[tempmon] Monitor temperature and take action if too high.

Could I suggest that the 'Alert If' default be raised to 60 Dec C?, I appreciate this is high when the Fan package is in use, but when this package isn't running, it is quite normal for the 'Worst' temperature for the factory fitted 500MB hard drive to reach 57 / 58 Dec C. so there will be a lot of users panicking

I'm in two minds about that. You're right of course but I imagine that this package will be installed by those who are concerned about the temperature of their disk and will therefore likely have used fan and sysmon previously. Although the AV disks are generally specified to work up to 75C, the manufacturer SMART data still reports a failure if it exceeds a far lower threshold - in the case of my new 4TB disk, 55C.
I suppose the counter argument is that the people I'm talking about are also perfectly capable of setting sensible thresholds for themselves tuned for their particular unit..

I would suggest "display" instead of "screen" in "Front panel LED ring and screen will flash".

If you know what the SMART temp. threshold is, could you not set the warning to that rather than something fixed?

Just installed this for the first time as installed a new HDD as recommended in a thread, seagate skyhawk 2TB. I think it might run slightly hotter than the old pipeline model but when it got to 55, I spotted the SMART data table said the HDD temp was high and it was failing(!). I installed the fan package and has set it to 50% but I think it's going to stay around the 50 degrees. I guess what I'm wanting to know if what would be a sensible increase to the threshold levels for this drive?

Also, how do you / can you stop the ring colour cycling once you've acknowledged the over temp? Also, when it goes below the threshold it doesn't return back to just blue if it's just watching and not recording, it stay pink/purple.

Thanks

Rodp

I guess what I'm wanting to know if what would be a sensible increase to the threshold levels for this drive?
Suck it and see.
Also, how do you / can you stop the ring colour cycling once you've acknowledged the over temp? Also, when it goes below the threshold it doesn't return back to just blue if it's just watching and not recording, it stay pink/purple.
I found this annoying too. I think the only way is to reboot.

Got sysmon installed too but that only charts the temperature so thought I'd give tempmon ago to see what it was like. Re the chart below, I made the change to the fan speed at about 10pm to 50% fan speed so it looks like it took an hour to actually make a significant difference. I might have rebooted too about 10.30, so perhaps the change in fan speed didn't work until then. I'll perhaps keep the tempmon settings as they are and scale back the fan speed to say 40% but would still like some advice on what the normal acceptable working temperature could be for my HDD.

Thanks

Rodp

1600389208762.png

I might have rebooted too about 10.30, so perhaps the change in fan speed didn't work until then.
Frequently packages require a reboot after installation, but if you have rebooted since installation changing the fan setting should have had immediate effect.

I'll perhaps keep the tempmon settings as they are and scale back the fan speed to say 40% but would still like some advice on what the normal acceptable working temperature could be for my HDD.
My fan at 52% (It's inaudible so why not and I might even up it a bit) and the HDD temp is currently (and usually around) 42deg.
Why would you "like to scale it back to 40%"? If you can't hear it, then leave it as high as poss to keep HDD as cool as poss.

would still like some advice on what the normal acceptable working temperature could be for my HDD.
That's difficult to say, it depends on the environment, but as a hardware engineer I am absolutely certain that a constant temperature is better for the long-term health of electronics and mechanics than an oscillating temperature.

I'll perhaps keep the tempmon settings as they are and scale back the fan speed to say 40% but would still like some advice on what the normal acceptable working temperature could be for my HDD.
Why do you want to scale the fan speed down? As a general rule lower, constant temperature is better. The Skyhawks are rated for use in temperatures between 0 C and 60 C although elsewhere the data sheet talks about 70C max case temperature.

Have settled on 50% (no real reason just that it's quiet), hdd about 42-47 deg C.

It seems however the speed of the fan does not change gradually, it jumps from one speed to another eg 74% then 75%, there is a big increase of speed. Might measure it a bit more scientifically if I get the chance. It sounds like the fan speed app is limited in what it can do as the hardware controlling the fan is stepped. (Sorry don't know the technical jargon).

Why bother, just set it and forget it (other than the occasional look at the HDD temp). It just works and who cares if it isn't perfect (and I'm not intimating that it isn't), it's one hell of a lot better than the Humax version.

it's one hell of a lot better than the Humax version.
Not at 75% it isn't, that's far too high, I guess nobody has noticed the step from 74% to 75% for that very reason, there is no point putting up with that much fan noise, the main reason for creating the 'Fan' package was to reduce noise

It seems however the speed of the fan does not change gradually, it jumps from one speed to another eg 74% then 75%, there is a big increase of speed. Might measure it a bit more scientifically if I get the chance. It sounds like the fan speed app is limited in what it can do as the hardware controlling the fan is stepped. (Sorry don't know the technical jargon).
Take a look at the fan package thread if you want to know how much discussion and feedback there has been about the actual behaviour of the fan.

Forum >> HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware >> Index of Package Primary Topics >> fan

... the speed of the fan does not change gradually, it jumps from one speed to another eg 74% then 75%, there is a big increase of speed. ...

As the author noted:
... Unfortunately it isn't just a matter of setting a fan speed but of programming an on-chip pulse width modulator using an undocumented API.
and
I think it's worth restating that the thing that is being varied by this package is the width of the on pulse from the PWM output. The slider in the web interface may not linearly affect the fan speed, although it's certainly true that higher values do make the fan run faster.
So monotonic but not linear.

The not publicly documented API is NEXUS_Pwm_SetOnInterval(), and here (lines 111ff.) is an example of someone using it.

Back