New BBC HD Channels

Does anyone know if the HDR-T2 will automatically suggest HD versions of programs on BBC3 and BBC4 like it does on BBC1 and BBC2?

Cheers
JT

If the BBC send the information the HD Fox-T2 will offer the alternative. Usually the BBC are good at this, compared to the commercial broadcasters.

Martin

If the BBC send the information the HD Fox-T2 will offer the alternative. Usually the BBC are good at this, compared to the commercial broadcasters.
As far as I am aware the current freeview+ spec states that for a receiver to stamp itself as freeview+ one of its features must be to be capable of flagging when an SD is also available in HD, but only where the broadcaster provides this information. I am not aware that terrestrial broadcasters who have a DTT broadcast licence have to offer that information in a suitable form.

Have the commercial DTT channels even experimenting with offering this information? It is not possible to compare the sending of this information by the BBC with the commercial channels unless the commercial channels also offer this information as there would be nothing to compare the BBC with.

In other words I can't understand the point you are making.:confused:

My point is:

Whilst you will reliably get HD alternatives on from the BBC, my experience with the commercial broadcasters is that often they fail to send the information and thus the alternative recording message will not appear.

The lack of the alternative HD recording when one obviously exists must not to be taken as a failure on the part of the Humax, which some users, without knowledge of the Freeview+ specification, may raise as a problem.

Martin

my experience with the commercial broadcasters is that often they fail to send the information and thus the alternative recording message will not appear.

How can they "fail" when they don't partake in that activity? The reason that they don't appear is that the sending of that information is voluntary and they have not volunteered.

I personally am pleased that the commercial channels do not take part in this activity which lengthens the reservation process. What would be nice would be if the freeview+ HD spec was changed to force freeview+HD manufacturers to provide an option where these 'reminders' could be turned off.

I can now understand where you are coming from.

You did not disagree with my answer to the question from jdtanner. You wanted to make the point that you find the HD recommendation functionality a waste of time and believe the User should have better control of optional data streams. You also disagree with my use of the word "fail" in my second post, which I agree, is an over-emphasis.

I agree that optional data streams should controllable by the User; I particularly dislike the "Programme Recommendation" functionality.

However, as regards the HD option, that is your opinion, but I like the functionality and, judging by jdtanner's post, he values it as well. Humax includes the functionality as a plus in its advertising: http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10116

HD Alternatives

If you are viewing a programme in standard definition or set a programme to record, and the same programme is available in High Definition you will be given the option to view or record in HD.
Recording Recommendations

When setting a recording, the broadcaster may suggest a similar programme that you might want to record
Green Button (also known as Trailer Booking)
Allows you to schedule a programme to record during a trailer (or preview) of a programme without having to search through the programme Guide. A“Book me” prompt will appear on screen and when the green button is pressed you can set the programme to record.
Note: The above Freeview+ HD features are available on channels where the correct and accurate data is being broadcast. Some channels may not support all of the Freeview+ HD services.

My concern, as I stated in my previous post, is that Users do not end up believing their box is not working properly when the HD alternative is not, or is intermittently, presented. Not everybody reads the small print and certainly not one where the words can be interpreted as that the HD Alternative and Recording Recommendation options form part of "correct and accurate data".

Martin

Back