[tunefix] Automatic channel organisation and maintenance

Well something did it. Back to my post #68 and prpr at #69. What exactly was the 'it' that I was referring to that did it?
Yes, it will have been renumber/reorder, as it doesn't get deactivated when uninstalled. Nasty :). There was no way it could have been anything else really.

Nice package, many thanks. Minor improvement for a future version, please could the channel number boxes for the force channel numbers be wide enough to accommodate 4 digits instead of 3. I have BBC One London assigned to channel 1001, which currently shows on the settings page as simply '100’.
Done. Will be published shortly. Interestingly, on my browser it shows 4 quite happily.

you're welcome to that code if it's something you want to integrate into tunefix. Fine if you don't want to too.
Not convinced it's necessary at this point.
Currently tunefix doesn't provide a way (as far as I can see) to do what you want though (swap HD and SD channel positions).
You can just force e.g. "BBC ONE <region>" to 101 and "BBC ONE HD" to 1 as suggested in #46.
There is no 'swapping' as such, but this achieves the same thing.

There is an Up Arrow button to transfer one or more channels from the list on the bottom right to the "force" list on the top right. This saves you having to retype channel names when you want to add one to the "force" list. It also focuses the first LCN box ready for you to type something in.
All this front-end stuff was courtesy of af123, at my request.

Thanks for noticing!

Just as another aside, why don't you put BBC3 HD as a default shift? When you have BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Ch 4.

BBC3 HD is not regionalised, nor is BBC3 for that matter. The defaults are set up to cope with service names that potentially differ across nations/regions which would otherwise mean that the LCN mapping rules would fail. I think I explained this in post #1 ;).

Thanks for that prpr.
Ah, I see, but unless one knows the ins and outs of regionalisation, one cannot really understand your paragraph 4, and if you don't live in an area of multiple regions, one might not read and try to understand it as well as one might, especially if you are a bit slow to 'catch on':).

Got round to tracking down why this hasn't been working for me. It turns out that up here in Manchester, tunefix when it initialises wants to force the local channel "That's Manchester" to channel 8. Including the line "FORCE:8:That's Manchester" in the configuration file results in a program error - tunefix throws an uncaught exception resulting in "terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::string' being logged by the system". I'd guess the apostrophe in the channel name is messing up the string handling and needs escaping in some way (or at least catch the exception) - need the source to diagnose further. Removing that FORCE line results in everything working as expected. I didn't check if including the offending name in the "remove by name" list works.

Great improvement on channel delete package. Thanks.

I am in South Manchester (Winter Hill).

No issues here. That's Manchester is on channel 8.

It was noted previously that the apostrophe causes a problem. Replace it with a * and it works.

It deleted no issues for me when the ' was replaced with *.

I am in South Manchester (Winter Hill).

No issues here. That's Manchester is on channel 8.

It was noted previously that the apostrophe causes a problem. Replace it with a * and it works.

It deleted no issues for me when the ' was replaced with *.

I can't find anywhere in this thread suggesting that tunefix doesn't support names with apostrophes in them. If that's right it probably ought to be mentioned in the announcing post (and apostrophes probably should be replaced in any line it generates!).

(Usually, program errors resulting from user input are best avoided.)

Thinking back...

Before tunefix was available, I used the channeldel package. That is where I had an issue with That's Manchester not being deleted. That is when the suggestion of replacing the ' with a * came about. It obviously worked.

When I installed tunefix I believe it read the config form channeldel and thus had the previously modified That's Manchester entry.

Sorry for the confusion.

Got round to tracking down why this hasn't been working for me. It turns out that up here in Manchester, tunefix when it initialises wants to force the local channel "That's Manchester" to channel 8. Including the line "FORCE:8:That's Manchester" in the configuration file results in a program error - tunefix throws an uncaught exception resulting in "terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::string' being logged by the system". I'd guess the apostrophe in the channel name is messing up the string handling and needs escaping in some way (or at least catch the exception) - need the source to diagnose further. Removing that FORCE line results in everything working as expected. I didn't check if including the offending name in the "remove by name" list works.
I thought I'd trapped that (and tested it). What version of tunefix are you on? If it's not 1.0.4-2 then might I suggest you retry once you have updated.
Great improvement on channel delete package. Thanks.
Thanks.
(Usually, program errors resulting from user input are best avoided.)
I quite agree.

A ? character would be more appropriate as that matches a single character. I believe this only applies to tunefix and not to channeldel.
But it should not be necessary in the first place...

Agreed. But at the time I simply followed the suggestion.

Thanks again for your hard work. It really is a good package.

Updated from 1.0.4-2 to 1.0.5, reinstated offending line, rebooted. xinit log shows tunefix ran and no sign of exception. Thanks

Tunefix 1.0.8 will give you another option, but you have to configure it manually (at least for now).
Add a line containing:
MUX:xx
to /mod/boot/tunefix.conf
and reboot. All services will disappear from the mux. which is on RF channel xx.
You can use multiple lines, or ranges (xx-yy) or a comma delimited list (or any combinations thereof) to get rid of anything you don't want.

Back