[network-shares-automount] package released

Nothing obvious that should make it crash - other than cosmetic things the main changes are calling of ether-wake and it does run more frequently (I reduced the time of the wait between each scan for quicker pickup of network status changes). I guess the question is will the crashes go away if you uninstall it?

Must admit that I am not surprised to hear that.
Once the recordings have finished (thank goodness for the +1 channels to get another go at the crashed recordings earlier), I will uninstall and see how things go from there.

Are you using the wake on lan functionality at all (eg wakeConstanty)? If not the changes since the last version should in fact be really minimal...

The CRASH - wait message appeared with the latest update of the multienv package so at least that must have changed on your box too. Do you have auto-upgrade enabled?

I have used the lastest package updated 1.4 without the wakeConstanty? And so far all seems fine no crash or crash-wait message.

@hairy_mutley Have you updated you zyxel NAS firmware as the latest has twonky and it HATES the humax (on mine and others it made it reboot when first turned on, every time). This needs to be turned off on the NAS or you need to turn off DLNA on the humax.
More information on this thread as its not just the twonky added to the NAS but the windows stand alone twonky too. Read post #18 http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/reboot-1-5-mins-after-startup-every-time.1726/#post-22643

The crash wait message as af123 says is new so I might not have had that message when I was having problems.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the feedback guys...

@Drutt
No I am not using wakeConstantly, so I wouldn't really have expected automount to be doing anything (it was just the only thing that I had changed).

@af123
That explains why I hadn't seen the message before (although with the un-modified display, I am generally not overly aware of what is no it).
I do not have auto-update turned on. I know that automount 1.4 was the only item in the update list on that occasion, mayby multienv had come in the previous day

@Tron
Yes I had noted that you had been discussing the update and not noted any problems.
Actually, I updated the NSA to the latest firmware at the same time. Hadn't expecte an update on one piece of equipment to affect another!
Thanks for that link. I will give it a readthrough.
In the mean time I will try rolling back my NSA firmware and put automount back on the Humax and see what happens.

As I said...
- Zyxel NSA-310 restored to previous software.
- network-shares-automount re-installed.
2 evenings of use and no crashes.
Looks like that confirms that it was the Zyxel upgrade that was the problem.

Glad you got it sorted, I thought it was the twonky update.

If you get NAS problems after you have changed the firmware You may have to do a 2 bleep reset on the NAS after a firmware change as on mine it ended up a mix of both firmwares old and new and it would not sort it self out untill I did a 2 bleep reset (info of how to do this in manual).

The reset just clears the password and ip address the contents stays still there.

But yours may be fine , and you may not needed it, but I spent ages with problems until I found this out

Hi I setup automount to mount a windows share from my blackberry playbook table which has been working great, I can copy files to the playbook via the webif or via humax tv remote.

However several times recently my humax appears to crash after a recording, it will not respond to tv remote or webif, and the unit stays on the channel it was on (if on) and will not power off or will not power on.

I know my router which it is connected to sometimes gets powered off by my wife at night, that shouldn't cause this should it ?

It may not be automount doing it, I have several other packages installed so need to start somewhere, I do not recall this before automount all the packages played happily together.

Anyone else experienced the same ?

I have autounprotect enabled, some folders set to auto shrink and dedup, the better ftp and also mediatomb still enabled.

Ill start by removing media tomb and probably removing automount and see how it goes for a week

Regards

Damian

Thank you so much! Great script - only just got around to installing (after my server died and had to be completely rebuilt from scratch!). Works great but every so often the video being played will pause. Does this mean it is a networking issue (fully wired, not wireless) or the HDR going into a sleep mode after a set period. I had auto mount script before (provided by users before this package became available) and did not have the same issue with that. Not a major issue. Happens from time to time, not with every file played.

I doubt there is any significant difference between then and now. Just to confirm, you are using the HDR-FOX to access content from another server on the network? Do the pauses occur in all types of content or only high bit-rate (HiDef)?

When I am playing content from my HDR-FOX on my HD-FOX, I get far better playback on HiDef using DLNA rather than virtual USB (automount). The way I explain that is DLNA knows the content is not local and has a decent sized buffer to get over temporary data rate drops, whereas the playback from virtual USB uses mechanisms which expect the content to be local and to have no issues with access speed (therefore not to need any buffering at all).

The only sleep mechanism I know of on the HD/HDR-FOX is the 3 hour standby (if enabled in the settings), which would turn it off not just freeze it.

I don't know if this is possible but I thought I'd ask anyway

Would it be possible for the 'network-shares-automount' to have a configuration option so that the hmi files are read/write but all other files are read only

The reason why I'm asking is because I have my Video folder on the NAS shared as read/write so that I can stop a video mid way through (this then writes a hmi file storing where it was last stopped) When I resume the video, it gives me the option to 'resume' from where it was last stopped

The problem with allowing read/write access to the NAS is that it is possible from the remote control to delete the files on the NAS and so because of this I am very wary about letting anyone else in the house use the share on the NAS

I can't think of a way to achieve this within the bounds of normal permissions. In my opinion it would take some special code to intercept all write traffic and only allow through writes to .hmi files. At present all the automount stuff just provides a convenient user interface to the normal Linux networking services.

However, what you could try is to manually make all the NAS files read only, then make *.hmi read/write.

Hi - just discovered that network-shares-automount doesn't appear to work with the latest (2.15) version of the custom firmware. I posted this in the thread for the new firmware:-

"Had an issue with network-shares-automount - I'm running the latest firmware and 2.14 custom firmware, and when I upgraded to 2.15 network-shares-automount stopped working, and I couldn't get it to work without dropping back to 2.14. A friend also has an HDR-FOX on the same Humax firmware and also on 2.14, and he had exactly the same problem as I did, and again, all was well when he returned to 2.14.
I'm not sure if the above is enough info to be going on with but I'll happily try anything if it helps to narrow the problem down.

Mick"

EDIT: af123 is having a look on the other thread.

Hi - just discovered that network-shares-automount doesn't appear to work with the latest (2.15) version of the custom firmware...

Can you expand on "doesn't appear to work" please, and are you using Samba or NFS or both?
I just tried it with an NFS mount under 2.15 and it is working but I'd like to replicate your setup as far as possible. If you're willing to go back to 2.15 to try this then the contents of the scanmounts.log file might provide a clue (although you may have to edit it to remove usernames and passwords).

Can you expand on "doesn't appear to work" please, and are you using Samba or NFS or both?
I just tried it with an NFS mount under 2.15 and it is working but I'd like to replicate your setup as far as possible. If you're willing to go back to 2.15 to try this then the contents of the scanmounts.log file might provide a clue (although you may have to edit it to remove usernames and passwords).
Hi - sorry, it was a bit vague... I'm using Samba, and connecting to a share on a server running WHS 2011. With 2.15 installed, within the '[Shares] Do Not Delete' folder there is the shared folder but nothing inside that.
I'm more than happy to try again, although it may be the weekend before I'll have the time.

Mick

New version of network-shares-automount available that works with CFW 2.15 (and still works with previous versions!)

Back