[newk] Automatically remove generic prefixes from series names.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
This is a simple package I've been using on my box for a while but, now that broadcasters are becoming more and more fond of adding things like "New: " to the start of programme names, I thought other people might appreciate it. I've polished up a bit and added a web configuration screen and I'll upload it to the repository shortly.

All it does is clean up the list of scheduled series recordings by removing a configurable list of prefixes from the start of entries in the schedule list so that you don't end up folders in your media list called 'New: The Walking Dead', 'New: Cowboy Builders', 'New: The Gadget Show'... you get the idea. You can of course already do this on a per entry basis through the web interface or RS but this automates the process.

newk.png

This might be my favourite package name yet : )

Maybe a useful addition would be for Newk to have a setting to select certain folders or an 'All' option, as it is at present. It would help with requests like the one HERE where only a 'Radio-recordings' folder would be processed, although I suppose prefixes will usually be unique anyway

I have been informed (in another thread HERE) that Newk will create a new folder with the prefix removed and place new recording into this new folder, Newk does not process series folders that already exist on the hard disk, I have changed the WiKi entry to reflect this info. HERE. Because of this new info. the request in #3 is meaningless, as Newk is only working one one folder anyway :oops:

For the first time since it was installed, Newk has failed to work for me. SWMBO asked me to record a new series for her. No problem, I used the EPG to set as usual.
The EPG listing clearly shows the programs description beginning with the words 'New:', however, Newk seems to have failed in it's task of removing the 'New:' when the folder was created. I have uploaded a screen shot of the offending entry in the EPG. Any idea why it appears to have failed this time?

EPG.jpg

You can see the two entries above have both been correctly identified and an appropriate folder name created.

FYI, I have not altered the default settings for Newk. They are identical to those posted by af123 in post #1 above.

I have manually created the required folder name via the WebIf

I wonder if newk is having a problem because it found a second ':' after the word 'Railway', just a guess

Is there a way to get the F1 recordings into a folder that isn't named after just one earlier race, the one after the time you set the series recording?

Was the Humax rebooted after you created the schedule entry? That's when newk does its work. I can't remember if there's a log file for newk but the xinit logs might provide a clue.

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

Is there a way to get the F1 recordings into a folder that isn't named after just one earlier race, the one after the time you set the series recording?
You should just be able to change the folder name for future recordings through the web interface.

Was the Humax rebooted after you created the schedule entry? That's when newk does its work. I can't remember if there's a log file for newk but the xinit logs might provide a clue.

I am pretty sure I did try a reboot. But cannot be 100% as was being nagged at by SWMBO for messing about.....AGAIN!

I installed newk, but there is no file created at /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/new.conf and xinit.log confirms it: "newk: No newk list."

Going into the Settings page and hitting Save without changing anything forces the file to be created.
Not providing the default file in the package seems like a bit of an oversight to me.

Not providing the default file in the package seems like a bit of an oversight to me.

newk 1.0.2 creates a default configuration file on installation if you don't already have one.

Thought I might enquire about a possible enhancement to Newk to counter the scenario described below...

On SWMBO's HDR, she often sets new scheduled series recordings from the EPG on the night that they are due to start. Given that no reboot happens prior to the recording, then the first recording that gets made still goes into the folder with the undesired prefix. Subsequent recordings get corrected as overnight reboots gives newk the chance to do its work. This means that you end up with series recordings spanning two folders, with the first recording in the 'prefix' folder, and all the rest in the corrected one.

Is there any way that when newk runs, it could check for the existence of 'incorrect' folder names (i.e. they start with any defined newk prefix AND at the same time a schedule entry exists that would make a recording in a similar but prefix-less folder) and automagically move the recording from the 'prefix' folder to the non-prefix one if this exists, or else make it at that point (since subsequent recordings will go there anyway) and perform the move?

Thanks af123. I'd imagine it would need to check the entire folder structure, since sweeper could have moved any newly created folders to a lower level than "My Video" already.

EDIT: Ignore this comment - I just read small print in wiki

Is newk working correctly.
I started recording Betrail on 5USA.
It appears in the recordings a "New_ Betrail..." (Space after the underscore).
I have added "New_" to the newk parameter list.
However, even though the hummy has been off and on a couple of times both the recording and the folder still have the prefix.

This was happening yesterday on 1.0.10 webif and still happening on the new version.
Newk is verion 1.0.3

Back