Retune HDRFOX-T2 Remotely Using Telnet/CLI

phit03

I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I'll ask anyway just in case.

Since the recent channel changes for SKY Mix/Sky Arts I no longer have access to SKY Arts. I'm not in the UK at the moment so can't retune via the box using it's remote control.
I had hoped that Tunefix might be able to handle the changes (I have package auto-update turned on so it's up o date).
Anyone know whether it's possible via Telnet/CLI?
I have remote control access to a PC in the UK that's on the same local network so can telnet into the HDRFOX-T2 to get CLI access.

If you have access to the webif...
Install the boot-settings and ir packages if not already installed.
In the settings for boot-settings, add parameter 'Menu Focus' set to 'Settings', click on 'Save Settings'.
Reboot
When booted, from the telnet command line (assuming a pin of 0000):
Code:
ir MENU OK DOWN DOWN OK 0 0 0 0 OK
or use the 'Remote' in the webif to enter the above ir commands.
Wait a few minutes for it to perform the scan, then use ir OK to save the channels.

Edit: Corrected the 'ir' command by appending 'OK'

Last edited:
You left out an "OK". It should be:

Code:
ir MENU OK DOWN DOWN OK <pin as separate digits> OK

---wait 10 mins---

ir OK

...but this is all by blind "dead reckoning" from the default post-boot situation so if anything doesn't take, you won't know and the menu system will be all to cock. If you don't wait long enough for the scan, the "OK" will abort the scan and ask if you want to save or abandon the scan so far, the latter resulting in no saves services at all. Is the risk worth it just to regain Sky Arts until you get back?

I had hoped that Tunefix might be able to handle the changes (I have package auto-update turned on so it's up o date).
It's the tunefix-update package which handles than kind of thing, not tunefix nor auto-update.

Last edited:

Code:

---wait 10 mins---

ir OK

...but this is all by blind "dead reckoning" from the default post-boot situation so if anything doesn't take, you won't know and the menu system will be all to cock. If you don't wait long enough for the scan, the "OK" will abort the scan and ask if you want to save or abandon the scan so far, the latter resulting in no saves services at all. Is the risk worth it just to regain Sky Arts until you get back?

It's the tunefix-update package which handles than kind of thing, not tunefix nor auto-update.
It should be possible to install the tunefix-update package from a telnet command line
opkg install tunefix-update
Easier than using ir blind

It should be possible to install the tunefix-update package from a telnet command line
opkg install tunefix-update
Easier than using ir blind
So far as I know, tunefix-update will only manipulate an existing configuration to keep it synced. Will it work retroactively (ie after a configuration has already become out of sync)?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I'll ask anyway just in case.
You're pretty wrong! I asked this over 8 years ago (this was before tunefix, and one of the things that prompted me to write it).
Since the recent channel changes for SKY Mix/Sky Arts I no longer have access to SKY Arts.
Why not? It was only an LCN/name change. They'll still be there on 11/36 as they were before.
I had hoped that Tunefix might be able to handle the changes
tunefix-update is the one you need(ed).
Anyone know whether it's possible via Telnet/CLI?
See https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/remote-auto-retune.6385/
So far as I know, tunefix-update will only manipulate an existing configuration to keep it synced.
Installing it now would result in it attempting to apply the latest update. This may or may not generate the desired results, depending on the unknown starting point.
Will it work retroactively
Yes, or possibly, and you can always install the previous releases manually, but it's generally easier to start again unless you know exactly when your tuning configuration dates from.

Why not? It was only an LCN/name change. They'll still be there on 11/36 as they were before.
I was thinking the same. Sky Mix is just (what was) Pick, and without a retune Sky Arts is still available on 11 with Mix on 36.

Oohh... I had forgotten all about that. Is diag force-retune still a thing?

Something the OP might not have considered is that the retune will wipe his recording schedule and it will need reinstating. There are several ways to do that of course.

Is diag force-retune still a thing?
Yes. I checked last night and all the components appear to be downloadable. I haven't actually tried running it. Maybe I will. I might even try retuning the right box this time...

I'm trying it now:

Code:
HDRFOX3# diag force-retune                                                                        
Running: force-retune                                                                            
The Humax should prompt for a retune on next boot.                                                
Make sure disable-dso is not installed though.                                                    
HDRFOX3# reboot

I then lost the session because I was running it in webshell.

Anyway, nothing happened because I have disable-dso installed, clearly this works by triggering the network-induced retune.

(And having provoked a retune yesterday, I was wondering why auto-schedule-restore hadn't kicked in – not installed!)

Last edited:
Since the recent channel changes for SKY Mix/Sky Arts I no longer have access to SKY Arts. I'm not in the UK at the moment so can't retune via the box using it's remote control.
As the change to Sky Arts' LCN would not be a reason for not be able to access Sky Arts, its not clear what your issue is.

In what way can you no longer access Sky Arts remotely where you could before?

I tried it again after uninstalling disable-dso and nothing happened.
It worked for me:
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  63488 Mon 23 Oct 2023 13:52:46 channel-old.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 128000 Fri 10 Nov 2023 12:35:31 channel.db
and I've got loads of duplicate channels from various transmitters.

Code:
Corrected now.
Assuming access to the webif is available, It should be possible to check the 'Mux Info' in the diagnostics page.
If it is empty then the scan will have been aborted.

Back