2000T multiple HDDs?

hotbulb

Hi, new boy here. I've had a 2000T for a number of years, and have just found this forum. If I remove the (almost full) 500Gb hdd and replace it with a new 2Tb disk, will I still be able to view the programmes saved on the old disk if I swap the disks back? .... I'd be sad to lose the old stuff if swapping the old disk back in formatted it. Any thoughts, please?

will I still be able to view the programmes saved on the old disk if I swap the disks back?
I can't see any reason not.

It seems like hard work though - why not simply move the old content onto the new HDD? I'm not fully au fait with the limitations of the 2000T, but you might be able to (somebody will confirm):
  1. Remove old drive and fit new drive;

2. Use 2000T menus to format new drive (if not automatic);

3. Use SATA-USB adapter to connect old drive to 2000T by USB;

4. Either copy the content on the old drive onto the new drive, or view the old content directly from the USB-connected drive.
If that won't work for some reason, this will:

3. Remove new drive, connect both to a PC running Linux* (possibly as a live boot);

4. Use Linux to copy the content from the old drive into the equivalent directory on the new drive;

5. Refit the new drive into the 2000T.
* Do not use Windows - the file systems are incompatible.

It seems like hard work though - why not simply move the old content onto the new HDD? I'm not fully au fait with the limitations of the 2000T, but you might be able to (somebody will confirm):
  3. Use SATA-USB adapter to connect old drive to 2000T by USB;
  4. Either copy the content on the old drive onto the new drive, or view the old content directly from the USB-connected drive.
I can confirm that method works on an HDR-2000T.

Thank you, both. I hadn't tried out the USB connection before, so today found a largish USB pendrive, and copied a few recordings over- looks OK so far, although the transfers took longer than I'd expected. I'll dig out my SATA-USB adaptor.
Cheers :doublethumbsup:

Following your advice, I've found my SATA/USB adaptor: it works perfectly, and I can view files form the old HDD, transfer them to the new, copy to a pendrive etc. Excellent advice - thank you.
I have an older Humax box, currently in the attic, which unfortunately has no USB... I'll have to dig that out and see what can be done with its old recordings.... so I'll probably be back for further advice!

I have an older Humax box, currently in the attic, which unfortunately has no USB... I'll have to dig that out and see what can be done with its old recordings.... so I'll probably be back for further advice!
If the older box is a 9150T, 9200T or 9300T then recordings (which aren't encrypted) can be copied by extracting the hard drive and attaching it to a PC and using humaxrw software. Note that 9200T uses an IDE hard drive, the other two SATA hard drives.

Back