Recording Encrypted and Decrypted?

Recorded Fanny: The Right to Rock from BBC FOUR HD [FreeView 106]
Fanny_ The Right to Rock_20230505_2100.ts

It won't play.

Web-IF is showing the green Dec icon alongside the brown Enc icon.

Is there anything I can do to remove the Dec flag and get it to play?

Web-IF is showing the green Dec icon alongside the brown Enc icon.
"Enc" does not mean it is encrypted, it means it is protected (normal SUI operations will play but not decrypt it). On the other hand, "Dec" means the encrypted flag is not set (ie the recording has been decrypted).

How it became to be like this is a matter of curiosity. It is possible the .ts was software-decrypted, which does not require the protection to be removed. If it was software-decrypted, the encrypted flag might not get cleared, which would leave the recording in a state where the HDR-FOX does not know what to do with it (but according to WebIF, the encrypted flag has been cleared).

Transfer the .ts to PC and try playing it – that should show whether the file is or is not encrypted.

Make a backup first, but if you remove and regenerate the sidecar files that might resolve the situation.

there was a firmware release to overcome it
As I said at the time, I was running 1.03.12 which, as we know, is effectively the latest from a basic functionality point of view.
So there hasn't been a firmware update relating to this. There may have been one prior relating to bad .nts file creation, but I do forget the details of that one.
is it of no curiosity that it seems to be back?
Possibly, but people don't post information like firmware versions or when they last retuned and sometimes it's not worth the bother of asking.

Back