Recmon

I'm was thinking this could be useful to confirm a recording has completed successfully - would be a great reassurance when on holiday.

If you have redring installed you can monitor the start and end of all recordings e.g.
Code:
[RR] Thu Feb 14 17:59:50 2013: Persistent log starting, v2.10
[RR] Thu Feb 14 19:05:05 2013: Recording start 46:'/mnt/hd2/My Video/Vicky Cristina Barcelona_20130214_1905.nts'
[RR] Thu Feb 14 19:05:05 2013:    Recording 1
[RR] Thu Feb 14 20:02:20 2013: Recording start 31:'/mnt/hd2/My Video/Horizon_ How Big is the Universe__20130214_2002.nts'
[RR] Thu Feb 14 20:02:20 2013:    Recording 2
[RR] Thu Feb 14 20:02:20 2013:    Changing to purple.
[RR] Thu Feb 14 20:59:54 2013: Recording end 46.
[RR] Thu Feb 14 20:59:54 2013:    Changing to red.
[RR] Thu Feb 14 21:01:26 2013: Recording start 38:'/mnt/hd2/My Video/The Genius of Invention/The Genius of Invention_20130214_2101.nts'
[RR] Thu Feb 14 21:01:26 2013:    Recording 2
[RR] Thu Feb 14 21:01:26 2013:    Changing to purple.
[RR] Thu Feb 14 21:02:35 2013: Recording end 31.

Had not thought of redring.

On my installation the redring log sits at 0 bytes though the ring color change works fine. Might try reinstalling to see if that gets the lgs started.

Can't see a way of seeing the redring log remotely (I.e, without direct access to te box but could possibly FTP it somewhere I could view)

Will have a play to see what I can do

I don't think you can monitor it remotely without arranging WAN access to the Humax, EP was on a flight of fancy.

Kevindickinson : On my installation the redring log sits at 0 bytes though the ring colour change works fine.

You could try Web-If >> Diagnostics >> fix-flash-packages
I don't think you can monitor it remotely without arranging WAN access to the Humax, EP was on a flight of fancy.

Do you fancy the results of recmon are any easier to read remotely than the redring.log?

O.K. I get it kevindickinson is on Holiday, but if he can remotely see the result from a recmon request, can't he also see the redring.log just as easily?

<sigh> He can't though, he was asking if recmon would enable him to - for which the answer is "no", not "here, try redring".

Something like this would do it. Almost trivial : )
(A real implementation would have more error checking etc.. I can easily add a package to provide this as an extension to rs)

Code:
humax# cat /mod/sbin/reclog
#!/bin/sh

/mod/bin/rs log "Recorded: $*"
humax# cat /mod/etc/init.d/S99reclog
#!/bin/sh

/mod/sbin/recmon /mod/sbin/reclog &

<sigh> He can't though, he was asking if recmon would enable him to - for which the answer is "no", not "here, try redring".

The answer isn't 'no' as you pointed out in #24
The answer is 'Yes' with WAN access and redring ! !

Hi,

I don't have WAN access and don't really want to open it up.

I've reinstalled redring so now have the logs

My thought was that recmon might be able to initiate an FTP transfer of the redring.log to a site on the Internet where I could view it.

Still thinking about the best option but basically to get recmon to initiate an outward message/transfer which could then be viewed on te public Internet without the need to have direct access to my home network.

I appreciate that setting up WAN access is not that easy or something you want to do, but as you was talking about interrogating your Humax remotely, I thought that maybe you had already set it up. It would equally take some effort to be able to transfer a file such as the redring log to a remote location and as af123 has said that he is looking into adding something to the RS server screens (in #29), that seems like your best chance of remotely having knowledge of recording activity

I'll add something to the next version of rs to report recordings as they complete..

Fantastic, an ad in to rs would be great

I played with FTP last night but Was homing to transfer to sky's tore but it does not up port FTP

Tried ssmtp but could not get it p work.

Think it's beyond my knowledge (and I'm an IT manager) so add in o rs would be perfect

I've just uploaded RS version 0.7.2. It uses recmon to send a log message to the RS server on completion of a recording. It does create some spurious log entries too when recordings are deleted, but I'll look at addressing that in the next version.

RS version 0.7.2. seem to be still displaying as 0.7.1 in the RS >> Settings after a few chanpush dispush reboots etc.

Yes, it will be.. I didn't bump the internal version number as I should have.
There will be more releases coming as I start to build in multi-region support.

I've just uploaded RS version 0.7.2. It uses recmon to send a log message to the RS server on completion of a recording. .
Where can you see the log? on the rs home page? How soon after the recording is the log message sent?

Where can you see the log? on the rs home page? How soon after the recording is the log message sent?

I'm afraid I haven't found the log display either, I did think I hadn't got the new RS version 0.7.2, hence the comment about 0.7.1 being displayed, which af123 explained

Back