Streamimg to DLNA TV

devbias

I was looking to modify my firmware to stream my recordings from my HDR fox T2 to my Sony Tv upstairs. The new offical 1.20 firmware with the stream server capabilities for the HDR T2 cannot do this with my Sony TV.

I can use the the Humax HDR T2 as a stream server no problem and a PS3 or PC client can browse the HDR T2 and play recordings without issues.
However when a DLNA TV attempts this I get the message "playback unavialable"
My TV set im trying to stream to is a Sony KDL40EX403. Ive spoken to Sony and been given all the different file types/containers the Sony can handle over DLNA so it appears to be the Humax recording format not compatable with my Sony DLNA capabilities.

The only solution I can think of is attach a HD Fox to the TV im trying to stream to and use that as a client but I want to go direct to the Sony as I will still need that on my network anyway and its getting a little crowded.

Im open to suggestions on how to get the Humax to stream to the Sony without having to have a PC switched on all the time to do this.
I think this is the idea thats being sold to the consumer without the need to remove convert and replace recodring in order to this.

DLNA provides a protocol for a player device to find material on the network, but if the player can't understand the .ts file that the Humax records you're stuffed. If you used the Humax to store a .mpg or something you should find you can play that.

The best way we know to stream from the HDR without a PC is to use an HD-FOX as a player, and even then it suffers from a 4GB file limit bug.

DLNA provides a protocol for a player device to find material on the network, but if the player can't understand the .ts file that the Humax records you're stuffed. If you used the Humax to store a .mpg or something you should find you can play that.

The best way we know to stream from the HDR without a PC is to use an HD-FOX as a player, and even then it suffers from a 4GB file limit bug.

Thats what I feared. I got it streaming very well to PS3 but I was hoping to embed some kind of media server application onto the HDR T2 so I could stream direct to my Sony TV.
A know all the formats the Sony TV can read .ts being one but its also got to have the correct codec/container aswell as extention.

Would help if anyone could supply me with full format in which the Humax records to the HDD. I know its Mpeg2 .ts but what extention is it using as my Sony TV can read the following.........AVC, MRTS, MTS

If it's any help, here's what VLC said about a stream of C5's Morecamb & Wise Christmas Show:

Stream 0:
Type: Video​
Original ID: 540​
Codec: mpgv​
Resolution: 704x576​
Display resolution: 704x576​
Frame rate: 25​

Stream 1:
Type: Audio​
Original ID: 541​
Codec: mpga​
Language: English​
Channels: Stereo​
Sample rate: 48000 Hz​
Bitrate: 192 kb/s​

StDef of course, you won't get anywhere with HiDef unless you apply decryption first.

If you google what files your sony can play you will find they are propriety Sony, Panasonic files, no suprise there then. I've used Sony gear professionally for many years and they never make things easy. They'll invent a new format rather than use a common one, goes back to betamax days. I don't hold out much hope of you being able to stream directly to your TV.

If it's any help, here's what VLC said about a stream of C5's Morecamb & Wise Christmas Show:

Stream 0:
Type: Video​
Original ID: 540​
Codec: mpgv​
Resolution: 704x576​
Display resolution: 704x576​
Frame rate: 25​

Stream 1:
Type: Audio​
Original ID: 541​
Codec: mpga​
Language: English​
Channels: Stereo​
Sample rate: 48000 Hz​
Bitrate: 192 kb/s​

StDef of course, you won't get anywhere with HiDef unless you apply decryption first.

Thats a great help may thanks.

I can see from your post that the stream is mpg .ts and the Sony can decode mpg .ps So its the container which is causing the problem.
I have been trying to contact Humax today to see if I can change the default container but the phones are very busy with some swichtover down south that has taken the 9150 & 9300 out and the switch board is over loaded.

Ive sent an email to support but dont hold out much hope of reply from other posters comments when trying that route with Humax.

If you google what files your sony can play you will find they are propriety Sony, Panasonic files, no suprise there then. I've used Sony gear professionally for many years and they never make things easy. They'll invent a new format rather than use a common one, goes back to betamax days. I don't hold out much hope of you being able to stream directly to your TV.

I will use wiki to demonstrate below

Container formats

MPEG-2 specified 2 container formats, ts and ps. Containers hold video and audio information in them, and package them up so it can be sent over a network or stored on disk.
  • ts (Transport Stream) should be used to store or send data where data loss will probably occur, such as over a network.
  • ps (Program Stream) should be used to store or send data where data loss is not likely, such as on a DVD.
Both ps and ts can transport MPEG-4 Video, but only ts can send MPEG-4 Audio. In addition, MPEG-4 specifies its own container format, mp4 (see MPEG-4)

As most manufactures are using the ability to stream to another Tv in the house as a major selling point. It would be unfair for them to assume that they have a product which meets your every need for every room and a common format should be the solution. eg. DLNA or at least make the consumer aware that there network protocol is unique to them as Sony did back with betamax. Its happen quite recently with Bluray (sony again i might add) and HDdvd and the consumer chose the winner.
If a manufacturer decides to adopt there own format make the consumer aware and if it is the better system the consumer will buy it.

Pointless; they're not going to change the container format!

Still not had a reply to my major fault report.

Don't hold you're breath with Humax support, still waiting for a reply for over a month after sending multiple emails. Anyway the early days of the humax 9200 we all had problems trying to playback .ts files then one day someone said try renaming them to .mpg files and hey presto it worked, so as an exercise try renaming a .ts file to a .mpg see if it works

I was going to start a new topic but this seems closely related enough to my query. So the channel 5 gadget show web site says "
You can also stream the programmes you’ve recorded on the HDR-FOX T2 to other UPnP devices on your home network – your laptop, for instance.
"
Can someone please point me in the right direction and explain exactly how I can stream off the T2 onto my laptop (Mac MBP). I am using an edimax wifi dongle, So far I have:

1. successfully ftp'd the the T2 using filezilla and am able to download files from it
2. I also have a QNAP server which the T2 can see and stream HD camcorder footage from.
3. I have been able to save a SD file using the usb function and then copy over to my MBP and play the file with sound using VLC
What I really want to be able to do is stream straight from the T2 to my laptop, say to take the laptop to bed to finish watching something I have previously recorded in the lounge on the T2. Is the gadget show website correct? or do I need to use the hacked firmware to achieve this? By the way where exactly can I download the firmware hacl and read more about it please? Thanks

I was going to start a new topic but this seems closely related enough to my query. So the channel 5 gadget show web site says "
You can also stream the programmes you’ve recorded on the HDR-FOX T2 to other UPnP devices on your home network – your laptop, for instance.
"
Can someone please point me in the right direction and explain exactly how I can stream off the T2 onto my laptop (Mac MBP). I am using an edimax wifi dongle, So far I have:

1. successfully ftp'd the the T2 using filezilla and am able to download files from it
2. I also have a QNAP server which the T2 can see and stream HD camcorder footage from.
3. I have been able to save a SD file using the usb function and then copy over to my MBP and play the file with sound using VLC
What I really want to be able to do is stream straight from the T2 to my laptop, say to take the laptop to bed to finish watching something I have previously recorded in the lounge on the T2. Is the gadget show website correct? or do I need to use the hacked firmware to achieve this? By the way where exactly can I download the firmware hacl and read more about it please? Thanks

XBMC without the custom firmware, is the best option, however there is no ff or rw, so you would have to watch from the start, and SD files only.

with the custom firmware, enable samba, decrypt the file, and you will find you can stream HD and SD with ff and rw, to various media players

I used to use XBMC but my laptop struggled with it because it's about 6 years old now. Now I find the easiest solution is to get the DLNA URL of what I want to watch from the media browser in webif and then just paste it into the network stream box in VLC, works a treat. I don't know if this would work for HiDef or not (guessing not) but that's not a problem for me for the time being as we're still 2 months away from DSO down here on the south coast! One day VLC will pull their finger out and add DLNA capabilities to the Windows version of the player.

Devbias - have you managed to get anywhere with streaming to your Sony? I've got two Sony TVs in the house (a KDL-32W5810 and a KDL-32ex523) and I'm having what appears to be the same problem on both (or at very least, neither play anything from the HDR-Fox T2 :()

From what I can tell, it should be possible to use ffmpeg to re-encode the file in a format which Sony devices will read, but I'd appreciate some input from yourself or anyone else who's had experience doing this

Streaming to Sony is possible if you have a PC running Serviio. I have mounted via Samba the Media Disk on the PC running Serviio. Serviio is then configured to pick this up and transcode it making it available to Sony (KDL-2EX320). I did have to modify the Serviio configure file to read a .ts file. It works a treat.

Teacup - thanks for that, unfortunately I'm somewhat determined to do it 'vanilla' just using the customised firmware and the kit on its own. Partly because I'm stubborn when it comes to technical things, partly because I don't have any other kit to run inbetween, and partly because I'd like this to be a seamless as possible so that other members of the household can play recordings throughout the house without needing a programming degree ;)

Back