HDR-Fox T2 Custom firmware v1.02.32 m3.00 problems

cbh

I have an HDR-Fox T2 running firmware v1.02.32 and have installed the customised firmware m3.00 on top of this (apparently successfully). This is the first time I have installed any customised firmware.

I am able to access the PVR from a browser via it's IP address and I have confirmed that the PVR has access to the internet by accessing the Humax TV Portal.

Each time I try to download and install the full web interface, I receive the following message:

This may take some time depending on your Internet connection speed.
Connection to online repository at http : // hpkg.tv successful!
Updating package list...

Downloading http : // hpkg.tv / hdrfoxt2 / base / Packages.gz.
Inflating http : // hpkg.tv / hdrfoxt2 / base / Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /mod / var / opkg / base.
Collected errors:
* unzip: Invalid gzip magic
Unknown package 'webif'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package webif.

Error installing packages. Please try again.

Can you help?
* spaces added to links due to restriction on posting links

As a newcomer I would steer clear of 3.00 for the time being, there are difficulties with it and I don't know to what extent they affect what you are seeing. Stick with 2.23 until v3 has been properly run in.

See http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/cfw-3-00-customised-firmware-version-3-00-released.5216/

If you continue to have difficulty with 2.23 (install the official 1.02.32 first to clear out 3.00, then the appropriate custom firmware file), please post again.

I don't know what's happening there. It appears that something is corrupting the download from the package server in some way, or the transfer is being interrupted. Is the Humax plugged directly into your Internet router? Do you have some kind of central firewall or anti-virus scanner?
(I can't believe I'm actually going to write this but...) have you tried turning it off and on again?

If you can't get it to work via the web interface we can try some things from the command line.

I have reverted to the official firmware v1.02.32 and that loaded the modified firmware m2.23 on top of this and it has mare no difference.

It is possible there are issues with a sort of 'family filter' that has been set up on the the internet connection I am using (blame the morons who set this up, I have no control over it), which I may be abke to overcome by manually visiting whatever http addresses the download is trying to connect to and manually validating these. Is there a list of these addresses?

The Humax is connected directly via ethernet to my router, which is then connected via ethernet to a communal internet service (with aforementioned filters). I do have a separate mobile broadband wi-fi router that I generally use for internet access, however this is connected to my PC only and not the humax (or the router), nor can I easily do so. I did, however, disable this wi-fi connection before trying the Humax foirmware installations, so this could not be causing a problem.

It does, however, mean that I could download whatever files are needed via my mobile broadband wi-fi connection and transfer these to the Humax either via ftp or USB flash drive. Is this possible?

I can also connect to the Humax via ethernet using a web browser, so perhaps installation could be performed this way.

PS. Yes I did reboot the Humax (both soft and hard) each time and at appopriate intervals. I may be a Newbie but I'm also fairy tech-savvy.

Great. I've installed the webif bundle and now have the Customised Firmware Interface available via web browser. I will have a 'play' and look at other available packages.

My first task is to facilitate copying (decoded) 4GB+ files from the Humax to my PC via USB (I understand not possible to decode and copy via FTP). I have installed the "NTFS 3G 2013.1.13-2 Mount NTFS" bundle OK and formatted my flash drive as NTFS and it seems OK so far. Great!

Given that the problem was most likely the filter on my internet service, is it worth upgrading to m3.00 now, is it is as yet unproven, as I don't want to lose any bundles/configuration etc if I upgrade later?

My first task is to facilitate copying (decoded) 4GB+ files from the Humax to my PC via USB (I understand not possible to decode and copy via FTP).
With custom firmware, of course you can. Things Every... (click) presumes no custom firmware, but if you follow the link in section 5 you get a full run-down of the possibilities.

Given that the problem was most likely the filter on my internet service, is it worth upgrading to m3.00 now, is it is as yet unproven, as I don't want to lose any bundles/configuration etc if I upgrade later?
The way I see it, without Internet connectivity the big disadvantage is not being able to access the package management facilities (particularly the "available" tab) in the WebIF or use the auto-update package. I recommend you concentrate on finding a way to access the repository live rather than spend time fiddling with off-line procedures.

That said, updates to the basic custom firmware installation do not usually affect the installed packages.

Thanks. I had read the "Things Every..." document but had missed the link to the decryption possibilities. I transfer a large number of recording (all StdDef) to external USB's connected to my PC; currently I copy from Humax to USB (to decrypt) and then I use FTP to copy from the Humax's USB to my PC. I'll look through the options in detail later as none seem immediately ideal for me (e.g. decrypt and copy directly via from the Humax HDD to PC HDD via FTP), however option 3 seems to be closest as it involves minimal intervention and does not involve delays or renames.

My internet connectivity problems are largely out of my control due to current accommodation circumstances. I am, however, trying to get whatever ridiculous filters have been installed disabled, at least for me.

The main obstacle I have had is corruption of 4GB+ StdDef files when copied to my PC; hopefully the customised firmware with the use of NTFS USB drives will resolve this, but I need a big recording to test it (maybe this weekend). That fixed and I'll be a happy bunny - everything else (which looks great) will be a bonus.

4GB is only an hour of recording - from a HiDef channel. (Or maybe a bit longer - the bit rate has dropped)

I think I am safe in saying that a great many of us just set auto-decrypt and forget about it.

I currently only use StdDef, which is fine for me, so I rarely get 4GB+ recordings. If I understand auto-decrypt properly, it sequentially decrypts recordings in either all or selected folders/sub-folders in background mode between scheduled hours. As I have had a lot of stability problems with my Humax (crashes especially when renaming/copying/moving files and/or using E4/E4+1/More4) I tend to play safe and copy files en-masse at idle times. I also often have recordings scheduled between 1am and 6am and don't want to risk crashes if decrypting while recording. Also I only copy off about 30% of my recordings so don't need to decrypt anything.

I realise that I could move files to a specified folder and then wait for auto-decrypt to process and then copy off later but this could end up being more complicated and time consuming that simply manually decrypting/copying files at whatever time is most convenient for me to do so.

unencrypt uses a schedule, which can be altered, but unencrypt is deprecated in favour of auto-decrypt. These processes are run at a low priority so as not to conflict with anything else the HDR-FOX is doing. But it's horses for courses - the facilities are there for a wide range of usages, how you use them is up to you.

Your stability issues are worrying, we would not be putting up with that. I have four HDR-FOXes in use, all of which are running decryption or audio stream extraction on a regular basis, with hardly ever a hitch. I don't worry about it. Now you have CF, go in on Telnet and run a disk check.

I'd give it a try if I were you. It tends to decrypt faster than a USB copy in my experience.
I regularly transfer selected series for conversion on PC.
I have auto unprotect installed, this flags programs enabling decryption capability.
I then drop required program/series (using webif copy/paste it's faster) into a folder set to auto-decrypt.
Within a few minutes they are decrypted ready for me to pull them off via FTP.

... As I have had a lot of stability problems with my Humax (crashes especially when renaming/copying/moving files...

Apologies for a delayed comment, but I only just now read through this thread.

Long ago, my HDR used to crash sometimes when moving files, exasperating and disruptive, to the point where I had to avoid moving any files if there was a recording in progress - which was a hassle.

However something I read on this forum, gave me a clue that it might be a DLNA database issue. So I set the database to re-build, and have cleared and re-built it intermittently ever since as a 'good housekeeping' process - and the crashes have stopped.

So it would be worth giving that a try to see if it helps.

(Easy to do:
Use remote control and TV to go to Menu > Settings > Internet > and set Content Share to Off.
In Web interface, go to Diagnostics page, DLNA Server, Reset DLNA Database.
Then go back to remote control, Menu > Settings > Internet > and set Content Share to On.
The DLNA database will rebuild.)

Back