Samba Help Required

Geoff

May I throw this issue in here please, I beleive it is somewhat related to this thread?
I have installed Samba onto my hdr fox t2 hoping that it will enable me to view my Iomegs 1tb ntfs usb hard drive connected to the usb port on my bt home hub 2.0. Is it possible to do this and if so how do I configure Samba?
Currently when I connect my hard drive to the home hub it completely disables the network?

Thanks
geoff

I've not tried to track down that other thread yet...

However, what I replied to a very similar query is that I believe the USB on the home hub merely provides a remote USB for appropriate driver software on a Windows PC to be able to access as if it were a local USB. As such you would not be able to connect to it as network storage unless your PC was on and set to share that USB storage on the network. The home hub is not able to network-share that port by Samba or any other standard NAS interface, only the USB extension driver provided by BT.

I do not understand why plugging in a hard drive kills your network, but offer two ideas: something wrong with the home hub that a reboot might fix; the hard drive is drawing too much power from the USB port.

Many Home hubs allow you to share a Fat32 formatted drive over the network from 192.168.1.253 (the default hub default address is 192.168.1.254). There should also be a BT workgroup in the Network Neighbourhood which you can use to browse to the share.

You should not need any fancy drivers top do this.

If your power supply is getting a bit old and your hard drive has a heavy power drain it could result in the hub having problems - try to get the feature working with a memory stick first, or see if you can find an external power supply for the drive.

May I throw this issue in here please, I beleive it is somewhat related to this thread?
I have installed Samba onto my hdr fox t2 hoping that it will enable me to view my Iomegs 1tb ntfs usb hard drive connected to the usb port on my bt home hub 2.0. Is it possible to do this and if so how do I configure Samba?
Currently when I connect my hard drive to the home hub it completely disables the network?

Thanks
geoff
I now know that the Samba package would not do what the original poster wanted even if his home hub was up and running. Samba is the slave service, meaning it enables the local drives to be seen on the network, and it does not provide the master service required to actually see network drives. For that you need CIFS.

Back