1080i playback issues

Rockyrails

Hi guys, all BBC 4 HD recorded output plays beautifully when copied from my HDR-Fox T2 to PC and then played back from an external hard drive on my WD TV Media player, Roku 3 and PS4. However, there is one exception -Top of the Pops reruns - which are broadcast entirely in 1080i. On all the above media players, the video plays in what appears to be an ever so slightly slowed down and slightly jerky manner, even when 1080i settings are available. My Samsung TV and WD TV Media Player don't offer these settings because everything should be automatic.

But when I copy that same file back to my Hummy in mp4 format via FTP, it plays perfectly again.It also plays well on my PC with VLC player and deinterlacing turned on (if turned off, it looks the same as on the Media Players).

Clearly, my Hummy box (like all Freeview boxes I imagine) has a perfect encoder, but what is more surprising is that those other media players, which are designed to play back 1080i, 1080p, 720p..etc have problems with these files. I've tried changing the wrapper from .ts to mp4, mkv and m2ts plus I've also changed the audio files within those wrappers but to no avail. I've also tried to deinterlace the video, but the reencoding process really reduces the video quality, even at a very high bit rate.

I record a lot of the Top of the Pops reruns and it's the same for all these particular files. Is this a problem with this particular TV show? Or does anybody know of a media box that can deinterlace a 1080i file perfectly? Any practical help would be much appreciated.

What does mediainfo report about the file in question? Maybe your other media players don't have de-interlacers enabled for the specific media type.

Clearly, my Hummy box (like all Freeview boxes I imagine) has a perfect encoder
Freeview boxes don't need encoders, they have decoders and interpolators.

Sorry, Black Hole, I was so involved in my messsage that I made that rather stupid error.

The Scan type is MBAFF, which I believe is interlaced. Here is the mediainfo report:

General
ID : 1 (0x1)
Complete name : D:\Humax\Top of the Pops - 05th February 1981 (24th January 2016).ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 1.29 GiB
Duration : 39mn 46s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 4 639 Kbps

Video
ID : 201 (0xC9)
Menu ID : 40976 (0xA010)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : 27
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : Component
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Scan type, store method : Separated fields
Scan order : Top Field First
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 202 (0xCA)
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Muxing mode : LATM
Codec ID : 17
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate : 46.875 fps (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Language : English

Text
ID : 203 (0xCB)
Format : DVB Subtitle
Codec ID : 6
Duration : 39mn 41s
Delay relative to video : 2s 720ms
Language : English

I believe that MBAFF is a type of interlacing, but I don't know how it is different from standard 'interlacing' which can also be the Scan Type on other files according to Mediainfo.

Back