HD-FOX CF Host UPD

It is a simple TLA, needing no more nor less explanation than any other acronym
Actually, it's a complex TLA because it contains within itself another TLA, namely USB. It is this shortening of the instantly recognisabe term USB to the solitary letter U that makes the use of UPD such a poor choice, often requiring clarification, as already witnessed here on several occasions.
However, you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink, so for the sake of forum harmony I will not longer attemp to dissuade BH from his insistence in using this term.

Nuff said?

There is clearly no perfect name for the item in question (see post #39). I have an idea. I can create a new thread in the site/ forum issues section and ask people to suggest possible names. After a week I can set up a poll (probably with the aid of Brian to increase the number of options) and ask people to vote. Whatever is chosen becomes the official site temininology, with a link to the definition. Then we use this term and stop arguing about it. Of course, it relies on people to be sensible, otherwise we might end up having to call the offending article Jeremy, or whatever, in perpetuity!

I can create a new thread in the site/ forum issues section and ask people to suggest possible names. After a week I can set up a poll (probably with the aid of Brian to increase the number of options) and ask people to vote. Whatever is chosen becomes the official site temininology, with a link to the definition. Then we use this term and stop arguing about it. Of course, it relies on people to be sensible
By all means set up the poll, It will be interesting to see how BH justifies not abiding by a majority decision made by forum members
It's the constant arguing about it which is tedious
I totally agree, so let us have 'Monty's' poll and put and end to it permanently

Moderators have a specific role: keeping posts on topic, preventing spam, keeping posts clean, preventing on-line abuse. Tell me how your expectation fits any of those categories.
By moderating any posts that stray off topic by criticizing your chosen use of the stupid TLA 'UPD'. Every time you use it, it is met with OT posts when most people here know full well what your misguided TLA actually means. That's how. Post 13 out of 45 was about the last on topic post here. Ah no, 23 through 28 were on topic as well. So that makes 19 out of 45.

it is met with OT posts when most people here know full well what your misguided TLA actually means.
Isn't that the real problem? That's what takes threads off topic. Argue about it as much as you want in the Arms but leave the main forum alone as a reference. A poll isn't going to change anything, and I'd guess that a fair number of votes would end up in the 'Other' option!

What is the real problem? '...met with OT posts....' or BH's use of his unconventional TLA? If the latter, why can not people just ignore it?
There you go, yet three more off topic posts:frantic:

I would be the first to advocate the reduction of Off Topic content in these forums, my signature used to to read 'When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed', however we can't allow a situation where the OT rule is used to allow some posts to go unchallenged. A lot of users have already voted on the issue in this thread, e.g. -

#19 Andy Hurley . . . In my world people normally call them flash drives
#23 Wallace . . . Anything is better than a U Piggin' D!
#30 ezra pound . . . What is a UPD?
#35 af123 . . . I don't think UPD is the best term for it
#41 Raydon . . . It is this shortening of the instantly recognisable term USB to the solitary letter U that makes the use of UPD such a poor choice
#43 Owen Smith . . . I don't like UPD myself as a name
#45 Trev . . . your chosen use of the stupid TLA 'UPD'

And just for balance, 'All those in favour?' - OH, I see

You start a conversation you can't even finish it.
You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again?

I would be more than happy to delete the many thousands of posts that are off topic, but this would no doubt cause endless arguments and further OT posts complaining what was and wasn't off topic.:rolleyes:

I noticed on another forum (relating to amazon kindle, I think) that they had the facility to amend an entry along the lines of:
"This response was deemed to be off topic, select 'show response' if you want to see the entry ..." Or words to that effect.

Is there such a capability in this forum?

Ezra: do not quote me as being for or against anything. You're being deliberately awkward in this thread and I do not want to be used as a tool for your whinging.

Likewise - my full quote was "I don't think UPD is the best term for it either but Black Hole can call it what he wants" (my opinion, obviously!)
Reposting partial quotes to support an argument isn't cricket.

No-one has ever asked what WiKi means
Of course not, it's just a typographic idiosyncrasy that reads like a registered trade mark or a dyslexic author.

I do wonder if this entire thread is just a vehicle for you to promote UPD
Do you? I sympathise, the world must be a very confusing place for you.

If you read it (ie "this entire thread"), ignoring the pollution and getting over your indignation that I dare to use an acronym (simple or complex, I don't give a ****) that you don't happen to personally approve of (again, I don't give a **** what a few oiks with over-inflated opinions of themselves think), you will see that there is a series of reports on a potentially serious issue I am having and which seems not (so far) to affect anyone else.

Before anyone fires off a complaint about the content of this post, it would not have been voiced at all if you had all shut up after the last one. You know my views, you know I am entitled to my views and free expression, and you know you would be the first to complain if anybody tried to censor your own posts - so can the hypocrisy.

Now let's get back on topic!

@ af123 But it does seem to be your opinion that you 'don't think UPD is the best term for it either' and as such is valid 'evidence' as is the quote from my post. I just wish people would not kick this off pretty much every time BH uses his preferred term.

Back