[rs] SSL certificate updated

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I've replaced the SSL certificate used on the RS web site and API service with a new one that uses an SHA256 signature algorithm. The new certificate lasts until 2019. I've also renewed the domain name until 2017. Will any of us still be using these boxes by then I wonder?

I don't expect people to see any problems but you never know...

The new certificate lasts until 2019. I've also renewed the domain name until 2017. Will any of us still be using these boxes by then I wonder?
I hope so. Like a number of others, I have spare machines and parts so unless they change the broadcast standards I intend to keep using the HDR-FOX. In some ways the HDR-2000T is a step backwards and the increased security which has prevented custom firmware for this model leaves it at a disadvantage to the HDR-FOX with custom firmware.

I hope so. Like a number of others, I have spare machines and parts so unless they change the broadcast standards I intend to keep using the HDR-FOX. In some ways the HDR-2000T is a step backwards and the increased security which has prevented custom firmware for this model leaves it at a disadvantage to the HDR-FOX with custom firmware.
Couldn't agree more.

I use a six year old GPS unit and my DVD recorder is even older, I don't see the need to keep up with the bleeding edge of technology.

As long as it keeps working I see no reason to replace my Humax any time in the foreseeable future and hope to be reminding you to renew the certificate in 2019!

Whilst I would not expect anyone will implement decrypting are there manufacturers who implemented any of the other extremely useful features which af has spoiled us with?

The new certificate lasts until 2019. I've also renewed the domain name until 2017. Will any of us still be using these boxes by then I wonder?

I expect to be using this box until the broadcast standard dictates otherwise.

Whilst I would not expect anyone will implement decrypting are there manufacturers who implemented any of the other extremely useful features which af has spoiled us with?
The VBox looks interesting (see here). It comes in Freeview and Freesat versions, has built in network sharing (SMB/ CIFS), can record to a NAS and will stream live TV on a wireless network. Though it looks like you are limited to 2 or 4 simultaneous users (depending on which version you buy). It seems that the streams are not encrypted. I presume that it has a proprietary EPG, so if this service folded, you would be left without a guide and unable to schedule recordings. I have a Digifusion FVRT200 in a cupboard somewhere so I know how irritating this can be.

Likewise, although the 14-day EPG was nice (unlike "that background")
It was a shame that there was no option to switch to the standard Freeview guide. After the Digifusion EPG disappeared I bought my first HDR-FOX: every cloud has a silver lining.

It was a shame that there was no option to switch to the standard Freeview guide. After the Digifusion EPG disappeared I bought my first HDR-FOX: every cloud has a silver lining.
It was a monolithic ST20 software image. Not much we could do to customise it, although that didn't stop us trying! I persisted with mine for a while then bought an HDR-Fox too.

The VBox looks interesting (see here). I presume that it has a proprietary EPG, so if this service folded, you would be left without a guide and unable to schedule recordings.
There seems to be interfacing information available, so presumably you could roll your own somehow.
Is that a Maplin £89.99 special I see? Look away prpr!
I'm over it. I wonder if they cancelled the paper version of the refund voucher they sent me? They were so incompetent they might not have done. Not that I'm particularly interested in purchasing anything of any significant value from them again.

I hope you have uprated your home security. On a serious note, do you consider it necessary to keep your stashed units in 'working order'? Do you consider there's a need either to rotate them occasionally with the current working unit, or at least to fire them up for a few hours just to allow any working parts to move (I guess that's only the HDD - not like the old vcr!), and to stop electrolytic capacitors from failing (drying out?), or is such 'maintenance' thought unnecessary nowadays? I imagine this sort of question could stir up a lot of different opinions, but without any objective research into it, it's probably down to personal preference and hoping for the best.

Having replaced my failed Foxsat with one from ebay, and fortuitously also buying a new Fox T2 HDR with the proceeds of a refund from the retailer, I'm now all the more determined to similarly create a cache before it's too late. I expect these forums will be just as busy long after 2017 is a historical footnote.

And, once again, thank you for everything you've done, and continue to do, for all of us faithful worshipers.

Martin

I don't think putting volts on a capacitor stops it drying out! I also have a unit in storage.

Storage of spares is a tricky subject. Failure in storage is a significant problem: data retention in non-volatile data areas (including programmable logic devices); migration/recrystallisation of conductive elements - particularly due to lead-free solder technology; seizing or deterioration of mechanical parts such as rubber belts, bearings, or other metal-to-metal contact areas (particularly dissimilar metals); general deterioration of electronic components.

In general though, it is less stressful to keep a spare in storage than to keep getting it out to check it over, although you might do this if your job was to monitor the serviceability of spares and repair or replace them if necessary. Under our circumstances, there is little to be gained by knowing that the spare isn't working in advance of needing it.

I don't think putting volts on a capacitor stops it drying out! I also have a unit in storage.

Storage of spares is a tricky subject. Failure in storage is a significant problem: data retention in non-volatile data areas (including programmable logic devices); migration/recrystallisation of conductive elements - particularly due to lead-free solder technology; seizing or deterioration of mechanical parts such as rubber belts, bearings, or other metal-to-metal contact areas (particularly dissimilar metals); general deterioration of electronic components.

In general though, it is less stressful to keep a spare in storage than to keep getting it out to check it over, although you might do this if your job was to monitor the serviceability of spares and repair or replace them if necessary. Under our circumstances, there is little to be gained by knowing that the spare isn't working in advance of needing it.

And - setting aside electricity costs - I assume nothing at all to be gained by keeping it in Standby until needed? Taking things to extremes, I guess, even if there was some benefit.

(1 watt in standby? 1 kW-hr in around 40 days.)

Martin

The VBox looks interesting. It comes in Freeview and Freesat versions, has built in network sharing (SMB/ CIFS), can record to a NAS and will stream live TV on a wireless network. Though it looks like you are limited to 2 or 4 simultaneous users (depending on which version you buy). It seems that the streams are not encrypted. I presume that it has a proprietary EPG, so if this service folded, you would be left without a guide and unable to schedule recordings. I have a Digifusion FVRT200 in a cupboard somewhere so I know how irritating this can be.

Thank you @MontysEvilTwin for sharing this product, I've been looking for a good PVR and a way to bring TV reception to my bedroom,
I've contacted the manufacturer they say that the EPG is collected from the DVB TS (Freeview broadcast) so it is free and independent

@TVGrrr: If you buy one let us know what it is like. I have only read about this model, I've not seen it in action. I don't think it comes with a hard drive: you can either record to a networked drive (NAS etc.) or a local USB drive. It would be interesting to find out how well it plays with the HD and HDR-FOX. You should be able to mount the recording location on a HD/ HDR-FOX. I wonder if the recordings play with full transport controls?

Back