CFW Install Failure

Sabreur

CFW install went OK on Box 1 so I decided to upgrade another unit,. This was not so rewarding. First attempt failed. My fault' I had assumed the 16GB USB2 stick was FAT 32 - Wrong! it was NTFS.Reformatted the stick and tried again. Update was very slow and the automatic restart never happened so tried a manual shutdown and restart. that failed and finally I removed the power plug. Boot was very slow 5 mins or more. Eventually the Custom Firmware message was displayed and a long delay before the RX output came up with an off-air picture with a "HDD Failed..." message. RX, EPG etc all function but no HDD functions. Pulled the HDD out and tried to run it up externally. No disk motor noise only the clicking of the head arm. Linux/Qparted failed to detect anything. Disk is Seagate Pipeline ST35000312CS.

I can't borrow the disk from Box 1, it's in a different country! I have a couple of Baracude 500GB disks, will these work well enough to test the box before I buy a replacement? Recertified 500GB Pipelines are cheap as chips but I thought 2 or 4TB would be more appropriate as I transition to HD; any recomendations? Is disk replacement plug and play or do I have to edit fstab? I wasn't able to install Telnet is this going to be a problem? Is there an idiots guide available?

I have a couple of Baracude 500GB disks, will these work well enough to test the box before I buy a replacement?
Yes.
I thought 2 or 4TB would be more appropriate
2TB is the absolute limit on the Foxsat. The actual limit may or may not be less than that, I don't know.
Is disk replacement plug and play
Yes. You might need a speed-limit jumper - I can't remember, look at the old disk.
do I have to edit fstab?
No.
I wasn't able to install Telnet is this going to be a problem?
Possibly. How were you going to edit the fstab without telnet and without a hard disk, given that the telnet server installs on to the disk?
Is there an idiots guide available?
Read the text file provided in the firmware archive. Once the WebIf is installed click on the Documentation icon.

CFW install went OK on Box 1 so I decided to upgrade another unit,. This was not so rewarding. First attempt failed. My fault' I had assumed the 16GB USB2 stick was FAT 32 - Wrong!
I'm confused. If the "install went OK on Box 1", how come your UPD wasn't FAT32 after that???

The Foxsat will automatically format a new HDD up to 1TB. If you want anything larger then it has to be manually formatted/partitioned before installing it in the Foxsat.

Back