Redring - development and beta testing.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
By default, the only visible indication that a recording is in progress in standby is a very small and dim REC icon on the front screen and even that doesn't appear if you have power saving turned on. It has been a commonly requested feature to be able to see when a recording is in progress. I've read that early versions of the firmware did change the LED ring colour when recording in standby but that this was subsequently removed.

The redring package changes the behaviour of the LED ring in three ways:
  • when the box is in standby but waiting for a recording to begin (AR mode), the ring will change to blue colour, just as when the box is on normally (the LCD screen will remain showing a clock or blank depending on your power saving setting);
  • when the box is in standby and recording, the ring will change to a bright red colour, just as it would were the box fully powered up;
  • when the box is recording two programmes, the ring will change to a purple colour.
This is a test release which still has some known bugs:
  • Sometimes playing back a recording is interpreted as a recording and the ring turns red;
  • A race condition in putting the box into standby can result in the ring going blue while the box is off;
  • This package can occasionally cause failure to wake up for recordings.

Flashing red blinking away there under the telly would be annoying wouldn't it? Or is that just me?
That's just you.;) I already have a flashing Orange light on my Toppy's to indicate when they are dual recording.

My Orange ring has just gone Blue ready for a recording at 3:00pm, this is exciting stuff.:D

OK put my 'free thinking' hat on (instead of my usual underpants headwear - wibble!)

What about an option to gently cycle through the colour options like a little circular mood light??? (That's only a half serious suggestion although af123 if you're in the mood to show off????? ;))

Or a way to give more than a 1 minute warning that the 4 hour inactivity thingy is approaching?

How many LEDs make up the circle? Could we get it spinning clockwise or anticlockwise to tell us something useful? (Like Murdochs box but without the risk of being tapped!!)

How many permutations can we work with? Could we have more than one colour on the ring at the same time as well as solid red/blue/orange/purple??

My Orange ring has just gone Blue ready for a recording at 3:00pm, this is exciting stuff.:D

Hmmmm orange ring eh? My 'double entendre' nerve is starting to twitch. You can't beat a good "dooble" - I always like to 'slip one in' whenever I get a chance!!!!

Hmmmm orange ring eh? My 'double entendre' nerve is starting to twitch. You can't beat a good "dooble" - I always like to 'slip one in' whenever I get a chance!!!!
Well, my formerly Orange ring that turned Blue as expected, is still Blue even after the programme has started recording (confirmed by the "REC" indicator on the display), it has not gone Red as expected.:(

Well, my formerly Orange ring that turned Blue as expected, is still Blue even after the programme has started recording (confirmed by the "REC" indicator on the display), it has not gone Red as expected.:(
:frantic:Sorry can't resist, when you out it like that!

I think this will be very popular, I resume it is possible to distinguish between AR dim 12.5% blue and Awake (Normal) Blue

when the box is in standby but waiting for a recording to begin (AR mode), the ring will change to a dim blue colour (currently 12.5% brightness);

I knew there was a reason I uploaded it as version 0.9 : ) I've tested various scenarios and it's always worked but I'll do some more testing. I have an idea where the problem may be.

I think this will be very popular, I resume it is possible to distinguish between AR dim 12.5% blue and Awake (Normal) Blue
Yes, the AR dim Blue is not as bright as the Awake Blue, also when in AR you have the clock displayed (unless you use Low Power Standby).

Back