Southern Electric have made my HDR crash!

Shaggy

Southern Electric - bless 'em - have sabotaged my poor Hummy!

As we were turning in for the night, the power went off, and then on 30s or so later. The Hummy, which had been shut down before the outage, began it's boot-up cycle in preparation for putting itself into standby. Part way through this cycle, the power went off again for another 30s. Once again, the HDR then went through it's boot-up cycle, set the clock itself, and put itself into standby. Expecting more outages overnight, I then switched the unit off at the back so as to avoid possible problems.

Since then, whenever the unit is brought out of standby, within seconds it brings up the message 'CRASH - wait' on the display, reboots, and then appears to work perfectly until put into standby again. The next time it's brought out of standby, the process repeats - boot up, then crash, then reboot, then appears OK. Scheduled recordings made while the unit was already powered on appear to work fine, but I don't know yet whether the schedule would automatically bring the unit out of standby successfully (will test today).

I've run the 'general' diagnostic test, and all tests pass. I've looked through the Wiki at the other diagnostic commands available, but am unsure of where to go next. Any advice please?

Edit: running 1.02.20 with CF 2.13

(PS - I won't be online again for the rest of today, so probably won't be able to respond until tomorrow!)

I'd flash it to CFW2.14 then run the fix-disk process. Probably just some file system corruption.

Thanks for the advice. I flashed it this morning to CF2.14 and ran fix-disk, but after a reboot, the behaviour was unchanged. So I reflashed 1.02.20, followed by CF2.14 and then fix-disk, and again there is no change: it still crashes after 30-60s and reboots itself, after which it appears OK until next put into standby.

If reinstalling both the standard and customised firmware hasn't overwritten the corruption, what else could be causing this behaviour?

Do you have any external networked DLNA servers? You might also try rebuilding the internal DLNA index: in the Humax menus turn off content sharing, then in the WebIF >> Diagnostics >> DLNA Server >> Reset DLNA Database, then test your reboots and re-enable content sharing.

For the possible avoidance of future similar problems plug the kit in via a surge suppressor.

Rebuilding the DLNA database seems to have fixed it! I guess this fits in with the timing of the crash, if the DLNA process only gets going once the main processes are up and running. Thanks both for your help, much appreciated - I'd already resorted to checking when the extended warranty runs out, just in case, but am glad not to need it.

For the possible avoidance of future similar problems plug the kit in via a surge suppressor.

Already fitted, but obviously not effective in this case. I have previously considered a small UPS for the NAS units I have, might have a trawl to see if there are any low cost options, but last time I looked, they were pretty pricy. But as the power failed yet again last night, it would be a lot less hassle than trying to recover the HDR and 3 QNAPs if they all had problems.

I have been using a Cyber Power DX800VA for a few months to protect some small systems see http://www.ebuyer.com/204790-cyberpower-dx-800e-greenpower-ups-dx800e The battery endurance isn't fantastic but the price, size and weight was right for me.
Looks good. This exact model isn't supported by QNAP for the NAS units I have, but lots of other Cyberpower models are. After a 6-hour outage during the day on Sunday (right after my last post), I looked into them and a ~£70 APC unit caught my eye. I'm not too concerned about battery duration, so long as it's enough for a controlled shutdown (and if I'm around, so I can switch off the Humax manually). SNMP would be ideal (to trigger the shutdown of >1 NAS), but it adds a lot to the price.

Off-topic, I know - at least the Humax survived the last outage (we had about 7 last week altogether), hopefully now the cause of the outages has been fixed!

This reminds me I have a UPS hanging around (connected to an old defunct tower PC) not doing anything...

Back