Aura won't play recordings

MikeSh

I'm currently traveling home but got a message from swmbo that reads:
[Aura] has stopped working. It gets live TV ok, but won't play recordings. I have switched it off and on again! You can call up the recording ok, but then when you click OK it won't start, then screen goes blank.

I don't know if "switched it off and on again!" was at the mains or just using the remote.
Can't find anything about this on the forum and I can't look at it myself till this evening, so does anyone know of this happening and a fix (preferably without losing all her recordings)?

I don't know if "switched it off and on again!" was at the mains or just using the remote.
I think the first thing is to clarify whether the power has been turned off. I have had rare problems where the only fix is to turn the power off.

Definitely. That sounds like a weird-type problem, which almost always gets fixed on reboot.

Thanks for the replies.
It was only a remote control off and on.
But this morning (the problem was last night) it was apparently working again.

A bit more detail: She tried to play a recording but the screen came up black with the info/pause bar at the bottom, which then cleared after a few seconds leaving it all black. She did try pressing pause/play but that did nothing. So then she put box and TV into standby for maybe 30 seconds (probably less I'd suspect) before turning both on again and trying to play a different recording with the same result.
I suspect the box didn't actually get to sleep (HDD stopped) in the time it was 'off' but left overnight it did and that is what fixed it.
If it happens again and I'm around I'll try and test those scenarios.

I suspect the box didn't actually get to sleep (HDD stopped) in the time it was 'off' but left overnight it did and that is what fixed it.
If it happens again and I'm around I'll try and test those scenarios.
One other possible solution that some users claim fixes the black screen problem is to press the Red Freeview Play button, then right arrow across to the power button symbol on the far right, press OK and select the option to "Restart apps" which will restart the Humax Freeview Play app (and I assume other apps). A user over at MyHumax.org claimed it fixed all cases of black screen but my experimenting suggests it only fixes some cases. Might be worth trying next time the problem happens.

press the Red Freeview Play button, then right arrow across to the power button symbol on the far right, press OK and select the option to "Restart apps"
I think that'll be way beyond her. She didn't power-cycle because although the plugs are marked with the unit names, she doesn't know which box is which. I've now got to mark the boxes as well :rolleyes:

Back