[channeldel] Automatically delete unwanted channels (Note: now superseded by tunefix)

http://www.cable.co.uk/community/qa/can-i-get-bt-sport-on-freeview-q40/

There are no current plans to make BT Sport available on Freeview.

You may have noticed that BT Sport 1 and BT Sport 2 are now listed on your Freeview programme guide (channels 58 and 59). This is because BT TV delivers its channels through the Freeview platform.

You’ll only be able to watch the channels when they launch on 1 August if you have subscribed to BT Sport and have either a BT TV and broadband package or a Sky box.

Again, apologies for this off-topic diversion.

If a mod wants to syphon off the last few posts to another thread, I'd be agreeable.

If that means LCNs 58 and 59 are IPTV hooks, you had best delete them anyway because they have a tendency to make the Humax crash.

I installed this package when it was released. I only noticed last night that Pick TV is included in the default list., and was therefore deleted.

I backed up the schedule and did a manual retune on just the mux containing Pick TV. Pick was restored, but interestingly, the recording schedule was not deleted as expected. I am on 1.02.32 CF 2.17

Pick TV isn't in the default list.. You had me worried for a minute though : )

Code:
The Space
Christian
CONNECT*
VISION*
GOD TV
SONY SAB
CCTV
Sports
Racing TV

I backed up the schedule and did a manual retune on just the mux containing Pick TV. Pick was restored, but interestingly, the recording schedule was not deleted as expected. I am on 1.02.32 CF 2.17
I believe that doing a selective retune only deletes items in the schedule relating to the services on the mux(es) in question.

I honestly can't account for pick TV being in the list. I assumed it came from a "TV" wildcard. Didn't mean to accuse you, af123.

Thanks BH. I don't usually record anything on the channels on this mux, except an Idiot Abroad on pick. That would explain why the schedule looked complete afterward the retune.

Is there any way of making the package delete the duplicate channels from unwanted transmitters i.e. those isn the 800s? Although I can get rid of *wales*, the ITV1 channel has the same name, and so can't be included in the 'to be deleted' list.

Although I'd think deleting 800s could be done I'm not sure it would be very useful. If you have duplicates the software won't know if the 800 is actually the 'wrong' one, so I'd have thought you need to decide yourself. Ideally you need to try not to have 800s in the first place, eg. by manual tuning.
And those who deliberately have 800s won't want them deleted.

It would be useful for me! Isn't the idea of the package to make retuning less of a hassle by not bringing a bunch of unwanted channels into the picture? So being able to just hit auto retune without thinking too much about it would be better than having to decide whatever is needed for manual tuning. For me the wrong one is the one with the 800 number. For others, they needn't request such channels are deleted (if the facility was possible/implemented)

If not easily integrated into the package, it's easily done with an Sqlite3 database tweak. I can't remember if I've posted something like that already (try a search!). I know I tried it on my box and it worked fine...

You can run the retune/kill_800 diagnostic if you want to remove all channels over 799 quickly. I think selective manual tuning is the way to go though if you routinely end up with channels in the 800 range.

I agree, there is no absolute certainty that the 800+ services are not actually the ones you want to keep.

I've deleted by accident some channels thus putting them into the left hand side box. I cannot seem to get the back. I've tried an automatic channel search (menu, settings, installation, automatic search), this results in no additional channels being shown. I am not rebooting after the scan. Any ideas?

David

Have you removed the deleted channels from the Settings page >> Automatic Channel Deletion screen and then run a automatic channel search?

Thank Ezra, didn't realise it was as simple as manually deleting the channels from the left then clicking save. Thanks for your help.

David

I've found the channeldel package really useful. Am I right in assuming that some part of it is automatically triggered after a retune to delete the channels you don't want?

And if that's the case, might it be possible (in the future) to automatically trigger a restore of the most recent favourites/schedule backup after a retune (if you've selected an option to do so)? I would guess that *most* people would do a backup before a retune and then a restore afterwards, so I think this would be a popular feature? Even more so if it could somehow automatically create a backup immediately before a retune but I guess that would be impossible/harder to do because you'd somehow need to make the Humax's retune process 'wait' for the backup to complete before it wipes the channels and starts tuning.

Back