[betaftpd] New FTP server package

af123

Administrator
Staff member
The official firmware for the HDR Fox T2 includes a basic FTP server which is a modified version of tinyftp. The modifications include a set of restrictions to control which parts of the filesystem are visible over FTP, and to limit the file types that can be transferred.

Up until now the customised firmware has replaced that FTP server with a different version of tinyftp without those restrictions. In the early days, this provided a convenient route to download and view log files and parts of the system but as the firmware has evolved this is no longer really necessary. Also, tinyftp is not really a very good FTP server...

As of customised firmware 1.15 (which will be released in the next day or two), the embedded FTP server is not replaced. However, there is a new FTP server package in the repository called betaftpd. If you use FTP, then I recommend that you disable the built-in server and use betaftpd instead. This package can also be used on the HD Fox T2. (There's no need to wait for version 1.15, you can use it now). betaftpd is actually smaller than tinyftp even though it supports more of the FTP protocol, in particular passive mode.

This server has two modes of operation - if you log into the server with the usual FTP credentials (HumaxFTP/<pin>) then you will see only the /media part of the filesystem, however if you log in as root/<pin> then you will see the full filesystem.

Just to clarify, With betaftpd you can use HumaxFTP/<pin> or root/<pin> but with the embedded FTP server you can only use HumaxFTP/<pin>

Just tried this, but I appear to be missing a few folders.

If I log in as HumaxFTP I see only the 'media' folder (as expected) but with only 'drive1' underneath it (my USB stick), no 'My Video' etc.
If I log in as root I see all folders (except as above) , but also 'mod' is missing and the only folders under 'mnt' are 'hd4' and 'nfs'

Am I missing a setting somewhere (using Filezilla)?

It was working ok for me this morning but on powering back up tonight its started tinyftp and betaftpd ;) gonna install the new CF and see if that helps

It looks OK for me. You need to disable FTP in the Humax UI to stop tinyftp from being loaded.

I'm not having much joy with this, I have CF 1.15 and betaftpd installed, and have turned off native FTP. When I log on using FileZilla and the usual humaxftp details, all that I can see for the remote site is a "/" and an Empty directory listing. If I log on with root details, I can see much more, but still no media files.

I'm not having much joy with this, I have CF 1.15 and betaftpd installed, and have turned off native FTP. When I log on using FileZilla and the usual humaxftp details, all that I can see for the remote site is a "/" and an Empty directory listing. If I log on with root details, I can see much more, but still no media files.

That's the same as me. No media files, and no mod folder (logged in as root)

Try updating the betaftpd package. I've just pushed up a new version that works for me with FileZilla.

Try updating the betaftpd package. I've just pushed up a new version that works for me with FileZilla.
I have just updated, and can confirm that this now works for me using FileZilla, in normal humaxftp and root modes. Thank you for a speedy fix.:)

The startup script /mod/etc/init.d/S89betaftpd can incorrectly report an already running FTP server.

The port search grep :21 can match ports like 2130. Here is a new ll.5-6 for the script with a more specific search:
Code:
[ -n "$(pgrep tinyftp)" ] || netstat -an | grep LISTEN | grep -q ':21 ' &&
    running=1 || running=0

Back