Red Ring still getting things wrong, blue LED when in standby

Owen Smith

I keep coming home or downstairs in the morning and finding one of my HDR Fox T2s in standby but with a blue LED. I don' think they're half awake, the ethernet lights are off on the rear panel and the hard disc is not spinning. Also when I turn them on to fix this, the HDR Fox T2 goes through the full startup procedure.

This is a fairly recent release of Red Ring, no more than 2 weeks old since I updated all my packages two weeks ago. I'm running 1.03.12 with CF 2.23.

Yes, very infrequently the ring on mine stays blue when going into standby, instead of going red. Everything seems to be shut down OK and switching back on for a few seconds fixes it.

Like you, I have seen this first thing in the morning, but only once.

I thought I was imagining this the other day when I saw the blue light on, but obviously not. I have only recently switched to the customised firmware and Red Ring.

Mine was fully off too.

It may be pure coincidence but I recall that when I have had Blue-in-Standby, I have then found that Web-IF asks me to acknowledge Auto-Updated packages at the next power-up.

Regards, Mike.

Web interface version: 1.0.16-1
Custom firmware version: 3.00 (build 2137)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.00)

Ditto the same problem

Web interface version: 1.0.16-1
Custom firmware version: 3.00 (build 2137)
Humax Version: 1.02.32 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.00)

Our 'old' 1TB box does this rarely. Our 'new' graded 500GB box does it fairly often - every week or two.
Same software and CFW, the 'new' box has later bootloader (x.34 instead of x.33 IIRC).

Our 'old' 1TB box does this rarely. Our 'new' graded 500GB box does it fairly often - every week or two.
Same software and CFW, the 'new' box has later bootloader (x.34 instead of x.33 IIRC).

Murphy's Law rules - since writing that post the 1TB box has done it two nights running :dunno:

I've taken it off now as I have had the box lock up a couple of times.

The last time it happened it finished recording a programme then just wouldn't turn off so I left it and it was still awake the next morning. Had to switch it off to get it going again.

I wonder if some reconfiguration would help. I really want the front panel text adjustments, the ring is a bonus. Mayber turning off the ring stuff will fix it?

An odd one today - the ring didn't change from blue to red (as per my settings), when a recording started. I thought the recording had failed, but it is fine. The ring went red as normal for a second recording following on immediately afterwards on the same channel. I've not seen that before.

Hi all.

Both my boxes have occasional shown a blue ring when 0ff, rather than an orange ring.

As this 'problem' had already been report via this thread I decided to wait until it happened again before adding my comments.

Today it happened again on one of my boxes.

I checked them both this morning, before going out, and both were showing orange.

When I came back home one was now showing blue (I hadn't touched it) so I thought I would report it.

About an hour later I decided to report what happened but when I checked again the light had changed back to orange, without any help from me.

I haven' t set any recordings so no idea why this has happened but will be interest to know what is causing this behaviour.

It would be interesting to know if the affected box had 'woken up' for any reason prior to the ring colour change, as the problem usually occurs when trying to switch from blue back to amber (from on to standby), you could check the redring logs in Web-If >> Diagnostics >> View Log Files >> redring.log

Hi Ezra Pound.

Redring logs have not worked for many months but I will check later just in case it has started working again.

I have turned off ring colour changes in Red Ring. I am now only using it to change the display text, and it seems much more reliable at doing that. I miss the red ring when recording, but I'd rather have reliable behaviour.

Hi Owen

What problems did you have with the display text which you have fixed by turning off ring colour changes?

Sometimes showing a blue ring rather than an orange ring when on standby can be annoying, but IMO, not enough to turn off the colour changes in Red Ring.

I believe this will be looked into and fixed at some point when time permits.

Both my 'active' HDRs (Orange & Green) still regularly show the blue ring when in standby. I cannot find a pattern to it. Both boxes are set up with the same CF/FW versions and also have the same packages installed. To go a step further, each package is set up the same! It doesn't happen to both boxes at the same time either.

I am aware of the ring changing to blue prior to a recording taking place.

IMHO, the benefit of RedRing far outweighs this minor niggle. Functionally, RedRing works as it should, apart form the blue ring issue.

What problems did you have with the display text which you have fixed by turning off ring colour changes?
Redring has quite a few functions, full list HERE, I'm guessing Owen had the 'ring' options and the 'display' options enabled, they are not linked to each other. As he found the 'ring' options unpredictable, he has disabled them, leaving the display options still in place

Back