“Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server” (!?)

Ex Libris

Bad start to the day. No toolbars or buttons. I had to type “shutdown -now” which had the effect of restoring normal service on reboot.

The communal dish has just been realigned. Picture quality on the FoxSat-HDR (Version 4.1.3) seems to have improved.

I haven’t used the WebIF for a couple of weeks. I’ve never bothered to set up a static IP address, and am used to troubleshooting the “Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server” message. This time I’m stuck. I’ve restarted the browser and confirmed the current address from the menu.

Same result on the old PC. I’ve rebooted the FoxSat several times. Everything else has network access, internet on the pcs, YouTube on the Aura and the TV. Obviously all services on the FoxSat ceased a while back.

I tried installing Telnet. It reports “Network is unavailable” for the IP address and port.

Any ideas?

I often experience that one of my Foxsat-HDRs doesn't get an IP address over DHCP.

On this particular box, it sometimes happens even with a static IP address setup. Unplugging the network cable and plugging it back in, it usually gets an IP address.

There might be some delicate timing issues between various components at startup.

It is hardwired. I apt-got-installed telnet and typed in a command from an internet search. As I say, I've never tried it before and am not sure of the commands and syntax. I tried unplugging the cable from the switch and rebooting the router.
If there's no contact with the router why do I have a different address from the one I bookmarked?
Not sure if I can access the router. I may simply have got the wrong password or possibly my ISP has locked it down somehow.
I have a brand new router which was on sale in Tesco and haven't got round to installing.

Not sure what I've done but it seems to have come back. Sorry to bother you all. It would be nice to know what happened, what I've done and what I can usefully do with Telnet.

Last edited:
Not sure what I've done but it seems to have come back.
You rebooted the router. It's not unusual to have network "funnies" which resolve when the router is rebooted.

As for apt-get installing Telnet, I presume you mean on your PC - I thought you meant on the Foxsat. Telnet is only going to work if the Foxsat is reachable on the network. What you can usefully do with it depends on what the Foxsat CF has been organised to provide, but you could at least have access to the operating system command line.

Router control panel: google it for your particular router. It would be unusual not to have one - mine is accessed on .254 (and requires a username and password - if yours is still on the default password, change it). Once in there I can see a list of all connected devices and what IP addresses are assigned to them.

You rebooted the router. It's not unusual to have network "funnies" which resolve when the router is rebooted.

As for apt-get installing Telnet, I presume you mean on your PC - I thought you meant on the Foxsat. Telnet is only going to work if the Foxsat is reachable on the network. What you can usefully do with it depends on what the Foxsat CF has been organised to provide, but you could at least have access to the operating system command line.

Router control panel: google it for your particular router. It would be unusual not to have one - mine is accessed on .254 (and requires a username and password - if yours is still on the default password, change it). Once in there I can see a list of all connected devices and what IP addresses are assigned to them.
As you say, these "funnies" can resolve themselves, but I'm sure I tried everything and rebooted before drafting the post, and I've never seen one quite so scary. I have a few encrypted files from 2014 before I installed the custom firmware.
I replaced the modem during the SHINE riots of May 2018. I'm sure I have seen the router control panel before and glanced at the IP addresses. I changed the default password. I think the new one may be one of my clever passwords that I can't type in properly after several attempts or don't have a proper note of.

Last edited:
Back