Retaining Subtitles after editing a file with VideoReDo

johnb

For some time I have been frustrated that whenever I edit a .ts file in VideoReDo, re-create the sidecar files with AV2HDR-T2 and copy the results back to the HDR-Fox T2 the subtitles aren't retained. So I have done some investigation and come up with a simple solution which seems to work (though I have only tested it on a couple of files so far):

I have only used this method for edits to SD recordings.

Required for this method:
VideoReDo (I am using the "VideoReDo TV Suite V4")
Customized Firmware and WebIf installed on the Hummy
The "sidecare" package installed in the Customized Firmware.

1) Copy the Hummy .ts file (decrypted of course) to your PC and edit it as required with VideoReDo.

2) When saving the edited file (in VideoReDo), instead of saving it as .ts, save it as a .m2ts file (selecting "MPEG2 M2TS (*.m2ts)" from the "Save as type options"). This saves it with the required packet size of 192.

3) Manually change the filetype from .m2ts back to .ts

4) Copy the new (.ts) file back to the Hummy

5) Using the WebIf Browse Mode find the new file on the Hummy, click on the Opt+ button alongside the file, select "Sidecar files", enter the Channel No and Channel Name in the dialogue box that appears ... and ... Bob's your uncle.

(Forgive me if this has been covered before in the Forum.)

Last edited:
So far the method seems to work, at least for me.

The only quirks I have found so far are, after creating the sidecar files:

- WebIf browse mode shows the file with the shrunk icon against it.
- WebIf can only rename the media file (not the display title). However the display title can be renamed on the Hummy box.

Other than those minor quirks the files seem to behave perfectly (picture and sound as expected, fast forward/reverse, subtitles On/Off and in sync. Though I haven't played any of the file through to the end yet.

One important thing to note: I have only used this method on SD recordings.

(Thanks for moving the thread to the appropriate section.)

Last edited:
- WebIf can only rename the media file (not the display title).
Yes, I've found that as well. If you remove the synopsis with:
hmt +setsynopsis="" filename
then you can edit everything as normal. Not sure yet what the cause of this weirdness is.

For some time I have been frustrated that whenever I edit a .ts file in VideoReDo, re-create the sidecar files with AV2HDR-T2 and copy the results back to the HDR-Fox T2 the subtitles aren't retained. So I have done some investigation and come up with a simple solution which seems to work (though I have only tested it on a couple of files so far):
AV2HDR-T2 was written primarily as a tool to facilitate the import of non-native video into the T2. A point that some failed to grasp. As such it can remux a limited number of video formats (with only one video and audio track being selected) into one that is compatible with the T2 in order to maximise the possibility of a successful playback. Unfortunately, the muxer cannot handle the T2's native AAC format and so source audio must be AC3 or MPEG instead. I have released a version for the Foxsat that has a "no remux" option to allow for editing of native video and I may include this function in a future release of the T2 version if I can determine there is a demand for it.

On the other hand, the "sidecar" utility was written specifically to run on the T2 primarily to process native T2 recordings, so removing any requirement for remuxing. Other benefits of this were that not only is the sub-title stream retained, the alternative audio track for the visually impaired is retained also, and the necessary references are created in the resulting hmt file.
I'm happy that you are using it to it's full potential.

Last edited:

- WebIf browse mode shows the file with the shrunk icon against it.
The shrunk icon is correct, and prevents any further attempt at stripping the video. The files output by VideoRedo, although retaining the sub-title stream, do have the EIT (Event Information Table) removed, as well as the second audio stream (audio stream retained is selectable), resulting in a significantly smaller file, even without any edits. That is why the hmt file created by the sidecar utility is the basic default instead of being populated with EPG information.
- WebIf can only rename the media file (not the display title). However the display title can be renamed on the Hummy box.
Yes, I've found that as well. .......Not sure yet what the cause of this weirdness is.
The synopsis text in the default hmt created by sidecar contained a new line character which was causing the web interface hmt parser to fall over, resulting in a truncated hmt edit popup window. This has been fixed in sidecar 1.3 and the Opt+ 'Rename' popup will now display all editable hmt fields correctly.

I have also updated the WiKi entry created by Ezra to clarify the use of the VideoRedo/sidecar combination in order to create edited video which retains subtitles.

Last edited:
Back