WiKi – Custom Firmware Documentation

So when I mentioned in this thread about issues with updates I was criticised (by others) because the Wiki/Forums are apparently nothing to do with the update server, yet it is the same server.
The reason you were criticised is because the forum hosting IS NOT anything to do with RS/wiki/CF hosting. The "Site/Forum Issues" section of the forum is specifically for announcements and queries relating to the operation of the forum.

What does "Site/" mean then? If it's just the forum that why say site at all? It is confusing and unnecessary.

You need to understand the history. The forum was set up by Michael to take up where another Humax usergroup forum died and left hanging. Custom firmware and wiki etc were not even a twinkle then. The "site" in question is hummy.tv, not hummypkg.org.uk. That the forum has become overwhelmingly HD/HDR/CF orientated is a matter of serendipity, not original intent.

You are relatively new here, just because you don't know something doesn't mean it is not known.

So when I mentioned in this thread about issues with updates I was criticised (by others) because the Wiki/Forums are apparently nothing to do with the update server, yet it is the same server.
Hmm...

I guess I should have checked and not necessarily believe what other people write.
wiki.hummy.tv and hummypkg.org.uk are both on the same server which is hosted by af123.
The hummy.tv forum just links to the wiki provided there.

Editing Wiki: I think I may have worked out one of the reasons why some USB drives don't appear to work when carrying out a customer firmware upgrade. Forgive me, if this has already been posted before. I got hold of a USB drive which was already formatted in FAT32, I copied the firmware onto the root of the drive and plugged it in, but every time I restarted the HDR it would just boot normally, ignoring the upgrade file. The box still recognised the USB drive though. I tried reformatting it (in Windows 7) and it still wouldn't work. I was about to give up, then I decided to do a full format as opposed to using the Quick Format option I had been using previously. This fixed it and the upgrade file was recognised fine. It might be worth adding to the wiki as one of the possible solutions - sorry I don't have write access to the wiki.

{Full format} . . . It might be worth adding to the wiki as one of the possible solutions - sorry I don't have write access to the wiki.
There is already this note at the bottom of the 'Install Modified Firmware ' page :-

* Removing all other files / re-formatting can prevent file fragmentation

However I have added the word Full i.e. :-

* Removing all other files / full-formatting can prevent file fragmentation

PS, have you looked at the possibility of carrying out upgrades via the WebIF? I'm sure that's been asked before too!

All Web-If packages can be upgraded via the Web-If already, but as you say, the Custom Firmware containing the 'hooks' for the Web-if is currently only upgradeable via USB, there is a problem in installing it after boot-up as the CF is already running, it may be possible to download and store the upgrade package via the Web-If and then fool the Humax into seeing it as a USB upgrade on the next boot-up, that would be for af123 to deal with

What? The WebIF package updates just the same as all the others. The only thing that needs manual intervention is the CF itself.

I am not sure if this is normal for the wiki but ...

I looked on the http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Special:RecentChanges link recently. I was looking for a topic and noticed that there were a lot of new user accounts created. Initially I thought that it was for the Hummy.tv site but didnt notice many new posts.

I saw that alot of entries like (User creation log); 07:21 . . User account 194.46.119.31 (Talk) were created.

Then in the last few days there were a lot more user accounts created these specified named accounts – but no there seems to be no new posts to the site or changes to the wiki. Is this normal?

Is there a problem on the site or with the wiki?

Anyone wishing to become an editor on the Wiki has to register as a user... this may be the prelude to some kind of attack.

I am not sure if this is normal for the wiki but ...

I looked on the http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Special:RecentChanges link recently. I was looking for a topic and noticed that there were a lot of new user accounts created. Initially I thought that it was for the Hummy.tv site but didnt notice many new posts.

I saw that alot of entries like (User creation log); 07:21 . . User account 194.46.119.31 (Talk) were created.

Then in the last few days there were a lot more user accounts created these specified named accounts – but no there seems to be no new posts to the site or changes to the wiki. Is this normal?

Is there a problem on the site or with the wiki?
I have just looked at the "RecentChanges" page in your link, and to me, it looks like most/all of those user accounts are suspect. They seem to follow the same sort of naming pattern used by many spammers trying to join hummy.tv forum. Perhaps Ezra, or af123 can check them out, and deal with them as appropriate.

The unwelcome new users to the WiKi have been arriving in a constant stream for many months now (currently 2600+ attempts), it isn't a problem though because they are not allowed to edit the WiKi unless they are approved to do so and any non-approved uses are automatically removed after 7 days or so, at present the oldest non-approved user is 8 days old e.g. YvetteY32wkrgr (Talk | contribs) (Created on 18 August 2013 at 00:48). When a user is automatically removed the User Creation log converts the old user name into an IP address, so an entry like 'User account 194.46.119.31 (Talk) were created' shows it has been removed

I generally view the forums using Recent Activity. We seem to have gained several new members in the last few days, who give their location in a foreign country and with an included home page. These have appeared in the past but never seem to post anything.

They are usually removed by the moderators fairly quickly, the 'advert homepage links' is the only reason for creating these user accounts

I am currently sitting in a tent in the middle of a field, and have just dealt with a batch of 42 dubious new member user accounts.

For some time now, the Diagnostic Utilities page no longer seems to have a link on the main top level page. I am not sure how someone is supposed to find it. I usually use Special Pages >> All Pages >> Diagnostic Utilities but this seems a bit of a drag.

Back