[CFW 3.00] Customised Firmware version 3.00 released.

You're being oblique. I thought I had spelled it out well enough.

The DLNA database issue is not CF related. If you get crashes with content sharing turned on but no crashes when turned off, and crashes even with the network disconnected, the hypothesis is that you have a corrupted DLNA database. The only way to reset the database without CF is to format the HDD. With the CF installed, you can use the WebIF to reset the database without formatting the HDD.

Is that clear enough now?

I have the custom f/w on again now---give me time!

I reset the dlna database and let it index everything. Just turned the box on and it crashed almost immediately. The word CRASH shows on the display before it does a timed reboot.

I am not being oblique, I was in no position to try the fix last night, but the fix did not, I repeat, did not work. Is that plain enough?

Code:
>>> Contents of /mod/tmp/crash.log 356 bytes

Humax crashed at Tue Jul 15 20:30:55 UTC 2014 - Uptime: 66
Humax crashed at Tue Jul 15 21:00:04 UTC 2014 - Uptime: 66
Humax crashed at Tue Jul 15 21:05:06 UTC 2014 - Uptime: 67
Humax crashed at Tue Jul 15 21:36:08 UTC 2014 - Uptime: 150
Humax crashed at Wed Jul 16 03:20:54 UTC 2014 - Uptime: 231
Humax crashed at Wed Jul 16 08:59:45 UTC 2014 - Uptime: 67

Oh, and it always starts up on the BBC Red Button channel now. (Installed poc., cured that.)

(I cured BBC1=8 by installing the renumbering package and editing the settings.)

So, it seems that loads of old settings are left behind and are still effective. The button on Diagnostics to remove custom packages and settings isn't working.

Oh, and it is custom f/w related, because the problem didn't even exist until I installed the first version of 3.0.

Restarted the box. About 80 seconds after starting, it crashed again. (LAN connected.)

More information:

* Started HDR T2 without the LAN cable and no crash.
* Disable DLNA on box
* Reconnect LAN
* Reset database via Webif
* Disconnect LAN
* Restart DLNA on box
* Leave for several minutes

So far so good...

* Reconnect LAN

Almost immediate crash.

RMA the box if you are saying that old settings are still affecting things. This will give you a clean slate.

As for your crashing, do you have media that is being indexed on your network? on a NAS for example?
The DNLA scanner doesn't like some media which causes it to hang/crash.

Or do you have other devices on your network that the Humax does not like - this has also been reported before.
Easy to test - turn everything else off, and switch them on one by one.

Or, you just have a corrupt package. I would RMA and start again if you don't know whats going on.

The BBC1 being on Ch8 does not make any sense if you have not previously installed the PoweronChannel package.. You should remember if you have installed this yes?

Hi Chris

Nothing else has changed on the network. Everything co-operated successfully until 3.0. I have two media servers and also a WD TV Live box that thinks it is.

The channel number and poc? BBC1=8 was historic, I had moved channels round so BBC1 HD was on channel 1 as some stage. No way should that be effective if I haven't even got renumbering installed, but installing it and changing the assignment solved that problem. Similarly for poc, but I have never had BBC Red Button as default startup channel, ever.

I am backing recordings up at the moment. I will try doing what you said if the backup finishes before my annual holiday! I failed to get rsync to work. I followed instructions but got nonsense error messages. Similarly with trying to mount one of my NASes using mount and cifs. Either a message about some module or the command never returned to the prompt. So, I am backing up to my laptop. If it takes too long, I may remove the T2 drive, but last time I checked, Win8 cannot run Ext2fs to read it, which means using another laptop with Linux on, which doesn't have enough disk space.

Defaulting to BBC Red Button is a side-effect of the disableota package that poc can override.
I would try Chris' suggestion of turning everything on one-by-one. This does look like an interaction with something on the network based on what you've posted.

Or, you just have a corrupt package.
I'm not sure what you mean by a corrupt package (and have certainly never seen one). Certainly none of the packages should be able to cause a DLNA-related crash.

I failed to get rsync to work. I followed instructions but got nonsense error messages. Similarly with trying to mount one of my NASes using mount and cifs. Either a message about some module or the command never returned to the prompt.
What do you expect anyone to say in response to this?
Maybe if you told people exactly what commands you issued and exactly what responses you got, then maybe someone would suggest something. As it is, you're just whining in a "non-specific drivel" type of way. This doesn't help anybody.
I'm not sure what you mean by a corrupt package (and have certainly never seen one).
I'm sure he doesn't know either. People like to invent things when they can't pin some blame on something.

I'm not sure what you mean by a corrupt package (and have certainly never seen one).
I'm sure he doesn't know either. People like to invent things when they can't pin some blame on something.

lol I meant corrupt in the general sense that it didn't install properly or the package download got interrupted or something.

I think I had a dodgy package yesterday - I had the package "Unencrypt" listed but no details in the package list.. it just didnt look right. So i've gone through my entire package list and forced a reinstall on everything just in case. If i'm still seeing weirdness, I'll follow my own advice and RMA it and start again.

Chris, I tried the RMA with no luck. Haven't tried a reset and formatting the HDD yet, but if that fails the unit is going in the bin.

If you want to completely reset your box then do this:
  • Install latest custom firmware;
  • Put into RMA mode and restart (such that the front display says ==RMA==);
  • Install the System Flush update file from the Wiki downloads page.
From what you have posted on here, it doesn't seem likely that your problems are related to the new CFW version. The crashes you're experiencing are the Humax software, not any of the custom components. I can tell that from the fact that you are getting entries in the crash.log and presumably the front panel is saying Crash. A kernel crash would present as a completely hung box apart from possibly audio still playing. It is almost definitely something else on your network that has been upgraded or had a new app installed or just hit a trigger point based on the number of recordings you now have.

I'm not reading back through this and the other threads now to see what else you've done or tried, but having residual traces of packages in flash is a symptom of manually clearing files from the disk /mod area, reformatting or swapping the drive. The above RMA and flush process will completely remove all traces of the CFW files, settings, packages etc. and the box will restart in a fresh state with the standard Humax wizard and then the CFW bootstrap web interface for installing the rest.

System flush may have cured it. Starting the DLNA server caused a reboot, but two restarts after that have not caused a crash after 80 seconds. It is late now, so I may experiment more tomorrow to see how stable the machine is.

==RMA==? I didn't see that message. After setting RMA mode and rebooting, it came up with Custom f/w 3.0 displayed, not ==RMA==!

And, I repeat, as you probably haven't read it, af123, NOTHING had changed on my LAN, not even an update to a NAS or TV, and the problem started the INSTANT I installed 3.0. I am not blaming anyone, I just wish people would listen. ONLY THE CUSTOM F/W HAD CHANGED!:oops:

Chris, has your HDMI problem resolved?

If you don't want it, I'll have it rather than it go in the bin...

you're just whining in a "non-specific drivel" type of way. This doesn't help anybody.

I might have considered it if you were more civil.

Anyway, I just turned the box on, and it crashed after 80 seconds in a non-specific, drivel sort of way. It is going in the bin. Thanks a lot, Custom f/w 3.0 version 1! (And possibly 2.)

And, I repeat, as you probably haven't read it, af123, NOTHING had changed on my LAN, not even an update to a NAS or TV, and the problem started the INSTANT I installed 3.0. I am not blaming anyone, I just wish people would listen. ONLY THE CUSTOM F/W HAD CHANGED!:oops:
I can understand that but, on the basis of what you've posted so far, I still think it's a coincidence. I've been back through the code changes in 3.00 in detail and there is absolutely nothing that should cause the standard and unmodified Humax software to crash, and the fact that the problem persists when you roll back tends to support that - with a full installation of stock 1.02.32 and the system flush process, there is absolutely nothing left from CFW3.00 on your box.

That the crashes occur when you plug in the LAN cable points directly to it being an interaction problem with something on the LAN as has been suggested a couple of times above. Have you tried disconnecting everything then reconnecting them one at a time? If it /is/ an interaction issue, then the new firewalling feature in CFW 3.00 can be used to stop the crashes.

I'm not blindly protecting the CFW - there have been plenty of bugs in the past and if there is one here I want to find and fix it, but so far I can't find any evidence that there is, and there are now over 1500 customised boxes using it.

I still think it's a coincidence

And what probability do you assign to that?

Thanks for the help, but the T2 is dismantled and binned now. It was only ever used for recordings the Foxsat couldn't handle, and I can use the Youview box for those. Don't worry about it, except I hope nobody else has this happen.

If the bin has not been collected, please unbin it and I'll have it. How much dismantling have you done?

Back