[CFW 3.00] Customised Firmware version 3.00 released.

Now that this version fixes the BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD Zero-size non-playable recording problem, does this mean I can safely delete the following, which were installed to address said problem?

• the auto-unprotect package
  • the auto-decrypt package and
  • the badnts package.

Now that this version fixes the BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD Zero-size non-playable recording problem, does this mean I can safely delete the following, which were installed to address said problem?

• the auto-unprotect package
  • the auto-decrypt package and
  • the badnts package.

Why would you want to remove auto-unprotect and auto-decrypt? They're generally a good idea to run on everything.

I'm not convinced the problem is entirely resolved anyway. The main point of the custom firmware is to fix the things that Humax got wrong (from our point of view), there seems to me no harm in keeping the protections just in case.

Thanks for your responses.

BH - I just thought it's better to run as few things as possible.

Why would you want to remove auto-unprotect and auto-decrypt? They're generally a good idea to run on everything.

I don't copy recordings externally.

Why are they a good idea?

Updated the CFW last week with no problems so installed Detectads afterwards. Long awaited utility for many of us I suspect, but I'm having variable results so wondered how others have fared.

Sometimes it will detect adbreaks and sometimes it won't, (presumably detection parameters might need tweeking to suit a particular recording,) but twice now it has worked after an initial failed attempt.
More frustratingly, after apparently detecting breaks and getting the "Refresh page to see bookmarks" message, I get nothing when I do the refresh. Applies whether the recording is on the internal drive or an external (usb connected) one.

There is a dedicated thread on the DetectAds package which is worth a read though http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/detectads-automatically-bookmark-ad-breaks.5230/

To detect ads the program first has to be decrypted so your failed attempts may have been been before the Decrypt processing has completed, you can check for the DEC icon in the file list.

I run DetectAds automatically so don't normally see the messages associated with the manual scan, The bookmarks should appear in the header information at top of page

More frustratingly, after apparently detecting breaks and getting the "Refresh page to see bookmarks" message, I get nothing when I do the refresh. Applies whether the recording is on the internal drive or an external (usb connected) one.
I got that too, when I was dabbling with the detectads package when it was new. But, as MymsMan says, please take this discussion to the relevant topic.

I'm not convinced the problem is entirely resolved anyway. The main point of the custom firmware is to fix the things that Humax got wrong (from our point of view), there seems to me no harm in keeping the protections just in case.
You were right, BH.

Two progs recorded over the weekend on BBC3HD show up as zero file size in my GUI.

They now reside in my newly created [Decrypted Items] folder, waiting for the auto-decrypt package to do its stuff.

You were right, BH.

Two progs recorded over the weekend on BBC3HD show up as zero file size in my GUI.

They now reside in my newly created [Decrypted Items] folder, waiting for the auto-decrypt package to do its stuff.
If the length of a recording shows up as 0 minutes on-screen (by pressing the media button on the remote control and navigating to the correct folder) then it could be the zero length NTS file fault. After decryption, the faulty NTS file may be deleted and you can use the sidecar package to create a new one. However, this fault is fixed in 1.03.12 firmware. If you just have a zero byte HMT file the recording has failed to start and there is nothing to decrypt. You should still have a sizeable TS file with the zero length NTS file fault: the programme is in the TS file.
Recordings kept in a folder with a bracketed name, like the one you mention above, will not be decrypted automatically. The brackets prevent the custom firmware performing operations within such folders.

I've never experienced the zero length NTS fault. Most of my units are on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter: IIRC, I don't think that anyone tuned in to this transmitter has reported this fault. I started a poll back then, and it did seem like some transmitters were worse than others, although the sample size was small and as we don't know what caused the fault, it is not known if this is a red herring. I also look after a unit on the Oxford transmitter, and have never seen the fault there either. In this case, BBC Three HD and Four HD were not available before the 1.03.12 update, and it does sound like it happens much less frequently with this version.

I rarely record in HiDef, never from BBC THREE or FOUR (don't even have them tuned), so cannot contribute any observations.

The reason for my reticence about the 1.03.12 "cure" is that we have no information about what causes the problem, and maybe Humax doesn't either. Without knowing the actual fault one is trying to correct, it's just a stab in the dark that may seem to have a beneficial effect but is impossible to prove.

I always record in HD if the channel is available, and frequently record BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD. I've never knowingly had the zero length NTS fault, and for a long time I wasn't auto decrypting (I am now). Receiving from Sandy Heath.

For everyone's information, my firmware is as follows:-

Web interface version: 1.2.2-9
Custom firmware version: 3.02 (build 2295)
Humax Version: 1.02.32 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.00)

I haven't upgraded as I don't wish to endure the slow GUI issue.

Back