Newbie Fixdisk stuck in loop

Tssoftware

I am a long time user of Humax and yesterday the Hard Disc crashed. I have now managed to run Fixdisk but it got stuck in a loop. I tried to exit with Ctrl+] but now I dont know what to do. Please help.
Tony

Attachments

• Putty Status.pdf
    272.8 KB · Views: 9
I am a long time user of Humax and yesterday the Hard Disc crashed. I have now managed to run Fixdisk but it got stuck in a loop. I tried to exit with Ctrl+] but now I dont know what to do.
I would sugggest turning the power to the Humax off. Then try running Fixdisc again.

Thanks again Martin. I had a bit of trouble getting Fixdisk started again but it has now been running for well over an hour. It successfully repaired a different sector after 5 minutes and then went back to running the short disk self test so I will leave it to continue.

General Feedback:
As someone that was new to all this yesterday I didn't realise that I couldn't connect with PuTTY until the custom firmware had been installed. That seems logical to me now but as someone with no experience in all this I got very stuck yesterday. I searched on the connection refused error message but that was no help. It would be good if the instructions on how to connect with PuTTY had a note included that this is only possible after the custom firmware has been installed.

As someone that was new to all this yesterday I didn't realise that I couldn't connect with PuTTY until the custom firmware had been installed. That seems logical to me now but as someone with no experience in all this I got very stuck yesterday. I searched on the connection refused error message but that was no help. It would be good if the instructions on how to connect with PuTTY had a note included that this is only possible after the custom firmware has been installed.
"
Telnet is one of the network protocols which can be used to gain command line interface (CLI) access to a Humax PVR running customised firmware.
Some versions of Windows come with a built-in telnet client and on others it is provided as an optional component. This client has several limitations however so it is recommended that you download the PuTTY Telnet Client.
"

These quotes are from https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet - you neglected to give your reference. I think it's pretty clear.

prpr,
Thank you - that page was exactly the one I used to guide me through how to use PuTTY and Telnet. It was clear and looking at it again I see that it the first sentence there is the one that you quote above. So my apologies - the note I was asking for is already there. I was simply trying to give feedback to help other people that could be as confused as I was, but it turns out that I hadn't understood what was there all the time.
Fixdisk is still running on my Humax and hasn't changed since my previous post, so fingers crossed that it will work.

After a few attempts at running Fixdisk and 40 hours on the final attempt it has now stated it was unsuccessful - please see the attached. The Humax is now showing the hard disc to be empty (it ws nearly full) and wants me to reformat via the Data Storage menu. I would rather not lose what is recorded as before the last run of Fixdisc the receording were still playable although I couldn't delete or record anything. What should I do? I can still get into maintenance mode.

Attachments

• Fixdisk 16 January 2024.pdf
    236.3 KB · Views: 3
I think your disk might have failed catastrophically.
You should have backed up your recordings first, before attempting this stuff.

OK, thank you for your reply - at least I know nothing can be done now. However all the notes that I read on this forum led me to believe that fixdisc would not make things worse, but in this case it has.

Fixdisk hasn't broken it any more than any other writes to the disk. It sounds like it was almost at breaking point, which is why you got the errors in the first place. Fixdisk can't fix broken hardware.

What is "this one"? Depends what capacity you want, how much you want to spend, and whether you are happy with used or want new.

Back