2000t hard drive

caver99

Hi all I am new here and was wondering if someone might be able to help or point me in the right direction.

I have just got my hands on an 2000t not 200t like title sorry about that but I have one slit problem.

the hard drive doesn't spin up, I have tried another SATA drive and had the same symptom's as original does not spin up when powered up.

I have tried the original drive in an external docking station and it spins just fine so either the box is not telling power to switch on or there is a fault with the +5 /+12v lines to the drive as apart from this the box is working great all channels etc.

So it looks like you have acquired a set-top box that's just a set-top box and not a PVR. If that's how it was described to you, fine. If not: send it back.

all that was said was it was a freeview box and I got it for free with an apple tv 2 and didn't even know what it was till I powered it up and read the info in the settings.
don't even think it has been used much and in mint condition and internally is it extremely clean like its new.
the lady didn't even know what it was.
and after reading the forum I checked to see if it had an hdd inside and it does 500gb so am puzzled as to what could be the reason it doesn't get power but tomorrow I will dig out my test meter and check voltages and connections to see if there is something dead around the power connector to the hdd.

I can see to components right next to the power connector they are either resistors or fuses well hoping it may be as simple as that and also could try powering the hdd separately and see if it shows up on system.

right got hdd spinning in box now but insetting system the data storage is greyed out and media button isn't working and pressing menu and video returns me to normal tv.
I have updated the firmware and done a factory default and ticked format hdd.
and still press the record button and get the circle with line thro it is there something I maybe doing wrong now or is it just I have to live with not being able to use it as a recorder?

If it doesn't record, what does it do you can't do already? Sounds like junk to me, but at least you can salvage the HDD, and the PSU might be useful as a spare part to somebody.

The alternative is a lot of time thrown at investigation with no guarantee of success, when £100 or so buys a new one.

it works as a hd freeview box and the portal works fine only thing that doesn't work is the recording feature and nothing as I have a hd smart tv but the recording would have been useful.
I might try swapping out the hdd for a spare and test if its that as I haven't actually tested if the drive is working only that it spins.

ok I have found out what the problem is and it is the hard drive and although it spins up it is dead, I have just connected it to my desktop via the internal sata connectors and windows and esus does not see it so I popped in a 2.5 inch spare 250gb hdd and the 2000t saw it and said it needs formatting and now the recorbing featurs work as they should so looks like a replacement hdd is in order and might as well upgrade to 1tb while at it.

Back