Loss of CFW with newer models

I've been using an HDR-Fox T2 with custom firmware for over 3 years now and wouldn't be without it. Unfortunately I may now have to as the unit will now not power on. From checks that I have made it looks like the main board has failed. Short of looking on eBay for a used replacement recorder which will take some time I thought about getting an HDR2000T. However, this leads me to wonder what I will miss by not having the CFW? Did Humax address the shortcomings of the standard firmware in the Fox models with the newer models? Can anybody enlighten me as to differences that I may notice? Decrypting recordings for transfer elsewhere (on a network) is quite important to me as is customisation of how the standard HDR-FoxT2 acted. I'd be grateful for any pointers.............

Update - I've just found this in the HDR2000 section, http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/what-we-know-so-far.3740/ which explains the main differences between the standard units. Seems to me that the 2000 is a large step backwards on the Fox. I'm not really interested in Youview models so should I just wait for the next model to be released (FVP4000T)?

Last edited:
At least with the HDR-2000T you can use Foxy or similar to unprotect high def. recordings then, if you move them, after reindexing you can copy and decrypt using the DLNA server. We don't know how locked-down the new Freeview Play box is going to be. Is it known yet if it has a DLNA server?

I've just discussed the issue with an online retailer that looked as though they had stock. I was told that they don't expect delivery until October at the earliest and maybe not even this year!

Back