27 Feb 2018 Retune

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Yes, I know it's just after midnight on 27th, but Mendip just completely shut up shop (I'm still picking up Mynydd Machen).

The frequency change is only supposed to affect ARQA and COM7, but it looks like they've shut down the whole transmitter (without warning) to do it.

[Bob] "Er, Jason, I think that was the switch for the main transmitter ..."

[Jason] "Oops!"

What snow? All there was around here last night was a few flakes. It might have got so cold up there last night that the sheep smothered the transmitter trying to keep warm.

Thursday is the crunch time for us!

...but it looks like they've shut down the whole transmitter (without warning) to do it.
Don't think they did that at Waltham when they did the COM7/ARQA swap. (Didn't stay up to find out - and I don't remember trying to record anything)
The snow?
We had a yellow snow warning (!), then an amber snow warning, then downgraded to a yellow snow warning - and no snow!
Millions of pounds spent on supercomputers and computer modelling - and they can't get the forecast right. No wonder the BBC switched weather providers.
It might have got so cold up there last night that the sheep smothered the transmitter trying to keep warm.
Ah, microwaved lamb. Hope you're not a veggie. Got the mint sauce ready?

Ha, we are hopefully flying into Newcastle landing around midnight, assuming the 'plane comes out to Portugal. Then a trip over to Cumbria. You think you've got problems?

The frequency change is only supposed to affect ARQA and COM7, but it looks like they've shut down the whole transmitter (without warning) to do it.
"Local" was still going when I looked at about 00:15, but nothing else.
Did anybody know the transmitter would go off-line for a period?
I'm sure somebody did. I did, anyway!
The plan for most of them is PSB1-3 and COM4-8 subject to: shutdowns, switching breaks, loss of aerial redundancy, on reserve aerial - between roughly 00:00 and 06:00.
Everything was back when I looked at about 06:20 and I only had to reboot the T2s, not retune!

Don't think they did that at Waltham when they did the COM7/ARQA swap. (Didn't stay up to find out - and I don't remember trying to record anything)

We had a yellow snow warning (!), then an amber snow warning, then downgraded to a yellow snow warning - and no snow!
Millions of pounds spent on supercomputers and computer modelling - and they can't get the forecast right. No wonder the BBC switched weather providers.
Ah, microwaved lamb. Hope you're not a veggie. Got the mint sauce ready?

I know of the yellow snow warning to never eat yellow snow but what on earth is the amber one?

Bugger the warnings, we're stuck in Newcastle for the duration by the looks of the view from the hotel window. :mad:

Ch33 isn't getting to the far end of my pipe - I think I will have to try Ch45 from Wenvoe instead (I don't even have an aerial pointing in that direction)... no, nothing there either :(

Aha! Ch33 is showing 0% even at the near end of the pipe - I hadn't checked since tunefix-update did its thing on that box. I guess that means the aerial doesn't go down that low (Ch23 from Mynydd Machen, on a different aerial but mixed in, is fine).

On the other hand, that's around the channel used for UHF modulator outputs on VCRs etc. I seem to recall some years ago when Channel 5 came along, we were offered notch filters to stop it interfering with VCRs. I wonder if I have one of those in the system...

Time to invest in some new metalwork outside I reckon. And, by the sound of it, some decent cable and/or amp. inside.

Home at last, after four nights in a hotel.

Now the big switch on and see if all still works.

Back