[rs] Remote Scheduling v1

I've had a problem with RS over the past few days in that it isn't updating Disk Contents on the RS site:
Do you have auto-update installed? If so, try updating all of your packages by hand - there could be a conflict there which I'll look at.

Your browser thinks you are browsing with an invalid SSL certificate, this can happen if the time/date on your PC is incorrect or because the browser thinks something has changed, you may get a warning message and an 'OK to precede' prompt

Am I using the correct rs website? If yes, what's with the crossed out https? This is Chrome browser.

The adverts are delivered by http. IE8 asks me if I want to view only the content that was sent securely. My iPad just doesn't display the padlock for the site.

Hmm, my disc contents last updated on the RS portsl on Tuesday at 04:23. I definitely watched and deleted some stuff on Tuesday evening, so it should have caught up with that by now.

The adverts are delivered by http. IE8 asks me if I want to view only the content that was sent securely. My iPad just doesn't display the padlock for the site.

The disc contents, Guide and Settings pages don't have adverts, those do display the padlock on my iPad. The https may not be crossed out on those pages for the original poster.

Do you have auto-update installed? If so, try updating all of your packages by hand - there could be a conflict there which I'll look at.

Yes, I do have auto-update installed. All packages show up to date except web-if which I have now updated. I noticed that rs.log wasn't actually being written to after a reboot, so I deleted it. Now after a reboot, it has recreated but is blank. I'll see what happens tonight.

Your browser thinks you are browsing with an invalid SSL certificate, this can happen if the time/date on your PC is incorrect or because the browser thinks something has changed, you may get a warning message and an 'OK to precede' prompt

It was just a matter of close/open chrome and https is fine now.

Alas my experience of the new permanent log-in has gone the other way. I'm running Safari on multiple machine's configured to not execute scripts and I'm often having to enter both ID & password. I also nuke ever-cookies from time to time but assume that this isn't responsible.

No, I've seen some similar behaviour. I need to find time to look at it again.

I believe I have fixed the 'stay logged in' behaviour. It works by setting a secure cookie in your browser called 'rsauth' with a 30 day expiry so you will have to log in once every 30 days. The terms of use already cover cookies so no change there.

I can't see the rs site via either http://rs.hpkg.tv/ or http://rs.hummypkg.org.uk/

As no-one else has reported this, I am assuming it is just me, and something to do with the internet set-up I am using. Or is it?

I had problems with network-automount failing recently which I traced back to newly upgraded firewall/anti-virus software (had to enable ICMP?) Is it possible that the inability to see the rs site is also a product of firewall settings?

Thank you Wallace and prpr for your replies.

I tried both URLs with https instead and then disabled firewall - but still cannot connect to the rs site.
I yet haven't tried with disabled firewall and completely restarted system though, so I guess that's the next option.
I am also trawling through the firewall logs to see what I can see.

(It was studying the firewall log that helped me to fix the failure of network-automount, the block resulted from rule 0 and 8 of ICMPv4, so enabling echo requests and replies allowed the Humax to connect again to the network share again - I don't know if this was safe to do - but it worked)

Having had great success with the Hummy Remote Scheduling package I installed it on a friends HDR T2. At the same time I installed the 'Power on Channel' package and set it to Radio 2. The 'Disable OTA' and 'Disable DSO packages are also installed. This was about a week ago.

Since then some odd things have been happening.

1. Whilst watching an on air program in the (very) early hours she dozed off but woke up just before an OTA would normally have been done. A message appeared on screen asking if she wanted to change channel and she was quick enough to answer 'No'. However some 10 minutes later the T2 changed channel anyway and as a result she lost the buffered program and had to resort to iPlayer the following evening.

2. At the bottom of the schedule list are 2 unusual events. The first one is BBC1 and the program description is shown as --- Wake up ---. The start time is always the following day at 04:00 but the duration is --:--:--. The mode column shows a green triangle and a '7'

The next (and last scheduled event) has no channel information, the program description shows --- Sleep --- and is always the next day at 04:15. The mode column shows a red button and a '7'

I 'think' it's obvious what's happening. The T2 is waking up every day at 04:00 and changing to BBC1 then shutting down 15 minutes later. This seems odd as the Disable OTA is going to wake it up at 04:20 and then shut down 20 minutes later. How did these schedules get there, it can't be the wake up channel as that's set to BBC Radio 2? As far as I can ascertain, both our T2's are set up identically but these last two schedules aren't in my schedule list. Can they safely be deleted?

3. A few days later I went over to copy a 2 hour SD film to her T2 (that I had recorded on mine), and checked it would play and everything was fine. The day after I got a phone call saying that the complete series of 'The Tomorrow Peoples' folder was empty. There should have been 8 episodes in it. They were there a few days before.

This morning when I accessed my T2 via my laptop I got the usual 'acknowledge' notice of an update to the webif to "1.0.13-2 (enhance auto-expiry options)"

Could this have anything to do with the 'trashing' of the 'Tomorrow's People' files?

In mitigation I have to say her HDD was rather full with the used space reported as 82% after I had copied the 2 hour film to it.

I apologise for the verbosity of this post but I wanted to give as much information as I could.

Does your friend have 'Timer on / Timer off' set on her Humax? e.g. Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Time >>

Power On Timer = 4:00
Channel = BBC1
Volume = [any]
Repeat = Daily
Power Off Timer = 04:15

As the above would explain what you see, If so set the first and last to 'Off'

Also a 'Reminder' set up as above would have the same effect, e.g. Guide >> Schedule (Yellow) >> New Reservation

Are the 'Tomorrow's People' files held in a folder that has Auto-expire set against it?

Whilst watching an on air program in the (very) early hours she dozed off but woke up just before an OTA would normally have been done. A message appeared on screen asking if she wanted to change channel and she was quick enough to answer 'No'. However some 10 minutes later the T2 changed channel anyway and as a result she lost the buffered program and had to resort to iPlayer the following evening.
The housekeeping activities occur around 0430 to minimise the likelihood of inconveniencing anyone, and a normal OTA schedule would not inconvenience your friend either - but the OTA defeat has to be more forceful and cannot be retimed. You could discard the reminder and rely on the (not quite totally reliable) non-reminder version instead by an option on the WebIF Settings page.

You do know that the buffer is a maximum of two hours long?

Thank you Ezra. That's one problem solved, the Timer on/off was set as you described. Neither of us had set it so perhaps it's a default. The Tomorrow People folder doesn't have an 'Auto Expire' set, the two fields are blank so that still remains a mystery. As I said, the HDD was getting near capacity, perhaps the Humax standard firmware has a similar (hidden) function that deletes stuff to make room for more recordings. All is not lost though as I have the complete series (so far) on my T2 and have uploaded them for her.

Black Hole.
Yes, I did know the buffer is two hours long but my point was that as the T2 changed channel, the buffer was cleared.

Thanks both for your useful help.

Back