BBC iPlayer to be blocked on specific devices from next month

I do a search then mark all relevant results to record as one. Note that it only shows programmes broadcast within the last 30 days so you need to keep on top of it and have a weekly housekeeping session to record what you want.

I use it to record radio programmes to listen to on my phone using my preferred media player (BBC Sounds is not so great for my use case) so after recording on the PC and tidying up the filenames (using the free ReNamer utility) I FTP them over to the phone. I use the third party File Manager+ app on my phone which lets you start up the FTP server process very easily so it is visible to File Explorer on the PC. Or transfer using a USB cable if you don't mind the faff of that and want the faster transfer speed.

Last edited:
I use the third party File Manager+ app on my phone which lets you start up the FTP server process very easily so it is visible to File Explorer on the PC. Or transfer using a USB cable if you don't mind the faff of that and want the faster transfer speed.
I tried the USB transfer and get loads of failures claiming a device connected to the system has stopped working. A file manager with FTP server on the phone and an FTP client on the PC with the ability to restart if a failure occurs connected by WiFi is now my preferred method of transfer. In theory slower. In practice much faster.

I spent some time when first using get_iplayer working out how to set up the default filename format I wanted - PFX=YYYYMMDD=Episode=Name which I could then easily manipulate with the ReNamer utility. I still struggle each time I may want to tweak that.

I spent some time when first using get_iplayer working out how to set up the default filename format I wanted - PFX=YYYYMMDD=Episode=Name which I could then easily manipulate with the ReNamer utility. I still struggle each time I may want to tweak that.
:roflmao: I'm just grateful I can download the files! What they're called is a minor inconvenience. If you are referring to ReNamer for a PC, I find it very useful. Trouble is, sometimes it takes longer to work out how to automate the renaming than to manually rename each file. (Perhaps it gets quicker with practise.)

If you are renaming files in bulk ReNamer is definitely the way to go. You can keep tweaking the rules until you get what you want before committing.

Back