No more package updates for Custom Firmware 2.xx (after March 2015)

Can someone please explain to me what is supposed to be slow about the EPG on SW version 1.03.12. My old style (horizontal antenna connections) manager special T2 came with 1.03.11 but has subsequently upgraded to 1.03.12. I don't notice anything particularly slow about the EPG on my setup or any difference between 1.03.11 and 1.03.12.

You need to compare it with 1.02.32. I have not looked into it particularly, but there have been many complaints. Try scrolling across with the cursor pad.

grrr, dont know what i'm doing wrong??!!
was told to upgrade from
Web interface version: 1.2.1-6
Custom firmware version: 2.22 (build 1905)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_1.02.28)
so followed the link in this thread and downloaded the first file here
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.02.zip
it didnt need unzipping as already an hdf file
formatted my usual usb stick and copied the file into the root
switched humax off with the big button, waited for the click and orange light.
removed my hdd from rear usb and added the stick into the front
pressed the big button and after a while the tv came on as usual

repeated with the stick in rear usb, same result

found and formatted another usb stick (both of which i've previously used to update CFW)

same result

downloaded the older CFW HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_3.02.zip
again which didnt need unzipping, same result on both sticks

once the unit just frze on the humax screen and i had to switch off with the rocker switch

what the hell am i doing wrong, can a usb stick just stop working, i only bought and used both for this purpose

read something about preparing unit for upgrade, never done that before, how do i do that??

what will i lose if i dont upgrade as very happy with all the functions that CFW 2.22 gives me at present

You are just hitting the "persuade the USB flash drive to work" problem which has always been there, Wiki notes here :-

Some USB Flash / Disk Drives* are reported not to work, The reason for this is not fully understood, However the following Tips are known to help :-
  • Ensure no other USB devices are connected
  • Do not use a USB extender cable
  • Removing all other files / full-formatting can prevent file fragmentation
  • Try both USB ports (HDR)
  • Smaller capacity drives seem to work more successfully than large ones
  • Last Resort, Try a different USB Flash Drive

As far as the System Flush info., it is on the WiKi page where you would download the file from, e.g. :-
upload_2015-2-9_16-16-46.png

Last edited:
cheers ezra, but as i said i have used both sticks to upgrade in the past and they are not used for anything at all in the interim, just sit quietly in the dark in a drawer!

i have used both sticks to upgrade in the past
As stated the reasons why previously 'working' USB flash drive are now failing is not fully understood, however, even if nothing has changed with your flash device, the file that you are installing is of a different size, one theory is that if the file is fragmented (not contiguously written to the device) that the Humax can't cope with it

system flush info already seen, . . . and is it worth it?
If you want "to assist recover from crash/reboot loops and to clear everything out after running RMA mode" then Yes

If you want to install a new version of firmware, then No

Last edited:
What do you mean with all this "doesn't need unzipping" business? It definitely DOES need unzipping, so I don't know what you are actually doing, but it probably isn't the right thing.

Exactly what I was about to say. If you don't follow the instructions expect trouble, and if the instructions don't seem to correlate you're doing something wrong.

@bixieupnorth:

You should be using your browser's "save as"/"save target as"/"save link as" function to download the file, usually accessed by the right-click menu (different browsers call it different things). You will end up with a .zip file on your local drive, from where you have to unpack the actual update file within. The update file will be called hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf - that is what should end up at the root folder of your UPD, and the only thing the HDR-FOX will accept as a valid update file. Zipping the file means a more meaningful name can be used for the zip container file.

Last edited:
as usual i've been a dick and failed to follow exactly the instructions! i just saw that the file was already in hdf, or appeared to be, and then got nowhere obviously!! all seems to be updating now, sorry for wasting your time and thanks for your help !

Last edited:
(Now out of context due to the previous post being changed. Always worth quoting a post even in an immediate reply! Post 54 said something like "Is the best recommendation to get another UPD and hope for the best?")

No - the best recommendation is that you debug your download process. Let us know if it still isn't working after you figure out how to download the .zip file intact and then extract the .hdf file from it. Bear in mind that if you have a .zip file in your file explorer, it may well be presented as a folder, and when you click into the "folder" it may well show you the .hdf file - but that is still inside the .zip container and still needs to be extracted before it can be used as a firmware update file.

Last edited:
We could do with a new emoticon... standing in the corner with a dunce's hat on. :roflmao:

Last edited:
bixieupnorth : It isn't really fair to completely remove your original comment in #54, as it make a nonsense of the following answers, it also leaves you open to being miss quoted, 'usb stick'?

Back