Problem with program name "£100k House"

hairy_mutley

The series "£100k House: Tricks of the Trade" (BBC2 Tuesday at 20:00) seems to cause a few problems.
Browsing the directory/files...
In telnet they start $$100k
In the Web-IF and on the unit they start £100k (i.e. it is as expected)
In the RS they start 100k
When shared via samba and viewed in Windows Explorer
the directory shows as a folder with no name
and if the files are put somewhere accessible, they show as folders with no name!

Before I started experimenting with changing the name, the default series directory was shown as starting '£100k
At least, I think that it was, I will need to wait for next week's episode to try that out again.

Most of it is no big deal, although the samba could be a problem.
Is there any easy (?) way of dealing with the offending £ character automatically?

The series "£100k House: Tricks of the Trade" (BBC2 Tuesday at 20:00) seems to cause a few problems.
Most of it is no big deal, although the samba could be a problem.
Is there any easy (?) way of dealing with the offending £ character automatically?

I changed the auto-created name for the series folder to "100k House_Tricks of the Trade" in Web-if > Schedule >More >Change Folder.

Then I renamed the existing series folder to match.

Then I added a sweeper file to the series folder; the code reads:

# Re-name file name
filename £100k action {renamefile {100k House_Tricks of the Trade_%yyyymmdd_%hhmm}}

Which translates as "If filename contains "£100k" then rename recording files "100k House_Tricks of the Trade_date_time".

This removes the offending "£" from folders and file names and seems now to display OK on TV, on Web-if and in Samba. :)
HTH.

I think that if a file/folder name starts with a $ in Windows, it becomes hidden.

@DelftBlue the directory rename I had done, the file rename I hadn't, so thanks for that Sweeper rule.

@Trev I wasn't aware of that. Doesn't seem to be the case for me, but that may be just a matter of my Windows settings.
However, in this case, it starts with £, the $$ is just the way that the command-line/telnet/PuTTy interpret it.

Note that an embedded £ is less of a problem, Samba/Windows simply does not see the directory or file.

Back