1100s real upgrade from Foxsat HDR ?

Arsh

I have had the Foxsat HDR running with the custom firmware for a few years and wondering if the 1100s can replace it fully.

I really want the on demand catch up players such as iplayer/itv Hub as part of my sat box as currently I'm having to specially use a separate Roku2 box for this purpose.

Can anyone please comment on the speeds and friendliness of the interface of the catchup player apps.
I find the Roku2 apps on the little slow and laggy side.

Secondly will I be able to add custom non freesat Sky satellite channels to my channel list and edit them as I can with current freesat-HDR box using web interface ?

Thirdly can this box work with plex/DLNA server to play file forMats such as Avi/MP4/MKV?

All the catch up apps with the exception of All 4 work fine. You can add non-freesat channels but not record them. No archiving of content or custom firmware or web interface. Remote scheduling app (unpaired) can be used as wifi remote control on smartphones and tablets. Unit has DLNA client that works with most common containers (and media playback from USB) but I doubt you will get it to work with .avi as this container can contain virtually any audio and codecs including totally uncompressed video content. Picture quality is superior to the Foxsat, I stream my Foxsat recordings via my HDR1000S because of the higher quality output.

All the catch up apps with the exception of All 4 work fine. You can add non-freesat channels but not record them. No archiving of content or custom firmware or web interface. Remote scheduling app (unpaired) can be used as wifi remote control on smartphones and tablets. Unit has DLNA client that works with most common containers (and media playback from USB) but I doubt you will get it to work with .avi as this container can contain virtually any audio and codecs including totally uncompressed video content. Picture quality is superior to the Foxsat, I stream my Foxsat recordings via my HDR1000S because of the higher quality output.

Thanks for your quick reply as its cleared things up very well.
Looks like 1100s is not a clear cut upgrade as I had hoped. Features like being able to record non free sat I can't go without. All4 missing also makes it incomplete replacemet for Roku.

Thanks for your quick reply as its cleared things up very well.
Looks like 1100s is not a clear cut upgrade as I had hoped. Features like being able to record non free sat I can't go without. All4 missing also makes it incomplete replacemet for Roku.

It's not missing it though it is widely reported as having issues, it works OK on my box though.

How do you stream from Foxsat to HDR1000S, please? (I assume would be the same for an HDR1100). I currently use Foxsat PVR's (with custom software) in preference to HDR1100 on grounds of reliability, but would be interested to see if there is a picture improvement using your streaming idea. Thanks

Why would there be a picture improvement? It's digital data. However the data gets there, it creates the same picture.

Then why do peeps claim that the picture from one box is 'better' than it is from another?
Many say that the SkyQ picture is 'not as good' as the Sky+ box. Others say it is "softer"

You know why: because they are not comparing like-for-like (get all the settings the same), and they are not comparing side-by-side (psychologically your impressions confirm what you expect unless you take measures to eliminate mental bias).

Back