HD-FOX CF Host UPD

Ezra: do not quote me as being for or against anything. You're being deliberately awkward in this thread and I do not want to be used as a tool for your whinging.
It is a direct quote, they are your words, It was not my intention to alienate any of the users detailed in my post, it was simply an attempt to point out that all these uses are of a similar opinion when it comes to that term, it was a hope that even someone who obviously sees himself as superior to all other users of this forum, who can only referrer to other users as 'you people' and 'oiks' will see reason in this matter and stop using misleading terminology that new users won't understand

And I suspect that many new users will not understand the constant bickering that goes on here. It's like a bunch of school kids in the playground. And before you start on me, my dad is bigger than your dad.

It is a direct quote, they are your words, It was not my intention to alienate any of the users detailed in my post, it was simply an attempt to point out that all these uses are of a similar opinion when it comes to that term, it was a hope that even someone who obviously sees himself as superior to all other users of this forum, who can only referrer to other users as 'you people' and 'oiks' will see reason in this matter and stop using misleading terminology that new users won't understand

Yes they are my words, and I am requesting that you do not quote them. I do not wish to have my words used to support your whinging.

Frankly you are making a fool of yourself Ezra. I come to hummy.tv for advice on my Humax, not holy wars about acronyms.

Has everybody with an axe to grind finished? Okay, back on track and disregarding the foregoing pollution (post 30 onwards) to this topic:

I don't beleeeeve it! Different UPD, and the modsettings folder has cleared out again.
Following the apparent failure of the previous UPD I had purchased a brand new SanDisk which I had difficulty initialising, so I fell back on an old one with which I had a similar difficulty but persisted and had running fine for less than four weeks! I will try again with the SanDisk now the process has been debugged, but before that is there anything I can do to find out what's going on?

The symptoms this time are similar, but not identical. The HD-FOX is in nightly use to catch up with recordings from the HDRs, but I have no reason to use the WebIF or such like on a regular basis, so I only notice when the remote mounts fail (and I fall back on DLNA). Previously the UPD dropped out of the USB device list. This time, the UPD is still registered, but the [ModSettings] folder is completely empty (even when viewed through Telnet). According to WebIF, network-shares-automount is still installed, I uninstalled and reinstalled it but the nfs and smb sub-folders were not created. The WebIF takes ages for the pages to load, indicating retried accesses to the CF data on the UPD maybe?

Right, well I could not get the SanDisk Cruzer to be recognised as anything other than "no suitable drive for Ext2 conversion detected", so I used the commands in post 26 again and I seem to be up and running (again). Any bets how long for?

Well bugger me, the UPD has lost the plot again. Everything had been fine until this morning, when I foolishly decided to tweak the network-shares-automount settings in the [ModSettings] folder, using the SUI media browser folder renaming options (as usual, as opposed to the WebIF or Telnet etc). The result was that the [ModSettings] folder vanished. Hard reset and reboot: no change. Power cycle: /mod went as well! The WebIF responds with "you need to install the CF to an external drive, but no suitable drive has been detected" (I paraphrase).

Am I the only one to suffer these problems? Is it this particular HD-FOX that eats UPDs? Maybe everyone else has hard drives connected??

I could swap it out. Of my other two, one doesn't currently have CF installed and is just used as a tuner, and the other isn't in use at all.

I have a 64GB USB stick in my HD and I even record to it occasionally. Haven't seen any problems yet...

Does this tell you anything?:
Code:
Maintenance mode is initialising... Please wait...
Menu version 1.12
Enter system PIN: ****

/---------------------------------------------\
      |  M A I N T E N A N C E   M O D E   M E N U  |
      \---------------------------------------------/

[ Humax HD-Fox T2 (HDFOX1) 1.03.02/3.02 ]

Note: Some areas of the hard disk are not mounted.
        Not all functions will be available.
        (normal if you have just run a disk check)

No suitable drive for EXT2 conversion detected.
  epg - Clear persistent EPG data.
dlna - Reset DLNA server database.
    x - Leave maintenance mode (Humax will restart).
diag - Run a diagnostic.
  cli - System command line (advanced users).

Please select option: cli

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now starting a system command prompt. You can make this the default by
enabling 'Expert mode telnet server' on the web interface settings page.

Humax HD-Fox T2 (HDFOX1) 1.03.02/3.02

To return to the menu, type: exit

humax# mke2fs -m 0 -O sparse_super -q /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1 contains a ext2 file system
        last mounted on Sat Jan  1 00:00:10 2000
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
/dev/sda1: Read-only file system while setting up superblock
humax#

Strange - have you tried to run a check on what's already there? (e2fsck /dev/sda1)

Can do now you've told me...
Code:
Menu version 1.12
Enter system PIN: ****

/---------------------------------------------\
      |  M A I N T E N A N C E   M O D E   M E N U  |
      \---------------------------------------------/

[ Humax HD-Fox T2 (HDFOX1) 1.03.02/3.02 ]

Note: Some areas of the hard disk are not mounted.
        Not all functions will be available.
        (normal if you have just run a disk check)

No suitable drive for EXT2 conversion detected.
  epg - Clear persistent EPG data.
 dlna - Reset DLNA server database.
    x - Leave maintenance mode (Humax will restart).
 diag - Run a diagnostic.
  cli - System command line (advanced users).

Please select option: cli

Now starting a system command prompt. You can make this the default by
enabling 'Expert mode telnet server' on the web interface settings page.

Humax HD-Fox T2 (HDFOX1) 1.03.02/3.02

To return to the menu, type: exit

humax# e2fsck /dev/sda1
e2fsck 1.42.10 (18-May-2014)
/usr/lib/ext2/bin/e2fsck: Read-only file system while trying to open /dev/sda1
Disk write-protected; use the -n option to do a read-only
check of the device.
humax# e2fsck /dev/sda1 -n

<<< Too much output! >>>

How do I make the output go a page at a time? "| more" doesn't work. Obviously I can't divert it to a file...

No more guidance on this? Presumably the UPD has gone read-only, although why that would make folders disappear (even if written to) is beyond me.

I could just fix this, but at the moment I am preserving the evidence for CSI.

It's not mounted (that's not because I unmounted it).

I couldn't get FTP access (because of maintenance mode?), but e2fsck -n has got a lot shorter anyway:

Code:
humax# umount /dev/sda1
umount: can't umount /dev/sda1: Invalid argument
humax# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/mtdblock1 on /var/lib/humaxtv type jffs2 (rw)
/dev/mtdblock2 on /var/lib/humaxtv_backup type jffs2 (rw)
humax# e2fsck /dev/sda1
/usr/lib/ext2/bin/e2fsck: Read-only file system while trying to open /dev/sda1
Disk write-protected; use the -n option to do a read-only
check of the device.
humax# e2fsck /dev/sda1 -n
/dev/sda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Deleted inode 98501 has zero dtime.  Fix? no

Deleted inode 98502 has zero dtime.  Fix? no

Deleted inode 98529 has zero dtime.  Fix? no

Deleted inode 98536 has zero dtime.  Fix? no

Deleted inode 98539 has zero dtime.  Fix? no

Deleted inode 98541 has zero dtime.  Fix? no

Deleted inode 98556 has zero dtime.  Fix? no

Deleted inode 98567 has zero dtime.  Fix? no

Error reading block 393339 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while getting next inode from
scan.  Ignore error? no

Error while scanning inodes (99648): Can't read next inode

/dev/sda1: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

e2fsck: aborted

/dev/sda1: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

humax#

Try putting it in your HDR and fixing it there. At least you'll have useful tools. Trying to do anything on the HD is difficult.
Are you sure this device is physically OK? Try "badblocks -sv /dev/sda1". You can run that on the HD.

No I'm not sure. That's the point. UPDs in this HD-FOX seem to die every few months.

Good idea about the HDR though.

It's a pain having to use the normal network to access the FOXes, and then switch back to the MiFi to report results!

I've tried plugging the offending UPD into an HDR-FOX - it's not recognised. I plugged it into windows, and although it is acknowledged in Device Manager, it does not show up as a drive letter, nor can I find a way of allocating it a drive letter, or to format it. My HP USB formatting tool does not recognise its existence (although I think that specifically looks for HP UPDs, I am sure I have used it on other UPDs in the past).

I've found that some UPDs, which Windows won't do anything with, can be brought back to a semblance of normality by use of gparted under a linux system (which, of course, can be a system booted from CD etc with a Live Linux distro).
I currently have 2 64GB Patriot UPDs recovered in this fashion, which are used to take recorded shows/films when we go away.
You have to be prepared to sacrifice all data on them and write a new partition setup (which can be done without total loss, if you are lucky)

Back