Wake up HDR FOX T2 remotely - possible or not?

HuMac

Well, the title kinda says it all. I've got a sneaky feeling that the answer will be "no", but here goes...

The scenario:
I find myself wanting to access my HDR FOX T2 (either using the Web-if or loading some content on/off its HDD using an FTP client), only to find that the thing is asleep/in standby. Now, so criminally lazy am I that I'd rather chew my own leg off than have to go downstairs and press that big "ON" button, so I'm wondering if there's any way of sending a "wake up" signal to it?

I've tried searching this topic on the forum, but it just brings up threads about "remote scheduling", which isn't really what I'm on about - or have I got that completely wrong?

No you can't, but there is a solution that requires a bit of hardware. You can use an infrared sender (costs about £20-25). You will also need a second remote. A cheap solution is to buy a Seki slim for about £10. This is a simple remote that just has six buttons, but it is a learning remote and copies the IR signals from the original.

Another (free) alternative is to schedule recurring reminders for the time periods you are likely to want to access it remotely so that it turns itself on automatically.

Although I haven't seen the problems myself it is reported that reminders are more reliable than using Power on/off events scheduled via the Humax settings menu

The problem with power on/off events is that mismatched events lead to misoperation of the box (delinquent standby etc), and multiple on/off events are outside the normal spec for the box (they could be created by custom means, but not using the SUI).

At least one user has an IR emitter connected to a Raspberry Pi so that an ON/OFF command can be sent remotely using the RPi as a network connected remote server.

If you want to go mad, then a fancy remote control solution like Logitech Harmony will also do what you want. You could control it from your phone :)

Will cost a fair bit more than the above, though.

The problem with power on/off events is that mismatched events lead to misoperation of the box (delinquent standby etc), and multiple on/off events are outside the normal spec for the box (they could be created by custom means, but not using the SUI).

At least one user has an IR emitter connected to a Raspberry Pi so that an ON/OFF command can be sent remotely using the RPi as a network connected remote server.

I have had a similar thought, but my thinking was to have a device like a R-Pi ping the box about every 5 minutes, and if the ping was not answered then send the IR for power on.

A frustrating period while away and wanting to set up some programming, only the Hummy went into standby on reboot started my thinking ...

Back