpose cooking oil (again, don't deep fry with it).

Oils from Spain tend to be smooth, sweet and fruity, with hints of melon and nuts and very faint bitterness - they're quite versatile.

The flavour of Italian oils varies from region to region. The north produces oils that are mild, slightly nutty, and very good with fish. Oils from the centre of the country are stronger-tasting, with grassy notes. Southern Italy, including Sicily, produces oils that have a drier, more herbal flavour.

Greek olive oils are herby, fruity and sometimes peppery - good all-rounders.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it is clear from the context: extra virgin olive oil is the good sort, ie, a first pressing and unblended.

I hope nobody ever says Goodnight to you! :duel:

Back