TV Diary - add-on web interface

Request: please include MP4 files in the Video Inventory.

It may be intentional, but at the moment it seems like MP4 are not included in the Inventory.

I occasionally dump the streaming buffer into a file, e.g. if I've missed an episode of something and get it via the BBC iplayer on the Portal, then put the episode's resulting MP4 file in the series folder with the other episodes. But the Inventory doesn't show it.

I know there's not necessarily any useful metadata, but if the file is named sensibly it would be useful to show it, please?

thanks much...

I've uploaded a new version of TV Diary = 0.0.3-1.

You can see a snapshot view at http://www.wink.eclipse.co.uk/tvdiary/

This version includes EPG searching, and a watchlist that suggests programmes you might want to record or watch, taking into account what you've already seen.

After installing the update (which may take a couple of minutes to upgrade and optimize the database if you have a pre-0.0.3 version) you need to go to the TV Diary settings in order to enable the new functionality.

The Programme Search tab now includes a Search EPG button as well as the Search Diary button. You can try some search criteria against what you've already watched, then try the same against the EPG. This can be helpful checking programmes that have prefixes such as "New:".

If you enable the watchlist functionality, the Watchlist tab allows you to define the watchlist specification (by pressing Modify) and shows the matching events, filtered by your TV Diary history.
The specification format is currently text fields delimited by the vertical stroke character. In the future I plan to provide interactive interfaces to edit it, and look into auto-populating it.
The fields are:
Code:
title-comparison|title-text|channel-comparison|channel-text|synopsis-comparison|synopsis-text|

Example:
Code:
C|grand designs|C||C||
C|Endeavour|C||C||
C|lewis|C||C||
C|morse|C||C||
C|Formula 1|C||C||

The comparison operator characters are:
C - contains
E - equals
S - starts
F - finishes
M- matches
(The terminology isn't quite what appears in EPG searching, but Ends and Equals would clash. It'll be clearer when there's a UI for editing.)

The watchlist is normally calculated in the background just once at the start of the day, but when you modify the specification it'll be scheduled to start within a minute or so, and coming back to the Watchlist tab will show the results. While it's being recalculated you may get temporary messages that the TV Diary DB is locked; don't worry, just refresh after a while.

The watchlist caption shows the number of matches found, and the number that are already scheduled for recording, or repeats (determined by their event CRIDs or by the deja vu synopsis comparison). These numbers can be clicked on to filter those programme events out, as they're not so interesting.

On the snapshot web site I've only included a week of history, so the watchlist includes far more programmes as new. In reality more would flagged as repeats, particularly Grand Designs, Time Team and The Big Bang Theory which get repeated constantly, but not in a sensible order, so showing only those you haven't seen yet is invaluable.

The Watchlist tab really shows a detailed view of the matching events, but a better view of the suggested programmes is displayed on the Daily TV Diary tab for today or future days. This shows programmes grouped by the programme rather individual events, so it's easier to scan through to see if they're interesting. Again, the count of repeats is clickable to filter them out or show them.

The icons against programmes have changed a little. The deja vu repeat icon is now semi-transparent because it's less reliable (some programmes always have the same synopsis). The solid repeat icon is now for where programme events have the same event CRID, which I'm hoping is more reliable. There are also recording and recording series icons, to help show why it's in your future diary. There are semi-transparent versions to show programmes that are being recorded but at a different time.

Attachments

• epgsearch.png
    epgsearch.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 9
  • settings.png
    settings.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 9
  • watchlist.png
    watchlist.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 9
  • suggestions.png
    suggestions.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 8
If I go to TV-Diary >> Watchlist >> Modify, I get 'source file does not exist' when I click on 'save', I get the same if the line is C|news|C||C||

diary-watch-error.jpg

Oops - it's trying to back up the old specification config file without checking it exists. 0.0.3-2 on its way.
And the dummy value has the parameters in the wrong order, so fixing that too.
-----------
0.0.3-2 tested and uploaded.
The watchlist specification lines may also be commented out by putting a # at the start of the line. The dummy line it comes up with includes that now.

Thanks That Fixed it, replacing '#C|title-text|C|channel-text|C|synopsis-text|' with 'C|news|C||C||' now works with ver 0.0.3-2
An option to turn off 'Suggested new programmes' would be useful
BTW
I have updated the WiKi page for TV-Diary with the new additions HERE

another request to please consider...

Since the main WebIF Schedule doesn't show all linked programmes, nor seem to show conflicts, I use TV Diary's "To be recorded" summary to check for conflicts.

It would be really handy if this view also included pending scheduled events; i.e. events that have been added via WebIF (or even rs?) but not yet in the main Humax schedule because there's not yet been a reboot.

Often, our box is tied up for hours on end, recording/playing for the family, whilst I would like to be able to review upcoming conflicts using TV Diary. But at the moment, it doesn't seem to include pending events.

This could be optional, of course, and perhaps pending events should be marked as such, if optionally included.

thanks much for considering...

I did try to incorporate pending events, and designed how I'd display pending additions and removals, but I'm not sure that pending events are actually deterministic.
In the rsv.db, TBL_RESERVATION, the aulEventToRecordInfo column contains the critical information about which instances of a programme will actually be recorded.
I think those details are determined by the actual Humax's program logic, doing best fit and negotiating with the user for picking alternatives. I don't think this is easy to replicate to independently come up with identical information.
I assumed this was why the WebIf schedule doesn't show as much information for pending events as it does for confirmed events.

My box is often tied up, which is why I don't really like to use the WebIf scheduling, and why the TV Diary is more aimed towards supporting scheduling through the remote control.

I'm very happy to be corrected if someone can show a mapping from other table contents to the aulEventToRecordInfo. But I think the negotiation process around clashes is a killer.
If someone can tell me a reliable algorithm I'll very gladly make the change.

cheers...

My TVDiary log is full of errors saying:
Code:
Building watchlist failed. [The /var/lib/humaxtv/rsv.db database is missing.]
I can browse rsv.db fine.
I presume that is also related to the fact that when I go to the TV Diary it often has things like 'Sorry, unavailable due to server error' showing in the To Be Recorded section and things. When I does I can refresh the page and it works fine.
Should I just ignore it? Does it suggest something else is wrong somewhere else?
I don't think it has ever worked properly on my box. I only installed TV Diary a few weeks ago to have a play and see if it was of use to me.

The file name in the error message is wrong, and has been corrected in the available version. It should say "/mod/etc/tvdiary_watchlist.txt" instead.
To silence the logging you can either go to the Watchlist tab in the TV Diary and edit the watchlist. Or, if you don't want to use the watchlist, go to the TV Diary Settings and turn the watchlist off.
I think in the latest version the optional features are turned off by default.

Not sure why the server error message would regularly appear. It will flash up if you interrupt the page's download to navigate away. Otherwise only the timeout getting a lock is the only one you might see more often.

The file name in the error message is wrong, and has been corrected in the available version. It should say "/mod/etc/tvdiary_watchlist.txt" instead.
That is odd - I have auto-update working and it is still giving that filename. But that isn't really important.

To silence the logging you can either go to the Watchlist tab in the TV Diary and edit the watchlist. Or, if you don't want to use the watchlist, go to the TV Diary Settings and turn the watchlist off.
I think in the latest version the optional features are turned off by default.
Thanks. That is perfect. I have turned the watchlist off for now and will turn it on if/when I have a play with putting something in there.

Not sure why the server error message would regularly appear. It will flash up if you interrupt the page's download to navigate away. Otherwise only the timeout getting a lock is the only one you might see more often.
I'm not too bothered by it. The only reason I noticed the errors in the log was because I was checking all the logs to see why the box kept crashing (Twonky upgrade on my NAS) and I spotted it in there. So I am all happy for now. One day I will get round to looking at TVDiary in more detail and I'll probably have more questions then ;)

Am I correct in thinking that setting the "Enable watchlist" switch to "No" should prevent the watched table from being populated?

On all three of my boxes this toggle has no effect. I have the other three switches set to "Yes" and start of day set at 6:00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I correct in thinking that setting the "Enable watchlist" switch to "No" should prevent the watched table from being populated?

On all three of my boxes this toggle has no effect. I have the other three switches set to "Yes" and start of day set at 6:00.
It should. With it off the Watchlist tab in the UI shouldn't appear, the daily suggestions tables shouldn't appear, and in the log you shouldn't see the watchlist DB table being updated over night.
When you press the Update Settings button, you should see the parameters echoed briefly. They appear in the order the settings appear in the UI, so watchlist value should be 0 one from the last digit.

(Sorry for the delay, I missed the thread notification email.)

Yes, I can see now that it toggles the watched tab.

I was expecting it to toggle the watched list tat sits below the recorded list in the first tab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found a problem this morning with the TVDiary Watchlist causing it to appear empty and lots of logging to be generated.
This is down to changes in the EPG database schema.
I've generated a fix for this, and existing TVDiary databases should be migrated automatically.

Please update to tvdiary 0.0.3-3, and I suggest going to the TVDiary log file and clearing it as it'll probably have grown a bit by now.

Back