TheTVDB.com Integration

Unfortunately I haven't had time to look at this again since the first release and I'm not going to manage to do anything over the weekend either, sorry. I will get back to it and work out whether it's useful in any way and how to properly integrate it.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to look at this again since the first release and I'm not going to manage to do anything over the weekend either, sorry. I will get back to it and work out whether it's useful in any way and how to properly integrate it.
I am sure we can allow you to have a weekend away from the Humax once in a while! ;)

In a ideal world the Freeview EPG data would have dedicated fields for episode numbers and episode names and each series would be uniquely identified and easily matched to external data sources but we live in a far from ideal world where you are forced to parse data hidden in varying conventions in a free text Synopsis field. Unfortunately we cant rely on broadcaster to always provide consistent and correct information. I have noticed that program synopsis information offers differs between BBC One SD and BBC One HD for the exact same program while CBS action has flagged several episodes of Dexter as single recordings rather than part of the series (thank goodness RS Auto scheduling picked them up!)

I think with sufficient programming and processing effort that most of the anomalies that have been identified so far Could be resolved by searching all potential matching series in theTVDB database and improving the synopsis matching algorithms but that there will always still be a significant number of cases where matching is not possible because there is insufficient information in the EPG data and/or in the theTVDB database to provide a valid unique match.

Personally I am not sure that the extra information that can be obtained from theTVDB is sufficiently valuable to be worth the effort of collecting it and I think that af123's valuable time would probably be better spent improving, where possible, the parsing of EPG synopsis data for use by Dedup and Sweeper and working on some of the other suggestions on the To Do list.

I have a few TV planner apps on my android phone which I use regularly. I don't know where these get their data from, but they show series, episode and also if the programme is a repeat. One even shows cast details.

Perhaps a more robust option would be to capture this or similar information at the EPG or scheduling stage - perhaps via RS.

Trying to match against large, historic and possibly not UK databases looks full of problems and potential errors. I accept that my suggestion would help with recordings already made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even if this doesn't work 100% for everything I feel that for the series that it does work with it would be a real asset to the Humax.

I have a few TV planner apps on my android phone which I use regularly. I don't know where these get their data from, but they show series, episode and also if the programme is a repeat. One even shows cast details.

Perhaps a more robust option would be to capture this or similar information at the EPG or scheduling stage - perhaps via RS.

Trying to match against large, historic and possibly not UK databases looks full of problems and potential errors. I accept that my suggestion would help with recordings already made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which tv apps have you got?

Feersum, On Air & TV24 on Android and Radio Times on ios.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back