Retune now constant reboot

kevindickinson

Oh dear I'm not Mr Popular in our house at the moment - can anyone help?

Just done a retune and channel renumber and backup of recordings did not work. I've had problems with Channel renumbering before but not with recordings. I've seen in other posts that others have had this problem recently.

Anyway that's not my main issue.

My logic was I'd not retuned correctly so I did an auto retune then deleted the channels over 800 and rebooted.

Now when I turn on the box comes on for about 5 seconds then reboots and repeats this.

I've tried switching off at the back but when I switch on again it just restarts the reboot cycle.

Any ideas?

My thoughts at this point are to try maintenance mode (though not sure what) or reinstall the firmware?

If you have not added anything new to your network e.g. a NAS device something running Twonky ver 7, or Power DVD ver 11 / 12, one likely subject is a failed recording, check through your Media Files for a file that won't play (maybe flagged with a lightening bolt icon) as these files sometimes cause the Humax to re-start

My problem is just getting the box up.

5 seconds after switching on it reboots then comes back up then reboots ad infinitum

So I don't actually get a chance to go into the menu or webif before it reboots

Further update

Just noticed that after reboot the LCD display says "schedule restored" 3 times followed by "rebooting"

I'm running 1.03.06 with latest CF

I'm thinking something is going wrong with te auto restore package so if I could stop that I'd be ok?

Maybe reinstalling firmware from USB?

There are three possible solutions:
  • Try to get it into maintenance mode in the 5 seconds available. This is probably the best bet.
  • Install a package from USB to disable the auto-schedule-restore package. I don't think this will work because it will startup the auto-restore-schedule package before looking for packages on the USB stick.
  • Install a special version of CF. This will work but is a bit more involved.
Edit: Expanded into list format

Excellent! Choose the 'cli' option from the menu and then type the following:
Code:
opkg remove auto-schedule-restore
Then type 'reboot' if the above produced no errors.

• Install a package from USB to disable the auto-schedule-restore package. I don't think this will work because it will startup the auto-restore-schedule package before looking for packages on the USB stick.

I think that will be okay because the schedule restore is triggered from RAG after the disk is mounted and the USB disk is likely hotplugged first..

This is a bug in the schedule auto restore package though. I suspect that the automatic backup file that it's trying to restore is empty so it ends up with an empty schedule after the restore then tries to restore again on the next boot.

P.s. I think Af123 may be correct with reason as saw something in the logs about restore of 0 bytes

Will be able to check better once box is back up (hopefully)

That worked - I have one happy wife again!

Thank you both for the help

Any info I can gather from my box which might diagnose the cause

I think I'm probably save to do a manual restore of recordings?

A manual restore should be fine. I will push out an update to the auto schedule restore package too before this bites anyone else!

Ok - this might help with the root cause

Just done a manual restore
Favorites came back ok
But no scheduled recordings
If I view the backup in webif it shows the recordings

On restore it displays

Restoring The Jonathan Ross Show
No change in channel service
Restoring Click
No change in channel service

And repeats this for every recording but after reboot no recordings showing

I'm suspecting it's something to do with the retune I did and te recording channel info not matching so I end up with an empty recording schedule which then caused the rebooting

Not really an issue as I can see the recordings I had in the backup and manually re enter them but just trying to work out exactly what has happened.

It must have put the recordings into the pending list then but then failed to move them over on the reboot. That's odd and I don't yet understand why it didn't work.

I had a wake up at 5am and a sleep at 5:15

The sleep got scheduled but not the wake up

The humax 4:30 auto update also came back

Can't figure it out myself but have manually entered all recordings by viewing the backup then re entering them manually so I'm back to where I was.

I had done some extensive renumbering of channels (which made sense to me but not my wife) using the renumber package which did not come back after retune but not sure if thats relevant. I've lost the renumbering on previous retunes but not had any issues with restore of recordings so don't think it is related.

Excellent service many thanks for the help tonight

Better than most software houses - could you see Microsoft fixing a bug that quickly?

Thanks from my happy wife also!

Back