Is the fan package working on my HDR?

InteraX

Hi guys.
Whilst I seem to be using my device less and less these days, I still find it useful for recording live TV occasionally etc.
I have the fan utility installed and until last night I had the minimum speed set to 69%.
Recently, I have been getting drive temperature alerts in the webif.
Looking at the HDD temperature graphs in sysmon, I can see that the drive starts at around 25C, goes up to 55C. During this time, the fan is shown as off. The fan then shows as being on at full for a couple of minutes until the temperature drops to 54C, then the fan drops to half until the temperature drops to 51C, then the fan drops to quarter until the temperature drops to 49C when the fan switches off.
Last night I set the fan package to have a minimum speed of 100%. This has not changed the temperatures I am seeing on my HDD.

Does this sound like a faulty fan, driver or similar hardware issue or do you think this is a hardware issue?

Thanks for your advice.

I think you need to run the fix-flash-packages diagnostic, followed by a reboot, instead of all that speculation.

Does this sound like a faulty fan, driver or similar hardware issue or do you think this is a hardware issue?
What? How can you think that?

Looking at the HDD temperature graphs in sysmon, I can see that the drive starts at around 25C, goes up to 55C. During this time, the fan is shown as off. The fan then shows as being on at full for a couple of minutes until the temperature drops to 54C, then the fan drops to half until the temperature drops to 51C, then the fan drops to quarter until the temperature drops to 49C when the fan switches off.
Note that sysmon knows nothing about whether the fan is on or off, it is only telling you what the fan would be doing under the normal unmodified control algorithm.

Nonetheless, what do you imagine brought the HDD temperature down if it wasn't the fan (working!)?

All this means is your fan package isn't working. See post 2.

The reason the Fan package is not working is that sometime in the past your Humax crashed, You should have had an alert message that some packages had been disabled. Fan is one of the packages that was disabled!

You can prevent this happening in the future (but you will still receive the warning message) by running the diagnostic plugin_autodisable/off on the webif Diag page

The reason the Fan package is not working is that sometime in the past your Humax crashed, You should have had an alert message that some packages had been disabled. Fan is one of the packages that was disabled!

You can prevent this happening in the future (but you will still receive the warning message) by running the diagnostic plugin_autodisable/off on the webif Diag page
Why do packages get disabled by crashes?

If it's some safety feature what bad might happen if you run the code

Why do packages get disabled by crashes?

If it's some safety feature what bad might happen if you run the code
Yes, There is the possibility that a fault in the CF code could lead to a continual crash-reboot cycle that would be difficult to break.
This has yet to happen in more than 10 years, if errors were introduced they would be likely to be detected in Beta testing. So for most people it is safe disablement of packages. Unfortunately we can't disable crashes!

Back